USC School of Dentistry - from 3rd year student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RJF8INOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
USC will reclaim its position as the "Gold Standard" of dentistry in a very short period of time. The changes that have been made in the DDS program are phenomenal including CADCAM and Implant Placement. You get what you pay for at USC: exceptional handskills and the ability to both recognize and strive for perfection. This process is painful process that will be rewarded with a lifetime of success.

If you are fortunate enough to have gained acceptance, don't let the many negative posts on this forum steer you in the wrong direction. I have spent my entire adult life in dentistry (over 10 yrs) and I can say without hesitation that this is one of the best programs in the world for clinical dentistry.

Please see some of my other posts for additional information or PM me for additional questions. This video is very accurate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLv3V4fa_4Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say you get what you pay for here if you take the opportunity to be proactive and look for opportunities. The school itself is fairly disorganized and you will get that impression here from the interview process. You will be challenged on your handskills though. The standards here are very high and I don't think there is a better school to learn the art of being a dentist. Academically though, there could be some improvement.

Herman Ostrow saved the school with his donation. Before this, the school was hemorrhaging money. Now that the school's finances are secure, the school can become a more ethical place and focus on the students. Sad but true, but money problems were related to a lot of the problems here in the past.

My only real question about the school is : How can you justify spending just under 70k a year for dental school when you can probably go somewhere for around between 30 (in state) to 45(other privates/out of state)? I'm sure USC has a good dental school, but in your opinion, why do you think it warrants an extra 120k over 4 years?

so who is the USC D3 in this thread?

USC will reclaim its position as the "Gold Standard" of dentistry in a very short period of time. The changes that have been made in the DDS program are phenomenal including CADCAM and Implant Placement. You get what you pay for at USC: exceptional handskills and the ability to both recognize and strive for perfection. This process is painful process that will be rewarded with a lifetime of success.

If you are fortunate enough to have gained acceptance, don't let the many negative posts on this forum steer you in the wrong direction. I have spent my entire adult life in dentistry (over 10 yrs) and I can say without hesitation that this is one of the best programs in the world for clinical dentistry.

Please see some of my other posts for additional information or PM me for additional questions. This video is very accurate.

Watch out guys! Looks like some high pressure recruiting from USC!

Check this out: Total cost of USC = Over $500,000. If you get into a cheaper private school OR a state school...you can graduate with amazing skills for $200,000 cheaper!!! You could literally go to your state school and buy a house (if you're intent on spending 500K). It might be worth reapplying if you only get in here.

Dude, my school has been teaching a fully-integrated CADCAM curriculum for several years, as well as implant placement. Welcome to the 21st century, USC.

Check this out: Total cost of USC = Over $500,000. If you get into a cheaper private school OR a state school...you can graduate with amazing skills for $200,000 cheaper!!! You could literally go to your state school and buy a house (if you're intent on spending 500K). It might be worth reapplying if you only get in here.

That really puts it into perspective. You could legitimately buy a house with the money saved....

They don't call it a gold standard for nothing.

USC is a joke. Why you pay so much money to teach yourself the bare minimum to pass boards is beyond me

you pay the same amount as any other dental school via PLSF or HPSP, or around 40k more on tax if you do the 20 year IBR. This sounds weird, but having a larger loan actually raises your income cap under IBR.
I'm doubtful about PBL, but the consensus is that a DDS is a DDS, doesn't matter what school you got it from, then why hate on SC? well unless you're a bruin. 50-0

Members don't see this ad :)
So where is the hate for Loma Linda and UOP??? Both are about the same price as USC. CA = expensive. I would throw Tufts and NYU in there too. Not everyone has the privilege of going to the two state schools here. I know plenty of people with great stats that got rejected from UCLA and UCSF.

As for PBL, I can tell you that I like the idea of it, but not the way it is run at USC. However, PBL is probably the smallest aspect of the curriculum here.

Last edited:
So where is the hate for Loma Linda and UOP??? Both are about the same price as USC. CA = expensive. I would throw Tufts and NYU in there too. Not everyone has the privilege of going to the two state schools here. I know plenty of people with great stats that got rejected from UCLA and UCSF.

As for PBL, I can tell you that I like the idea of it, but not the way it is run at USC. However, PBL is probably the smallest aspect of the curriculum here.

To be honest, I think it's the price, interview format, PBL, and the poor exam results from a few years back...all combined. You guys probably are getting a lot better as a program but improving your reputation will be really hard with that insane price tag.

Also, it does more harm than good when USC students come on here claiming their school is the best in the world. Think about it. When someone sees a statement like that (especially on this site) they immediately think about a way to discredit it. Then it snowballs from there...like this thread.

If USC is the best they would have the cream of the crop. The cream of the crop wouldn't be on SDN making absurd comments. OP would make a heck of a timeshare salesman though, I'll give him that.

