Fake Patient Names In PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velvetcoffee

Coffee
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I want to confirm this is something you could do. I made up two names for my PS "Maria" and "Jazzy." I put the first mention of them in quotes to signal they are fake (Jazzy obviously isn't even a real name and Maria isn't even close), but does this work? This is what I was told to do especially because I don't have the characters to explain it's a fake name. I also don't want to lose the name because that loses a lot of personal touch and I, personally, hate how that sounds. I wouldn't think ADCOMS would think anyone would use the real name, but I am just wondering.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it's standard to introduce people in essays with a made up name in quotes. You can have the quotes the first time you mention the name, but also no need to have the quotes around the name in each subsequent mention.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What you've done is fine. However, to save precious space, you could use an initial to identify a patient--e.g., "While I was shadowing an OB on the maternity ward, I met J, a female patient with . . ."

Reactions: 1 user
What you've done is fine. However, to save precious space, you could use an initial to identify a patient--e.g., "While I was shadowing an OB on the maternity ward, I met J, a female patient with . . ."
This is how I did it too, single letter initial to save characters.

Reactions: 1 user