USC thread - Why you shouldn't go there

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by jeninny44, May 16, 2007.

1. jeninny44

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Two very good threads about USC where MULTIPLE D3 and D4 USC students post their opinions.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=399349

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=377807

Personally my advice for people considering USC is to go back on their own and talk to the students. Don't let the admissions people know you are there, and then on the second day come back and ask to sit in some PBL sessions. I did this, and the PBL sessions were nothing like the mock interview. Actually kinda bogus. Talking to the students helped the most though. If you can't afford the southwest flight to Los Angeles, then the next best thing is the above threads if you're considering USC. I would also suggest you PM the posters for their private opinion as well.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. li1p0ptart

li1p0ptart Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hmm well i dont know what PBL session you sat in but my group's isnt bogus at all. It all depends on the group's motivation to learn, and the facilitator running it.

4. jeninny44

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Good point, and that is definitiely one of the reasons why PBL is not for me. Too many external factors that can affect my education. I didn't want to be stuck with a bunch of slackers for 1 trimester, then a bunch of kids who have communication troubles (english or social), then get stuck with an unmotivated facilitator another trimester.

People should check out those links though. It's a bunch of senior USC students talking about the clinical experience at USC.

5. Amalgam X

Amalgam X Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I keep seeing these "waiting for USC" threads and I don't know why ppl want to go there so badly. Personally, if USC was the only school that accepted me, I would reapply. I interviewed there back in Feb, got accepted, and turned it down. First off, it was way too expensive especially for no teachers. Why pay billions to teach youself and fund their football program? Seemed like the lecture on how to finance your education was longer than the PBL interview. Goes to show how $$$ is more important to them.

My roommate interviewed there and he absolutely hated it too. He turned them down and is going to NYU instead. At least NYU is getting the Dean of UCSF and has lectures. We also have a few friends that are 1st and 2nd yrs at USC and we have heard the same "stay away" response from them as well. They feel ill prepared for the boards since first yr comprises only of classes 2-3 days a week and only 4 hrs at a time while their fellow peers at other schools are in class 8-5 everyday. But these are just my opinions and what I have heard. Ultimately, it is up you to make the choice and how deep your wallets are.

6. Cymbidium

Cymbidium Awesome.
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    My neighbor down the hall from me (I live in LA on the Westside) is a 4th year at USC and he says the same things- he told me don't go there. I never got an interview so that solved that problem!

7. keibee82

keibee82 Blue_tooth...
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    From the research and hearing from many dental students from USC, predents, USC was the last place I wanted to be in even though it was the closest from my home. I live like 30 mins away from USC. I really shouldn't have waste my money applying there at the first place. If you are pbl person, i would rather recommend schools like Case where they have hybrid system. As far as i know, PBL in USC is not running really well which resulted in awful board passing rate and scores. These may not be 100% sure but I've heard this from many many people so if you are considering this school, you may wanna look out for these kind of issues.

8. cyclonesurfer

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't know anything about USC and I'm not going there in the fall . . . but it would be one thing if a candidate has multiple other offers to choose from.

it's another thing if USC is the only school you've gotten into or if it's the only school you can attend b/c family/spouse reasons etc.

I'm not saying USC's comparable to a Hyundai (and I'm not saying Hyundai's are bad cars) but it's not like everyone gets to choose between Hyundais and Porsches. Sometimes people drive Hyundais b/c they have no other choice.

From many of the messages on SDN - it seems that at least some folks are having a hard time getting any offers at all. i think these people would be happy to attend USC.

9. pacbum

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    although sc wasn't for me, it may be for some.

i say we lay off all the negative publicity of usc, bc for some of the applicants, it's where they are going. it sucks to keep bagging on a school while they are probably excited they are going there. every school has its problems...but 40 years down the line, a dentist from usc is just as good as any dentist out there with the right experience, and school probably will matter very little later on in life. besides, we are all going to be colleagues in the near future, we should work together, not against each other.

