Used fake name without quotes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flgirl123

Reaction score
Hi so basically AMCAS is already submitted and I used a fake patient name without quotes in one of my meaningful experiences essays (which has the hospital i worked at). “I had a patient named Claire.” I talk about how her brain cancer was misdiagnosed. I have read all the threads on this & I’m freaking out, and considering putting “the patient I previously referred to as Claire” in all of my secondary essays. Is it worth it or should I just chill?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can chill. Using a single letter or abbreviating the name or using a completely different one... makes no difference as long as the patient is not uniquely identifiable. Of course, you could get consent and use the real name, and we probably wouldn't know unless you told us.

You can chill. Using a single letter or abbreviating the name or using a completely different one... makes no difference as long as the patient is not uniquely identifiable. Of course, you could get consent and use the real name, and we probably wouldn't know unless you told us.
Usually true, but I knew a woman who saw an application from someone who had volunteered at her kid's school (name of the school included in the work/activities section) and a description of her kid including his first name (kid had a common name but distinctive adaptive equipment due to a disability) in the personal statement. She recused herself from any review of the application. She was just back to work from her child's funeral. You never know; be discrete.