USC Waitlist Movement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camstah

running thru dandelions
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, so we've had one person get off the waitlist :clap:

anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Who, what, where??? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
nope, not me (i WISH) it was stork12 (he/she/it got a call yesterday morning from Dr. Quinn)....
just wondering if anyone got a call this morning...even if it's not me getting off the list, i like hearing other people get off of it......they get so happy :)

bump.....anyone? anyone? it's hard to believe that only one person got a call....c'mon, if you're out there and you don't post, sign up for the hell of it and post!!!!
i wanna see some waitlist action here!!!!

Argggh... I called today and they said that there was not much movement right now, but they do expect quite a bit in the near future.

Yeah, it's about as generic and vague an answer as one can get, but at least it gives hope :rolleyes:

Also, has anyone sent in a further letter of rec? I asked whether they were accepting these and they said no....why?

the way i figure it they are done reviewing files, and are picking people they've already sort of ranked...no matter whether they say it's an unranked waitlist or not...i think it MUST be loosely ranked, and dean quinn maybe goes through the ones in the acceptable group to get people off of waitlists....i think.....that's the only way i can think of that they would do it if it isn't rigidly ranked (which is what i think unranked really means)....

well, let's hope whoever you talked to wasn't just trying to make you feel better, and there IS a lot of movement in the near future!!!!

Good luck to us both! :luck:

hang in there ken....
bumping this......c'mon, move waitlist move!! i wanna hear that phone ring.....

this is my bump for the day.......
i'm thinking maybe we'll hear more movement next week?

lol. You are reminding me of Voltron77 and the Drew thread. He bumps it up twice a day and has done so for 2 months or so.

i'm trying to keep it down to one bump a day, but i figure one bump for morning, one for evening is better.....that way anyone who's gotten a call has a better chance to post......and i'll probably only keep this up for a couple of weeks...then, if no one is replying, this thread will die.... :(
don't let this thread die!! c'mon Dr. Quinn, call some people!!!! :clap:

(this was a cheap excuse to bump :) )

time for my afternoon/evening bump........
maybe tomorrow will show us some action!!!

and jalby, if you're trying to get on the adcom next year, does that mean you won't even get to read sdn? seriously, wherever i end up i'm going to try hard to get on the admissions committee...i really want to give people like me a chance!!!!!

on a more cheery note, wouldn't it be great if we were the only three people on the waitlist? makes me wonder how many people are on the waitlist....i figure any offers they sent out monday were from the batch that just interviewed in april, since by all rights i guess they should get first crack at acceptances....and after that, the offers given out will be from all periods of interview, and basically anyone on the waitlist....

Members don't see this ad :)
waitlists sucks.. when i got off mine in august (1 week before school started).. it was one of the happiest days of life.. 10 months of waiting was well worth it.. :D

4 more weeks until i become a 4th year.. woo hoo..

AznTrojan-MS said:
waitlists sucks.. when i got off mine in august (1 week before school started).. it was one of the happiest days of life.. 10 months of waiting was well worth it.. :D

4 more weeks until i become a 4th year.. woo hoo..

wow, the week before school started??????
i hope if i get off of the waitlist it's well before august.....
here is the usc waitlist thread from last year, where some questions seem to be answered....it brings back memories....sad, sad memories....
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=68093&page=1&pp=20

okay, time for the morning bump....good morning all.....

Okay, seeing that the UCLA waitlist thread may be good karma, I figure we'll start a USC Wailist list...everyone can use some good karma! hopefully this will work for some of us.... :luck:

The Official USC Waitlist...er, list:

--jdc5
--kenshinoro2004
--camstah

:luck:

Camstah,
I have decided to go to Vandy. I hope you get my USC spot! Good luck.
-Patzan

I faxed my withdraw on 5/14, but as of two days ago, USC had not officially removed me from the accepted list. Not sure if this affects the rate at which they pull people off the waitlist, but it could indicate that they are moving slow. Good luck to y'all though. It was a really tough decision not to go to USC.

patzan said:
Camstah,
I have decided to go to Vandy. I hope you get my USC spot! Good luck.
-Patzan

good luck at Vandy! :luck: ...and thanks for the good luck in getting off of the usc waitlist....it would have been cool to be classmates with you, you seem like a nice guy..... :)

Buddha said:
I faxed my withdraw on 5/14, but as of two days ago, USC had not officially removed me from the accepted list. Not sure if this affects the rate at which they pull people off the waitlist, but it could indicate that they are moving slow. Good luck to y'all though. It was a really tough decision not to go to USC.

good luck to you :) you got into the UC's....and that's v. cool :thumbup:

You can add me to that list. I've been away from SDN for awhile but that's because I didn't see much hope with waitlist movement at USC with how the rankings went up this year. I hope they really do start moving soon~

--jdc5
--kenshinoro2004
--camstah
--markus21

camstah said:
Okay, seeing that the UCLA waitlist thread may be good karma, I figure we'll start a USC Wailist list...everyone can use some good karma! hopefully this will work for some of us.... :luck:

--jdc5
--kenshinoro2004
--camstah

:luck:

hey markus...i think this year will see just as much waitlist movement as previous years...i don't think many people outside of SDN give a damn about rankings.....which is how things should be....so keep the hope alive, i think the waitlist will start to move this week and into june, and hopefully you'll get taken off of it :luck:

kenshinoro2004 said:
I'm prayin every day... cuz i like how the students at usc seem to get along/ have a variety of backgrounds...so if your out there..and u want ucsd :) we can swap :)

you're in at ucsd? congratulations.....that is pretty cool :thumbup:

bumping...happy monday everyone......

