USC vs MWU-IL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILLchief

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pros/Cons of each? Which would you guys choose?

My family lives literally 15 minutes away from MWU-IL, just the next town over from Downers Grove. Lived around there all my life except for undergrad (Champaign) so I wouldn't necessarily mind moving away for a bit. But its still being established. When I interviewed there, the D3's all raved about the clinic and said how the patients are flowing in right now.... However, USC is USC. Well established and known around the country. Can't beat LA and the sun/ocean. I know the pricing is outrageous for USC and it would be much cheaper living around Downers (prolly with my parents for at least the 1st year). But is it worth it to give up an opportunity like USC being that it has great reputation/connections for jobs afterwards?

Thanks in advanced.

Members don't see this ad.

Pros/Cons of each? Which would you guys choose?

My family lives literally 15 minutes away from MWU-IL, just the next town over from Downers Grove. Lived around there all my life except for undergrad (Champaign) so I wouldn't necessarily mind moving away for a bit. But its still being established. When I interviewed there, the D3's all raved about the clinic and said how the patients are flowing in right now.... However, USC is USC. Well established and known around the country. Can't beat LA and the sun/ocean. I know the pricing is outrageous for USC and it would be much cheaper living around Downers (prolly with my parents for at least the 1st year). But is it worth it to give up an opportunity like USC being that it has great reputation/connections for jobs afterwards?

Thanks in advanced.

Unless you have some rich parents that are willing to pay half or 3/4 of your tuition at USC or military scholarship, I would stick with mwuil

You are gonna be close to 500k in debt upon graduation at USC and slave for the rest of your life paying off your debt...

I applied to U$C, got an interview, and did not show up to the interview.

USC doesn't have a stellar reputation in dentistry. Its football team and sports are where its rep comes from. USC Dental has PBL (which I think is a ripoff for the amount of money at U$C). MWU-IL, will be modeled after MWU-AZ, which has arguably one of the best clinics in the country. U$C has had some complaints.

You should go to MWU-IL. U$C is in Los Angeles, which is one of the most expensive places in the country. The area around U$C is also very dangerous and not in a good neighbhorhood. By living at home (you should commute all 4 years if you are only 15 min away) you will save at least $50k, in living expenses. $50k is a lot of money. Also, if some personal crisis occurs at U$C, you got nobody. If some crisis occurs at MWU-IL, you have your family to help you. U$C overplays its alumni connections like anything.

Save money, avoid PBL learning, and be close to family.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on what you want in a dental school and what you want after you graduate. If you plan on practicing in IL, I would pick MWU-IL. Being 15 minutes away from home is pretty convenient. You will save a ton of money on living expenses and tuition as well. For me I'm in CA and I prefer to practice here as well so I would pick USC even though Im not too big into the idea of PBL. I think USC is in not the best neighborhood but I don't think its as bad as some people think. A lot of students live downtown and commute to campus and they say it isn't too bad.

In terms of USC's Alumni, I totally agree with you that its pretty darn strong, but I don't know how strong it is in IL. I know in Southern California there are A LOT of USC grads working around the area and having that alumni may help you out but Im not sure how much it will help back in IL.

Overall I think they are both great schools, best of luck!

OP, have you heard back from MWU-IL? I know you were interviewing just recently.