USC Post-Interview wait... how long?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lionelhutz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long the wait is after an interview at USC for a student that is somewhat competitive to be informed? I interviewed in January so I think its somewhat early by USC standards. USC is my top choice so I'm going crazy :scared:
I know about the whole automatic waitlist thing but I can't imagine waiting until august to be informed that I'm going.

Members don't see this ad.

You and me both...this is driving me crazy. I heard that their next acceptance date is sometime in the next two weeks. They are very vague about it when you call them.

I talked to a friend of mine that is also applying this cycle and he also said that they might be making decisions sometime this week.
I guess we'll have to wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
how did you guys find out about your interviews? (email, phone call, mail?)

i just heard from usc via email today that i got in!.....i called in yesterday and they told me that i should call in sometime next week (tues or thrus) to see if my application was reviewed....but i guess i wont have to now :) im guessing that they will meet again sometime nextweek so call in for sure.

good luck to all you guys!

Yeah, me too! I am so relieved now... I just checked my email. It's a little weird for a bruin to be saying this, but I'm gonna be a trojan!

Are you both attending USC for sure?

If so, welcome to the Class of 2009!!! :D

LSN said:
Are you both attending USC for sure?

If so, welcome to the Class of 2009!!! :D

Count me in too. I just got an email from them.

looks like we all are attending 'sc in the fall! Congrats to everyone!

just got my acceptance email today, i interviewed on the 21st of jan. hope to see all you guys there in the fall, congrats...

Ditto Cornball714. Yippie!!!

question for you guys that just got accepted congrats by the way.

I'm still confused how do they rate you over other people when your interviewing with 10 other people. Did you guys talk alot, or try to be enthusiastic what made you guys different over the other 10 people sitting there? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Qarmonist said:

I'm still confused how do they rate you over other people when your interviewing with 10 other people. Did you guys talk alot, or try to be enthusiastic what made you guys different over the other 10 people sitting there? Thanks

I did talk but very little. Whenever I had something in mind and ready to speak up, there was always someone else one step ahead of me. I would rate my participation at the PBL below average, but I still got in. So, I don't think performance at PBL weights much in the selection process.

One thing that might have helped me was that I kept my post-interview communication with the admission office persistently (almost daily via email) not only to clarify about the selection process but also to show them my real interest in their school.

Hope it help.

jini said:
I did talk but very little. Whenever I had something in mind and ready to speak up, there was always someone else one step ahead of me. I would rate my participation at the PBL below average, but I still got in. So, I don't think performance at PBL weights much in the selection process.

One thing that might have helped me was that I kept my post-interview communication with the admission office persistently (almost daily via email) not only to clarify about the selection process but also to show them my real interest in their school.

Hope it help.

Hey jini, what kind of stuff did you email them about after your interview. I also want send a lot of emails to another school but really dont know what to say. Also, i dont know how much is too much ( ie. emailing them daily)

Paps said:
Hey jini, what kind of stuff did you email them about after your interview. I also want send a lot of emails to another school but really dont know what to say. Also, i dont know how much is too much ( ie. emailing them daily)

It really depends on who you send your email to. After a few reponses, you will know if it is too much or not. A quick response with detailed explaination means your pace is ok. In my experiences, if it takes s/he half a day to response to my email, I would wait half a day after receiving the response to send my new questions.

I ussually put a question or two in my message, whatever unclear to me at the time. i.e.
- How do applicant get on and off the waitlist?
- When is the next round of acceptance if I don't get in this round?
- I finish all prereg but you still mark me incomplete, would you verify my requirement checklist?
- I am planning to take either pathology or histology next semester, which course would you recommend to increase my chance of acceptance at your school? ...

In each messge, I always try to sneak in a big portion on one or more of the following topics regarding my feeling about the school, the interview, the student I met, the curriculum, the PBL, the staffs, how and why USC was and still remain my fisrt choice. I also use this opportunity to explain why I did not perform well at the interview, or anything unclear about my file.

Keep in mind that the clerk that you are communicating with do has the power to make a spot available to you. So, be polite and professional.

jini said:
It really depends on who you send your email to. After a few reponses, you will know if it is too much or not. A quick response with detailed explaination means your pace is ok. In my experiences, if it takes s/he half a day to response to my email, I would wait half a day after receiving the response to send my new questions.

I ussually put a question or two in my message, whatever unclear to me at the time. i.e.
- How do applicant get on and off the waitlist?
- When is the next round of acceptance if I don't get in this round?
- I finish all prereg but you still mark me incomplete, would you verify my requirement checklist?
- I am planning to take either pathology or histology next semester, which course would you recommend to increase my chance of acceptance at your school? ...

