Usc Tap Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdaddy26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody here interested in the USC TAP-program, or know anybody that got in? I wonder if alot of people apply to it, and how many get in. ANybody have any information on it? THank you!:)

Members don't see this ad.

This was the best I could find about the amount of people accepted into the USC TAP program. Link.

It basically states that of the 185 people admitted into the USC Pharmacy program in 2005, 14 were tap students. So of the 2001 high school class, around 30(?) or less were admitted into the tap program, assuming that some students transferred to other majors and others went to other pharmacy schools.

Also, this post states that around 100 people apply and only around 40 get in.
Link.

Of course, these numbers vary greatly. In either case, the numbers aren't very high. 40 would be favorable to 30 (which is based on speculation). Still, 100 people applying to the TAP program seems pretty small to me. Sure, many people still have not decided what they are going to do with their lives at age 18/19, but I would think that there would be more people applying. On the other hand, I have not really heard any speak of TAP except on these forums, so many people might not have heard about it. Anyway, can you keep us updated about the TAP program if you find more information, thanks. :) Good luck getting in!

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to pharmdaddy26 about this earlier but I wanted to post this for future readers. I felt that the TAP program was easy to get into when I applied (2001). I'm sure the stats have changed now but back then I had heard that the majority of those who applied got in.

With the rising competition to get into pharmacy school - particularly for CA schools, such as USC - I feel that pre-pharmacy/accelerated programs like TAP are great for people who know they want to do pharmacy. I remember I did not have to worry about where I was going to be going to pharmacy school once I completed my undergrad education. Besides, applying to TAP is less stressful and more simple than applying 4 years down the road and competing with 1500 other applicants (in the case of USC this year).

It's unfortunate that this particular program is not publicized much. The recruiters do go to a handful of high schools through out the year. Many of the TAP students I knew of learned of the program through word of mouth from friends and relatives. Only recently has "Pre-pharmacy (TAP)" been showing up on the USC undergrad applications right along with USC's well-known Bacc/MD program. So, hopefully more people will learn of the program. It's just sad that only 10-12% of our class are from USC (primarily TAPers) while 30% are from UCLA. No offense to the students from there - i love them =) It's the whole "trojan family" issue for me though =)

I stumbled upon this forum and found USC TAP in the conversation threads! Just wanted to add that I applied to TAP after my freshmen year and got in. Just from hearing about it from friends, I think it's relatively easy to get into. Everyone I know that applied got in. I think the program is mainly based on grades (contrary to a previous post that it's based on extra currics). Also now they don't require a writing sample or an interview. These requirements might change in the future, however.

In regards to how its publicized, I definitely agree w/ the other posts. They don't publicize it as much as its Bac/MD program, and I only knew about it by word of mouth and by one of their small info tables @ open house. This info table was hidden away in the corner and I probably would not have discovered it if I didn't browse the fair thoroughly. Its lack of publicity, however, is beneficial because the competition to get into the program is definitely not as high as it could be!

Hope this helps anyone out there who might be thinking about applying! I highly encourage it! It beats having to worry about apps after senior year & thinking about how much extra currics to do when you're just trying to concentrate on GPA.

so from what i heard, there is no more writing sample or interview for the TAP program????