USC vs. Western vs. Touro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckan14

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to be accepted at all three yesterday, and need some advice. Cost is a big factor for me since I'm taking out loans but it's not the only factor. Cost of living is roughly comparable for all three schools, so considering only education costs that would result in USC being about $70K more over 4 years than Western and about $107K more than Touro. The obvious choice as far as cost goes is Touro, but I've lived in southern CA my whole life and have never even set foot in New York. I'm also very close to my family so USC or Western would keep my close to them, as well as my significant other. My favorite interview day was USC by far and if cost wasn't a thing I'd have paid my deposit already. I liked Touro much more than Western, but didn't like either as much as I liked USC. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you live close enough to commute to western or you went? If you can commute and save that money, go to western. Please don’t go to USC. Unless you have a rich family or get scholarships, stick with western or touro. In times of hardship it’s really emotionally comforting to have your family nearby, so that’s a major plus. Just weigh your pros and cons but please try to choose the cheaper options.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to Touro. You know it’s the right decision. Stop letting “what if” play with your mind.
I know its logically the right decision. But, it's hard to stomach the idea of moving across the country to somewhere I've never even been before away from everyone and everything I've known in my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you live close enough to commute to western or you went? If you can commute and save that money, go to western. Please don’t go to USC. Unless you have a rich family or get scholarships, stick with western or touro. In times of hardship it’s really emotionally comforting to have your family nearby, so that’s a major plus. Just weigh your pros and cons but please try to choose the cheaper options.
I don't live close enough to commute to any school so I would be paying to live close by campus regardless of where I go.

I know its logically the right decision. But, it's hard to stomach the idea of moving across the country to somewhere I've never even been before away from everyone and everything I've known in my life.
I'm from SoCal so I kind of understand your thought process. My family and gf were here as well, so it was a big reason why i wanted to get into an affordable CA school. If it really makes you feel comfortable staying in California, I don't think the cost is too much of a difference. The 20-30k price difference is a lot, but there's no point in going across the country if you're gonna be miserable and depressed. Western is a great school.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm complicated one.

As a D4 I can say that while saving money and going to a cheap school is important, it doesn't matter if you're clinically depressed there (especially relevant this year during COVID).

I paid about 60-80k more to go to my school of choice over another school and I don't regret it. However I'll warn you if you go to USC I'm guessing you'll want to stay in California which will make for a tough position to start