Just like Boston, I'm sure USC isn't a terrible school, otherwise they wouldn't be accredited. When I visited the two schools, however, they seemed to attract the bottom of the barrel applicants. I mean, not all of them had a low GPAs and low DATs, but a ton of them did. That was a major turn off, especially because of PBL..it's seems like the blind would be leading the blind. I didn't bust my butt in undergrad so that I could surround myself with many of those who strive for mediocrity.

Just like Boston, I'm sure USC isn't a terrible school, otherwise they wouldn't be accredited. When I visited the two schools, however, they seemed to attract the bottom of the barrel applicants. I mean, not all of them had a low GPAs and low DATs, but a ton of them did. That was a major turn off, especially because of PBL..it's seems like the blind would be leading the blind. I didn't bust my butt in undergrad so that I could surround myself with many of those who strive for mediocrity.

Before you say that anyone is at the "bottom of the barrel" you will need to know their "entire" application. You're missing the ECs, LORs, personal circumstances, etc. What if there was a 2.8gpa/17DAT applicant that volunteered thousands of hours at community health centers, worked full time to pay for his school tuition and support his family, and was the leader of his church youth group? Is that necessarily mediocrity? :shrug:

I think it is wrong to call them the "bottom of the barrel." I'm sure USC is a great school. I don't go there, but I'm sure that the students there are just as well deserving as those who got into other dental schools. It is quick to judge them and to say that they are people who "strive for mediocrity." I have a friend who goes to USC Dental School. She graduated with Latin Honors and is an excellent role model and leader in her academic and local community.

Also, PBL teaches students to work together which is a requirement in healthcare when healthcare providers encounter situations where they need to work with others to determine the appropriate diagnosis and treatment. It also helps them gain an understanding of the other health professions and builds respect for one another. If you want to be a dentist, it is important that you respect others and your colleagues. After reading your comment, I think you should rethink about what you just said because it wouldn't be nice if someone told you that you were "striving for mediocrity" when people didn't know your background.

Before you say that anyone is at the "bottom of the barrel" you will need to know their "entire" application. You're missing the ECs, LORs, personal circumstances, etc. What if there was a 2.8gpa/17DAT applicant that volunteered thousands of hours at community health centers, worked full time to pay for his school tuition and support his family, and was the leader of his church youth group? Is that necessarily mediocrity? :shrug:

Your exactly right, and the adcom takes that into consideration. With that said, the person you described is much more rare than the person with the 2.8 gpa/ 17 dat with mediocre EC's. Also, the person you described who worked full time to pay for his school and support his family is probably not choosing to go to the most expensive Dental school in the country....

I also want to say though that I don't think these are bad schools with "bottom of the barrel" students.

A person with 2.8 gpa/ 17 dat with mediocre EC's is probably not getting into dental school anywhere. Several of my classmates have above 3.7 GPAs and DAT scores in the 20s. I have also seen a few 23s here. With a larger class size, the average stats are going to be lower. With that being said, our average stats are 19.5 DAT and 3.4 GPA. That is fairly respectable considering that we have 144 students.

DIASLLTEMA - What school do you attend? How many implants have you placed? How many CAD/CAM restorations have you placed?

USC has been placing dental implants for many years in both OS and Perio specialty programs. Also, CAD/CAM has been used for a while by Pros residents and DDS students have been using CAD/CAM for around 2 yrs but not on a regular basis. As I understand, this is the way that most dental schools have been operating, save DDS student use of CAD/CAM.

Currently, CAD/CAM is being used on a great deal of anterior restorations and posterior inlays and onlays at USC by DDS students. In addition, DDS students are now able to place implants into surgical sites that do not require bone grafting or sinus lifts. These surgeries are left to the residents.

A person with 2.8 gpa/ 17 dat with mediocre EC's is probably not getting into dental school anywhere. Several of my classmates have above 3.7 GPAs and DAT scores in the 20s. I have also seen a few 23s here. With a larger class size, the average stats are going to be lower. With that being said, our average stats are 19.5 DAT and 3.4 GPA. That is fairly respectable considering that we have 144 students.

DIASLLTEMA - What school do you attend? How many implants have you placed? How many CAD/CAM restorations have you placed?

I'm a 23. I go to USC. I have seen 30's at USC.

Thanks for adding that hockeykspiky. It is about time that people from USC speak up about the great program that has been put together here. This is by no means to inflate our egos, but rather to inform predents about the great opportunity that USC has to offer. I, like many other students at USCSD had several options, but chose SC for its clinical excellence.

As I have stated before, I have 10 years of dental experience and have seen the skill level of many SC grads while serving in the US Navy. That being said, I was blown away by the school's dedication to excellence in clinical dentistry. The best part is that despite its 115 year existence, it continues to improve.

If I have other options, I will not go to USC

U wut m8? Seriously I'm a sophomore in college and was curious as to why UCSF is so expensive. I've seen it plenty of times on this forum.

RJ,

What did you do before dental school?

Awesome clip. I applied there! They cashed my check.
Waiting for interview invite!