Sep 3, 2016
Hey! Been lurking for a few years!

Background info:

I was suspended from my first college 6 years ago for underage drinking and later dropped out. I am an alcoholic and have been sober for 5 and a half years now, am applying this June.

I have decided to write my statement based on my alcoholism and I know this is a big risk, have done a lot of research on this. but I have to be honest. I honestly would rather not get into medical school because I was honest than get in based on a lie. Not to mention the entire reason I decided I wanted to become a physician was because of my journey through Alcoholics Anonymous.

So my question is:
Will my status as a URM ( full blood Native American female, tribally enrolled) help cancel out my suspension? Or will it least get my application looked at? As long as I get looked at, my personal statement can take it from there.

Other major stats:
Sgpa 4.0
Cgpa 3.96
Mcat 51x
Clinical employment: 5000 hours
Nonclinical volunteering 3,000 hours
NO RESEARCH EXPERIENCE- hate research. Doesn't interest me.

Responses are much appreciated :) I know how messy URM threads can get, not interested in a debate. Lol

Reactions: OchemOficionado

TheBiologist

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2015
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
So the only reason you got suspended was for drinking?

frankly, I think the ADCOMS are not idiotic enough to think you're the only person to drink in college. most people do not get caught

I would also assume that most people with higher intelligence (i.e. people in academics, people holding doctorage degrees) would hold the political view that the drinking age should be 18 anyway, as it is in ever other industrialized country

p.s. it is risky to write about your alcoholism.... from what I've gathered, you should not talk about addiction, depression etc.

OP
B
Sep 3, 2016
that may be true, but still I'm worried about being thrown in the trash without my application even being read. After all, there are thousands upon thousands of great applications that don't involve college suspensions. Plus there's the whole alcoholism thing, haha. Just wondering how much URM status will balance the scales.

I go back and forth on the alcoholism topic. I decided to write about it because I feel like cannot write a compelling, genuine personal statement without it, BUT I really would like to be a doctor and feel like I could really help my tribe.

I'm probably overthinking things. Thanks for the response :)

May 23, 2016
that may be true, but still I'm worried about being thrown in the trash without my application even being read. After all, there are thousands upon thousands of great applications that don't involve college suspensions. Plus there's the whole alcoholism thing, haha. Just wondering how much URM status will balance the scales.

I go back and forth on the alcoholism topic. I decided to write about it because I feel like cannot write a compelling, genuine personal statement without it, BUT I really would like to be a doctor and feel like I could really help my tribe.

I'm probably overthinking things. Thanks for the response :)
If you can tie your alcoholism to cultural issues of your community--i believe alcoholism is particularly a problem in native American communities--you can probably turn it into a positive particularly if your volunteering or work are related to the issue/your community.

OP
B
Sep 3, 2016
Ah yes, they are! Homeless shelter for pregnant women alcoholics and a Native American mental health clinic.

How many schools do you think should I apply to? My application is kind of a weird one and I',pm not sure if I should go a little more selective due to stats (10-15 schools) or apply as broadly as I can afford (30-40 schools.)

ChrisMack390

2+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I think this is definitely a risk, but could be a well calculated risk pending MCAT. 512 is very different from 519.

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
Forget being URM dude you would have a good shot no matter your ethnicity. The no research is kinda bad I guess but I mean I think it's pretty awesome that the reason you wanted to become a physician was AA, especially because alcoholism is such a problem in Native communities. I think you should go for it.

You should really try to do some research, though. Maybe you could do help with some community/public health research to study alcoholism? That might interest you more.

Also, funny story: Ted Geisel was suspended from writing on the school newspaper due to underage drinking. He switched his name to Dr. Seuss to circumvent the ban. Now there's a medical school named after him (Dartmouth).

Last edited:

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
You should not need more than 15 schools. If you don't get into a single MD school with a reasonable list of 15 schools (no schools that are OOS unfriendly) I'd gladly put $1000 toward your reapplication cycle. I don't believe the IA for alcohol consumption nor alcoholism will be negatives in this circumstance and given the length of your sobriety.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
OP, as usual, the wise LizzyM is spot on. YOU will get tons of IIs. Aim high.

walloobi

2+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2014
The capital of Maine, which is Montpelier Vermont
Status
Medical Student
I think this is definitely a risk, but could be a well calculated risk pending MCAT. 512 is very different from 519.
I'd beg to differ, I think a 512 and 519 would produce similar results in this case given the apparent primary care focus of OP's app. If s/he was interested in top-tier research schools? Sure, you'd probably be right. But that doesn't seem to be the case. S/he's going to be successful with any 510+ score.

Edit: congrats on the sobriety OP, keep up the good work.