USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Regina330

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I would just like to know if anyone has gone to USC for an interview and how it was. I have an upcoming interview and was just wondering what the format was like or any feedback on the school.

Also, if any USC students read this, what are your feelings on the school and what is the area that the school is in like?

Thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I had an interview at USC's dental school about 4 years ago. The immediate area is OK because its right on the USC campus. If you go a couple blocks away, however, its a pretty bad area.

I don't actually remember what the interview was like. It must not have been too bad or I would remember it. The thing that stuck out the most was their friggin tuition. I think it was 40,000 or so back then!

Regina,

I hope that this is not too late. The interview at USC this year is 2 days. Since they changed their whole curriculum to Problem Based Learning (PBL), the interview process really focuses on that a lot. First you write a half a page essay (they give you a question). The question is nothing tricky. Then you take a tour, financial aid session, etc. The unique part about the interview at USC is that they actually have you do a PBL exercise, which takes about 45 min or so. I guess depends on the size of your group. I was the very first group of people interviews so only 5 people showed up. They assess you while you do this exercise with the group. The topic is not related to anything in science. Just be sure to contribute as much as you can cause I heard that this exercise is about 1/3 of the determining factor on acceptance. The actual interview was very laid back. He did ask me what I thought about USC and the PBL program.

You have no lectures. I think you meet with your group 3 times a week. Good luck on your interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
cassie-

did you just interview at uop on 11/19??

Cassie,

Thank you for the information on the interview! It is really helpful to have an idea of what I am in for, since this a very different interview format from others that I have been on. I am heading out next Monday and my interview is scheduled for Dec 4 & 5, so the info is just in time!

Just one question about the PBL session...did they ask any questions, or was did they just hand out an article to read and observe as you discuss it with your group?

Thanks again for all of your help! :)

Regina,

For the PBL session, a group of 30 is divided into 3 groups of 10. You have a mediator and a person assessing you. The students do all the talking and leading. The mediator only guides you if you go off track. I think you get 4 or 5 different sheets (all related or continuous story), but you will only get one sheet at a time. For each, the group has to go in the front and write down facts, hypothesis, and learning needs. Then after you finish, you'll get another sheet w/continuation (more hints) of the story with more facts. You do the same thing (facts, hypothesis, learning needs). You will get a big post-it to write on the board. Each of us just took turns writing on the board. In the end, the mediator will give you the actual solution to the problem for you to read.

Cassie,

Thanks again for the info. I am nervous about this interview and really appreciate all of the help I can get!

Hi Regina,
How did the interview go ? What your views abt the school?

The interview went really well. I like the facilities, everyone was very friendly, I like the location (not necessarily the neighborhood, but LA). I like the idea of PBL and the fact that you start clinical work your first year. Definitely my first choice! I just wish they would make a decision on me soon, so I don't wate money on deposits at other schools, or lose my place at other schools.

Regina ..thnx
Iam glad things went well for you . Iam also sorta relieved now that I some good reviews about USC. I'd applied for the advance standing program there ( iam done with the interview). Iam waiting for their call as of yet .
I havent heard too many ppl give me good reviews abt USC so I was i lil puzzled till now. I liked the facilities too but I didnt find the staff very friendly.
I also heard they are going to merge the advance standing students with the regluar batch , do you know anything abt that ?
Thnx again for your review !

Perplexed -

I don't think that they can mix the advanced standing students with the rest of the students b/c correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't advanced standing 2 or 3 yrs only? They didn't mention anything while I was there about mixing advanced standing. There were about 10 advanced standing students checking the place out though.

As far as good reviews, I think it is completely at the discretion of yourself. I got bad reviews on NYU, and I ended up really liking it there. But, I know what you mean. I loved USC and after reading bad reviews, it made me wonder if I missed something.

When was your interview at USC??

Regina,
I meant blending advance standing students with the 3rd yrs.....I got you confused there, didnt I ? Sorry !
Abt USC, I liked the facilities, the infrastructure is really good. The reason Iam finding it diffcult to make up my mind abt USC is because they didnt show us around the school for the oreintation, we had to literally explore it for ourselves during our 4 days stay there & Iam sure I missed most of it .I was just trying not to get lost in that place :)
We didnt get a chance to speak to the current students either & no profs came forward to talk to us .....
Where as in UPENN, BU, UCSF, NYU etc ...they really took the pains to sell their school to us , didnt they ?

The city is great ! So is the weather. Research facilities are excellent I believe. And USCSD is not isolated for the rest of the USC, that's a good thing eh !

If there's anything else you'd like to share abt USC please do .
Thnx !