10. TeethVader

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Great Post!
    I would definitely do what the OP says, check the program out. Ask around, I didn't do that and well...I'm an SC student. If this school is your only acceptance, really really double think your decision on coming here, remember that hundreds of thousands of dollars and your future is at stake here. Only through us, their clients, they'll try to make a change for the good, as of now, is pretty bad here...just think about out of 175-180 students (international and regular programs) only 19 checked out on time. If that is a big-time issue of concern I don't know what is..personally I'm terrified by this stat.:(

11. jeninny44

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  12. pacbum

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hey jeninny, you must have some personal vendetta against usc...haha

13. Denticized

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    People are going to hate me for repeating myself but I'll do it anyway: PBL is not inherently good or bad. It simply depends on the student, whether or not he/she is intrinsically or extrinsically motivated. The former is the perfect student for PBL because he/she does not need the extrinsic push of grade system, etc...USC is not a problematic school because of its PBL. There are however other fundamental issues wrong with both UCLA and USC (more so with UCLA in terms of nepotism and connection games). However, they are both hot programs due to the amazing location. Those of you who have never been to L.A. don't know what I am talking about. I'd go if I got in, but at the same time I acknowledge that NYU is stronger on a billions grounds.

14. TMJ0000

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey jennyn if you don't like sc just don't go.

15. I agree with jenny! negative, nerdy dorks like her that think they know everything would make PBL suck! I think people with your personality traits should get involved in things like the recycling buisness...

16. pacbum

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i'd think usc has bigger problems with connections and nepotism, i don't know why you'd think ucla does. the more and more i read about it, ucla is one of the best programs in the nation, not just because of location, but the actual program is great. they expect a lot from their students, and their students go on to succeed. it's not a ucla thread, so i'm not gonna get into it, but there are plenty more reasons that people go to ucla than just location.

i see people going to usc for location...they wanna stay in california, and close to family and friends, and they don't look at the program as much. that's why so many students don't like pbl there...they went to usc for the reasons other than program, and aren't happy with it. i'll be honest, i don't hear many people saying they want to go to usc because they're in love with their program. and i'm not bagging on the school, cause i still think it's a good school, but i don't think there program brings students in, but rather the perks of staying in california and networking with other usc dentists.

honestly, at the end, you get what you put in. you could go ot a top notch school, and slack, and be a terrible dentist. or you could go to any program, work hard, and be a solid dentist. it should be a combination of program, location, and cost that dictate your decision, not one over the other, or you wont be happy.

17. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    So, lets just shove it under the rug, keep our heads down and make sure none of this information ever sees the light of day so people can feel god about themselves?

This information shouldn't be hush-hushed, it should told to all the people it's relavent too. If there are legitimate problems at USC, the people who are going to be dropping a mortgage on them damn sure deserve to know about them!

18. Pilot Mike

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    More than anything she enjoys trashing Los Angeles and anything in it. I'm surprised she didn't find lyrics to a song about her feelings on USC yet.

19. burgler09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

20. burgler09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    on a more serious note, i agree with armorshell, knowledge should be out there so everyone can see it, but at the same time it doesn't have to be completely bashing the school with people saying things like "if it was my only choice i would turn it down" show facts, but at the same time be considerate, for everyones sake

21. velikimajmun

velikimajmun Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

LOL..USC footbal made a net profit of 10 million dollars in 2003-2004.

http://www.davesez.com/archives/000812.php

22. pacbum

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    couldn't agree more with both of you. this website is used for getting information out there, and i agree, that this information allows people to make a more informative decision. but there were times when there were probably 10 threads on sdn about how much usc sucks...it's one thing to give an informative opinion, but i think the way that it was carried out was wrong. it's almost like people are going out of their way to bash the school. and in all honesty, at this point, do you really think that students are going to change their minds? this threads made sense a few months ago, but to those that committed thousands of dollars already, these threads aren't going to change their mind. at this point, there's no need to make people regret their decisions, especially when they haven't even started.

i don't have an issue with spreading the info, especially if it's from credible dental students at the school, but rather the method that it's being done. like burgler said, let's try to be a little more considerate

23. jeninny44

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Agreed. I apologize everyone. I like to debate. I do have my opinion, but I think I got carried away. So yes, the info is important, but consideration is as well. In parting I think I will leave you all with a link that explains a lot of SDN, including myself sometimes:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

24. jeninny44

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    A few more people have weighed in, for those of you considering applying to USC.

