USC vs. LLU

Started by AnkPat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AnkPat

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

Just found out last week that I was accepted into Loma Linda University's Program for Research Epidemiology and this week into USC's Epi program as well. I have a couple of questions!

1. USC - PH program is thru their med school; LLU - had their own PH school. Does this matter?

2. If anyone knows, what are the main differences between the programs?

Please shed your thoughts on the two schools with pros and cons. I would GREATLY appreciate your advice 🙂
 
LLU is CEPH accredited. That's reason alone. What program did you apply to at llu? What are your stats? I applied to llu for phd epi.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Biggest difference will be size of the programs.

LLU will have more degree offerings than USC will. Take a deeper look at how the schools differ in each concentration area for a better idea.
 
Well LLU is ranked on US News best public health graduate schools and USC isn't if that helps ::shrugs::
Also did you have an interview and if you did when? I had my interview this past Monday and it wasn't as nerve racking as I thought it would be. Last question, sorry, did you appky through sophas? And if you did when did you send in your transcripts to LLU was it before you were accepted?
 
But then you have to look further in to why LLU is ranked while USC is not. It's like you said earlier, USC's is offered through USC/Keck School of Medicine while LLU is through their own school. US News' rankings are for schools of public health therefore USC can't be ranked because it's not its own school.
 
LLU is an ASPH member school and USC isn't. As an LLU grad, you would be eligible for ASPH fellowships and internships that someone from a non-ASPH school would not be.
 
I have a phone interview with LLU Epi DrPH program director and faculty soon.

Anyone out there who applied to this program had an interview or got accepted? How was the interview? Any advise?

I have already had other phone interviews so I am guessing it will not be that bad but still it is always a stressful situation to be in.

For those interviewed... how long after the interview did you get a decision?
 
I got through LLU and am still waiting on USC. I read through the comments in this thread and am still confused about which one is better. Any comments?