Just sent in my withdraw letter. Good luck everyone.

patzan said:
Just sent in my withdraw letter. Good luck everyone.

Thanks Patzan! Good luck at Vandy!

Now where's that phone call.....*restlessly drums fingers on desk*
Reeeeally don't want to have to rewrite my personal statement in the next few weeks. It almost killed me last summer (engineers aren't always the best writers).

Well happy monday everyone on the list...let's hope there's some movement this week.

I just found out I got waitlisted on Saturday...good luck to you guys!

--jdc5
--kenshinoro2004
--camstah
--JennyCal

JennyCal said:
I just found out I got waitlisted on Saturday...good luck to you guys!

welcome to the club...hopefully not for long though :luck:

camstah,
I keep seeing this thread come up and I always hope it is you posting that you got in. Be sure to let me know when you do get the call.
-patzan

I got waitlisted in early April.

--jdc5
--kenshinoro2004
--camstah
--JennyCal

--jdc5
--kenshinoro2004
--camstah
--JennyCal
--BananaSplit

patzan said:
camstah,
I keep seeing this thread come up and I always hope it is you posting that you got in. Be sure to let me know when you do get the call.
-patzan

dude, could you be any nicer? :) thanks...if i get in i'll be sure and post it :D second time's a charm you know......

I just officially accepted my spot at Pritzker so theres an open spot at USC now. Let me know who gets it...

yabastaman said:
I just officially accepted my spot at Pritzker so theres an open spot at USC now. Let me know who gets it...

Just another person on the USC waitlist who would like to thank you for letting us know that you are withdrawing. It gives us something to hope for.

Sincerely,

Curandero :luck:

The Official USC Waitlist: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

--jdc5
--kenshinoro2004
--camstah
--JennyCal
--BananaSplit
--curandero

I'm also waiting... and also graduated with an engineering degree, although I don't really consider myself as one hehe... GOod luck all...

The Official USC Waitlist:

--jdc5
--kenshinoro2004
--camstah
--JennyCal
--BananaSplit
--curandero
--byrodini

hmmm...i wonder when the waitlist will start moving.....

must....bump....this...thread......

on another note, has anyone tried emailing Dr. Quinn? I've emailed a couple of LOI's, and have gotten no response....bad sign ya think?

camstah said:
must....bump....this...thread......

on another note, has anyone tried emailing Dr. Quinn? I've emailed a couple of LOI's, and have gotten no response....bad sign ya think?

Most emails I've written to deans and such have had no response. Well, they respond once but do not engage in dialogue.

Here's some good luck/karma for you guys:

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

let us know!

byrodini said:
I'm also waiting... and also graduated with an engineering degree, although I don't really consider myself as one hehe... GOod luck all...

I'm in the same boat. Did the biomedical engineering thing but realized I wanted to do mostly the biomedical part and not so much the engineering. ;)

:bump:

Eraserhead said:
Most emails I've written to deans and such have had no response. Well, they respond once but do not engage in dialogue.

oh...well my no response situation doesn't seem like such a bad sign then i guess :)

How did you address your LOI's Camstah?

I just wonder whether Dr. Quinn actually saw my LOI or if it went straight into my folder never to see the light of day?

jdc5 said:
How did you address your LOI's Camstah?

I just wonder whether Dr. Quinn actually saw my LOI or if it went straight into my folder never to see the light of day?

I have the same question (although its too late for me). I addressed them to the admissions office as:

Dear Dean/Admissions Commitee,

Blah Blah Blah...

curandero said:
I have the same question (although its too late for me). I addressed them to the admissions office as:

Dear Dean/Admissions Commitee,

Blah Blah Blah...

Me too. I just sent mine to:

Erin A. Quinn, Ph.D.
Keck School of Medicine
University of Southern California
1975 Zonal Avenue
yadda yadda yadda...

I'm thinking about sending a second one (more personal, less list of reasons why I would fit in)...anybody got a home address on her. heh heh :D

i sent mine addressed both to Dr. Quinn and to the Admissions Committee (so i sent two different letters, but only for the last two LOI's i sent)...i also emailed a copy of it to the medadmit address...i figure it's got to get into my file somehow, and get read by someone!!!! even if it doesn't get read, it settles my mind a little to know i at least did something...i didn't even know to send in these letters until jalby told me to last year when i was applying...the one i sent last year wasn't very good, it was short and not personal and said nothing about me....this years batch was much better...whether it makes a difference or not we'll see...so far i'm still waitlisted...

my loi's ... i wrote two letters and i addressed both of them directly to dean quinn. the first letter was pretty generic and short - what i like about keck and why i would be a good fit. the second letter was very personal and a lot longer - it was all about my family and how they have influenced my decision to go into medicine. at this point, i think a personal letter will be more influential and won't hurt you if you are genuine and sincere. best of luck to everyone who is waiting!! :luck:

stork, you were in the april batch of interviewees, right? i think you were going to be accepted anyway, they were probably just waiting for someone to drop in order to send you your acceptance....especially because it seems like there has been no movement since then....this happened last year to a friend of mine...we had all just sent in our waitlist letters, and she was taken off of the waitlist a few days after...although other people weren't until a month later...we were in the last batch of interviewees too....so i think it's sort of the same thing.....basically you got the equivalent of an outright acceptance :)