Used Books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amy13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know how we can get a book list for trying to find used books before school starts? I was just curious. I'm sure it's cheaper to get them ahead of time rather than waiting until school starts. THat's how undergrad was anyway. Any ideas?

PCO for me :)

Members don't see this ad.

make sure you talk to someone in the class ahead of you about what books you absolutely need! I ran out and got used books at ecampus.com before my first year.. and then found out I only really NEEDED two out of the six books I bought. Profs will tell you you need WAY more book than what you really do. Taking to upper classmen is best!

Do optometry school use the same textbooks year after year or do they change pretty often?

Generally they change when the edition is updated or outdated. But, sometimes the prof will give us reading from books that have been out of print for 30 years. That actually only happened in one class when the prof wanted us to read a procedural section on some test. I tend to buy more books than most people I know, but i do talk to the prof a lot. I always ask them, "If you were to buy one book on your list, what would it be?" Then, I will look through the book in the library and decide if I want it. A lot of students will tell you to just read the notes, or read the copy that is in the library, but that won't help you after you graduate. You need to start your library now so when that really wired thing walks into your door, you can pick up a couple text and figure out what it is.

But in general, they don't just change text to change.