Program-Specific Info / Q's USC vs. Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leen87

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Now that a lot of acceptances have gone out is anyone having a dilemma of choosing between USC and Washington University? I currently live in Los Angeles so moving expenses and finding an apt aren't an issue for me versus if I moved to St. Louis I would incur the cost of moving plus have to take out additional loans for an apt (my bf currently covers rent for us, I am so grateful for that).

I know that I would be happy at either program and am lucky to have been accepted to both, but I was trying to weigh the differences of each program. Here's what I have, correct me if I am wrong:
1. WashU is more research based whereas USC is more clinical based.
2. USC's OTD program is another 50k more than WashU
3. USC's OTD program allows students to complete a residency where they may receive a small salary (possibly), whereas WashU's doctorate program seems to be more research based again.
4. Fieldwork placement options/opportunities seem to be about the same.
5. I do like that USC allows it's students to choose electives for their second year in the Masters program, essentially creating their own curriculum to a degree.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

The cost of USC is what did me in. I mean, you can get an OTD at Wash U for nearly the same cost as the Master's at USC. Plus, the ranking and the opportunities at Wash U can't be beat, both for clinical and research. I just toured their facilities and saw how many NIH-funded studies with a community practice emphasis they have.

Then, housing. You can live in a nice apt. in a secure area of Central West End for a fraction of the rent in L.A. St. Louis has its issue but if the people are friendly, the cost of living is very reasonable, and by god it will take the edge off that exorbitant debt.

It's up to you of course - both are great schools. Just my insight as I struggled with the same decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

Now that a lot of acceptances have gone out is anyone having a dilemma of choosing between USC and Washington University? I currently live in Los Angeles so moving expenses and finding an apt aren't an issue for me versus if I moved to St. Louis I would incur the cost of moving plus have to take out additional loans for an apt (my bf currently covers rent for us, I am so grateful for that).

I know that I would be happy at either program and am lucky to have been accepted to both, but I was trying to weigh the differences of each program. Here's what I have, correct me if I am wrong:
3. USC's OTD program allows students to complete a residency where they may receive a small salary (possibly), whereas WashU's doctorate program seems to be more research based again.
5. I do like that USC allows it's students to choose electives for their second year in the Masters program, essentially creating their own curriculum to a degree.

I would have to agree with the post above ^ It really boils down to cost and if you really want to pursue an OTD. If your mind is already set that you want to pursue an OTD, I would chose to attend WashU because it is cheaper to get an OTD than USC, even if you have to take out a little bit more for living expenses. An extra 50,000k to complete an OTD at USC is ALOT!! In addition, I am sure rent is wayyyy cheaper than here in LA. Ultimately, I believe both universities will help shape you in the best OT. Good luck with your decision making!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Hey! I am currently making the same decision, I am curious to hear where you ended up going?

I am from St. Louis and some of the top OTs in the city all come from Wash U. The students all have jobs competing for them when they are finishing up. Depending on how close you wanted to live to campus, there are a variety of housing options that can range from 400-500 or go up to 1200 for average housing. Price of housing depends on how concierge you want it. There is also a lot of houses for rent in the city that can be shared with roommates that make the cost even cheaper. Wash U is a great school and you can’t go wrong with them.