In each messge, I always try to sneak in a big portion on one or more of the following topics regarding my feeling about the school, the interview, the student I met, the curriculum, the PBL, the staffs, how and why USC was and still remain my fisrt choice. I also use this opportunity to explain why I did not perform well at the interview, or anything unclear about my file.

Keep in mind that the clerk that you are communicating with do has the power to make a spot available to you. So, be polite and professional.

How long after the interview did you start sending in those emails, or did you start even before interviewing? Thanks

ok ive heard, i think it was from my friend when he went on his interview to sc or when i went myself to the interview....they interview only counts like 10% of their "formula" they use to put you on the waiting list

ur put on the list according to a point system (comprised of all your stats/app/letters/etc...) then they rank the list.....with every group interview you can move down or up according to how many points you have. then the adcoms meet and decide to accept (example) the top 50 on the list, then they meet again later and accept the next 50 - that basically how they do it (im just making up numbers)

Qarmonist said:

Qarmonist said:
How long after the interview did you start sending in those emails, or did you start even before interviewing? Thanks

I send the first one the day after the interview day just to say thanks.

How long did you guys wait to get your interview invitation? They got my app early December, but I have not heard a word from them. Some said they waited 3 months or so. Is it true?

luder98 said:
How long did you guys wait to get your interview invitation? They got my app early December, but I have not heard a word from them. Some said they waited 3 months or so. Is it true?

They got my app. on Aug 16, my DAT score on Sept 3, and I did not hear from them until Jan 5. So, 3 months plus is about right.

jini said:
They got my app. on Aug 16, my DAT score on Sept 3, and I did not hear from them until Jan 5. So, 3 months plus is about right.
Wow, that must have been a torture for you given USC your number one choice. Thanks.

luder98 said:
Wow, that must have been a torture for you given USC your number one choice. Thanks.

yeah.. USC is a bit slower than other schools... They got my app mid Sept. and my DAT scores Late Sept. I also didn't hear from them until Jan 5th.

lionelhutz said:
yeah.. USC is a bit slower than other schools... They got my app mid Sept. and my DAT scores Late Sept. I also didn't hear from them until Jan 5th.
those of you that didnt hear until january 5th, did u hear good news or bad news? if you dotn mind could you post your stats? if you do mind, then its ok, im just waiting toheear from them too. my stats are 3.2 SGPA 21AA 22TS 18PAT. 3.33 graduate GPA. thanks

I interviewed on Jan 14th and was accepted February 2nd.

blumnday99 said:

congrats,any advice on how to conduct the group interview? Did u do anything special, hopefully ill be your classmate soon.

egpndoc said:
those of you that didnt hear until january 5th, did u hear good news or bad news? if you dotn mind could you post your stats? if you do mind, then its ok, im just waiting toheear from them too. my stats are 3.2 SGPA 21AA 22TS 18PAT. 3.33 graduate GPA. thanks

They emailed me on Jan 5 to setup my Jan 14 interview, and accepted on Feb 2. Did you receive a letter saying that you have passed their third round of review? Good luck!

egpndoc said:
congrats,any advice on how to conduct the group interview? Did u do anything special, hopefully ill be your classmate soon.

I've stopped by the admissions office a few times before my interview to ask questions and check up on the application. I don't think you have to worry about the mock-pbl session too much....it was really relaxed. I know a few students that are currently USC dental students so I was able to ask them questions about the school / pbl before I even interviewed.

blumnday99 said:

Congratulation! We will be classmate then. BTW, I was also there on Jan 14. Hmm, we might have talk to each other face-to-face. Were you in blue or red PBL group? I was in blue group.

jini said:
Congratulation! We will be classmate then. BTW, I was also there on Jan 14. Hmm, we might have talk to each other face-to-face. Were you in blue or red PBL group? I was in blue group.

I actually can't remember. I think I was in the Red group, but I'm not too sure. Were you in the group that kept talking about the septic tank saturated field? By the way my name is Mark Villanueva. I had on a dark charcoal suit with pinstripes.

blumnday99 said:
I actually can't remember. I think I was in the Red group, but I'm not too sure. Were you in the group that kept talking about the septic tank saturated field? By the way my name is Mark Villanueva. I had on a dark charcoal suit with pinstripes.

Yes, I remember about the septic tank topic. We were in the same group then. I think I remember you. BTW, I am Peter, one of the volunteers who scribed.

hi. congrats to those w/ acceptances! anywho, did anybody get a letter saying they were now in the 2nd round of the application process? and, if you did, how long did you remain in the 2nd round? :D