Insight Needed on Maryland and USC: Board Preparedness, Matching into Military OMFS, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elder_Citrus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the series of questions.

1. I am aware that this is a very premature question to ask for an incoming D1, but I read from multiple threads that ranking/GPA and CBSE both play a role in matching into military OMFS (full ride thanks to hpsp).

2. I am open to the PBL curriculum at USC, yet could it entail that more self-studying will be involved for CBSE compared to students at UMD where they learn through lectures? I don’t want to suffer from potential knowledge gaps

3. It seems that UMD had a consistent pass rate for ADEX for the past years (I had trouble finding the data for NBDE/INBDE). I couldn’t find similar data for USC regarding INBDE or WREB (according to people on SDN USC has not been the best at the latter?).

4. Is USC’s way of implementing PBL beneficial INBDE? Since the new board is more case based.

Members don't see this ad.

1. What branch of service are you?

2. Unless a school has true medical curriculum, no dental school will prepare you for the CBSE. You’re 100% on your own to learn.

1. What branch of service are you?

2. Unless a school has true medical curriculum, no dental school will prepare you for the CBSE. You’re 100% on your own to learn.

I applied for both Army and Navy, accepted by the former and waiting upon the latter. From my understanding, Army has more spots in general but requires one year of GPR/AEGD.

Neither of the schools I was accepted into is med school integrated, and I’m sure self-study is a must. What I am concerned about is how much free/study time one gets for USC/UMD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied for both Army and Navy, accepted by the former and waiting upon the latter. From my understanding, Army has more spots in general but requires one year of GPR/AEGD.

Neither of the schools I was accepted into is med school integrated, and I’m sure self-study is a must. What I am concerned about is how much free/study time one gets for USC/UMD.
No AEGD or GPR is required to specialize in the Army. As of this time, it’s not extremely difficult to be accepted via Army to OMS. If you have more questions pm me.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty sure Army OMS is easier to match into than any other OMS option.

0FD7ED3F-A49F-4473-B6AA-BBF424B36C08.jpeg

Big Hoss

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
One of my chief concerns tbh. Is it as bad as everyone says?

^ on their website

Darn that’s unnerving…
Yeah lol, the reason why I never applied to UMD. I would much rather go to a place that's safer if possible. I never applied to a program where I wouldn't be okay living there for 4 years. Honestly, I would choose USC. Any program besides UMD, but that's me.

When do you need to make the decision by?

Yeah lol, the reason why I never applied to UMD. I would much rather go to a place that's safer if possible. I never applied to a program where I wouldn't be okay living there for 4 years. Honestly, I would choose USC. Any program besides UMD, but that's me.

When do you need to make the decision by?

By the end of March. Frankly, I’m leaning more toward USC at this point all things considered.

How much debt?

Most likely zero thanks to Uncle Sam lol. Regarding the cost of living, I’Il probably split an apartment with friends and that should be covered by the monthly stipend.

I was blessed by Cal grant and some merit scholarships for my undergrad plus a part-time job, so I’m pretty much aversive to taking out an astronomical amount of loan, so it was full-ride or nothing for me.

2. I am open to the PBL curriculum at USC, yet could it entail that more self-studying will be involved for CBSE compared to students at UMD where they learn through lectures? I don’t want to suffer from potential knowledge gaps

The PBL curriculum will not prepare you in the slightest for the CBSE. You'll barely scratch the surface. The benefit of having PBL is the relatively light workload, so you'll have a bit more time to study, especially as a D3.

4. Is USC’s way of implementing PBL beneficial INBDE? Since the new board is more case based.

Don't worry about it. The INBDE was a joke, and nearly identical in format to the exams you'll take at USC. Almost everybody passed this year.