USC vs Boston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Claudillea

Reaction score
I got invites for both USC and Boston University and I’m curious what are the pros and cons for each?

Members don't see this ad.

I got invites for both USC and Boston University and I’m curious what are the pros and cons for each?
hi there
congratulations for the interview invites. I also got both interview invitations, and in the meantime I had completed the BU inteview sessions and got accepted at BU. I didn't attend the USC interview sessions for a few reasons: USC graduates will only have the possibility of passing the dental boards/west coast and not be able to practice in any other part of the country with a west coast dental school license, if you however prefer to relocate to the west coast or are a west coast resident, then I think USC Is a great choice. There is a possibility that you do not want to take the west coast dental boards, move to other parts of the country and it is mandatory to take the boards that qualifies you for the area where you will be relocating. however, west coast boards as I have heard are different from east, the way they teach students in the west for specific procedures that in the east no one is interested to know about. second reason would be demographics, how close to your family and loved ones you want to be while attending dental school. Third, length of program and tuition. As advanced standing class we have high manual dexterity skills ( this also depends on the applicant, on the years of experience in home country, chair time and patient experience) therefore I believe that a school that offers a shorter program (such as BU, ONLY 24 MONTHS) it is for a great advantage.
Think of it this way: a longer program is fine as well, but working/studying for an additional 6 months ( January- June) with your advanced program classmates, so you can catch up with the dd3 class in august, means to me brainwashing us to the extreme. I think that our knowledge, hand skills in dentistry cannot be undone, but adding to it is very important to me. Learning new techniques is a great thing but this should be added to what I know and refine my knowledge to the level the Dental School sets for me.
Finally I believe if you attend both interview sessions, I would characterize my experience as who really connected with me : I think of it this way: I would like to have in front of me an interviewer that is human, because that person represent the school for me during those 30-40 minutes. if I do not see a connection with the interviewer, not just dentistry questions, not resume questions, but something like : tell me who you really are in real life, what you do outside dentistry, your hobbies (because lets admit it, you are in the interview because in paper you are capable of doing dentistry, you application has reached to the top)so all they need from us, i believe, someone who is human, not a robotic answering machine that has come prepared to the interview by someone else, and likeways that is what I want to see in the interview session as well as an interviewee, it is reciprocal.

Hope this help.