I visited the school on an official interview (accepted, but declined my seat) and visited the school before making sure I wanted to decline.

The top 2 links are a good read for people who want to know more about SC.

25. QuackDentist

QuackDentist I'm your ugly duckling.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  26. cuneatus2

cuneatus2 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I

27. TeethVader

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey! sorry for the late reply. Yes, if you don't graduate on time, you have to pay the Instrument Management System department for lending you dental instrumentation(around $3,500); additional finances will be given for cost of living expenses. You better be finished by Summer, otherwise SC will charge you full tuition for Fall trimester (20K plus) which means a deep economical hit. As of know, we have a wonderful class of 2008 who are very proactive on this situation and taking the necessary steps toward a solution to this horrible nightmare; however nothing is graved in stone and I've heard the class before them tried changing the situation but with no avail.
    Once again, please try to find other school alternatives; I really don't want you guys to make the same mistake I did

28. Columbia07

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
  29. USCdent09

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

Just about boards scores.... USC was in the top 10 for Part 1's last year. The 08's averaged a 88 out of 122 people. the reason why Part 2's are low is because 1) most students are already into a grad program before they take them so you just have to pass and 2) if you are going to be a GP you just need to pass.

USC will make you an AMAZING clinical doctor... if you want to research, then go to UCLA.

30. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    just curious. Aren't there about 145 people accepted to each class at USC? How come only 122 people from the class of 08 took the part 1 boards. What happened to the other 23?

31. Pilot Mike

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Or if you want to graduate in 4 years :)

32. cuneatus2

cuneatus2 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    1. I

33. jokerjoe12

jokerjoe12 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Hey just for all the morons that are talking out of their anal holes, USC 2008 got an 88.6 percent on their part I boards, thats an AMAZING score. Many of them are in ortho, and oral surgery to say the least. USC will make sure you have amazing hand skills btw. So to anyone contemplating going to USC, like jenny, and don't want to come, please, please don't come, as we don't want any negative persons at USC like "vader."

34. armorshell

Non-Student
    While this all sounds great, none of it means the program doesn't have problems, serious or otherwise.

35. jokerjoe12

jokerjoe12 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    i'm not saying the school is problem free -- no school is.

36. TypoDont

TypoDont USC Class of 2008
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You are very right! No school is problem free; however, USC is in a league of their own when it comes to problems...from the PBL curriculum to the Clinical component. Just look at how PBL prepares us for the NBDE Part I, it's a joke, I didn't not learning enough to prepare me for the National Boards, most of the material I'm reading right now is No REVIEW, is new (when SC said about gaps in our knowledge, I never imagined how wide the gaps where), most of the stuff is totally new; and the clinic...well, you and I know very well the HELL the clinic is; for some sick reason, you just do not want to wake up and smell the roses. Look, you and I are in this horrible situation and we cannot turn back at this stage of the game. However, there are Pre-dents applying, the least we can do for them is warned about the terrible situation at our school.
    For once, we can make a difference and help out our future colleagues.

37. jokerjoe12

jokerjoe12 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    your not helping any pre-dent student by bashing the school. PBL works if you do it right. Maybe pre-dents who are weak in the sciences and are not motivated should not come to USC and go to a school were they are spoon fed everything and they will become dentists that only know how to drill

38. cuneatus2

cuneatus2 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student

Y

39. armorshell

Non-Student
    Yeah, those dentists from UCLA and Columbia are basically auto mechanics. I'm doing this as hard as I can: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

40. Pilot Mike

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't understand why the people who defend USC always gotta say something bad about UCLA. Anyone want to compare stats of the two schools (ie board scores,graduating on time, clinical requirements..etc)?

If there's things that USC does more of and UCLA doesn't, I'd like to know what it is besides hearing how USC has better clinical and UCLA students are spoon fed or whatever other nonsense.

41. TypoDont

TypoDont USC Class of 2008
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Once again guys, Jokerjoe12 is perhaps that 1 percentile that has this type of rationale; insulting other schools will not take us anywhere joker. I don't intend on bashing my school but rather depict the current situation my school faces. Pre-dents don't know what's going on at SC and the admission people will definitely try to sugarcoat the program hence, don't you think its only fair for us to informed them about the current situation?