Useful DAT Tools & 25AA Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w4nt2baDDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
These are the scores I earned on the DAT (25AA/25TS):
DAT SCORES.jpg

Here are all the practice scores I earned (I took all these the week leading up to my test)
Test Score Compilation.JPG

As you can see, my scores were considerably better on the real DAT than on the practice tests. During the real DAT I felt the overall intensity was less than any practice test I had taken. If Topscore and Bootcamp are at 100% intensity the real DAT felt like 85% to me.

Before I get into a breakdown, I want to share with you guys some info/tools that I made/found/were given to me which helped me study.

1) This is the same periodic table you will see on the DAT.DAT Perioid Table.PNG

2) This is the same style of graph paper you will see on the DAT.DAT Graph Sheet.jpg
I printed this double sided and had it laminated at staples for only a few dollars. I also bought fine point sharpie markers and during my practice tests I would set my sheets up and use them! (Had to use acetone to remove the sharpie writing after each test -- not a fun experience but worth it!)

3) Destroyer Bio worksheet (40 questions per sheet – allowed me to simulate mini tests) [see attached]

4) Destroyer G-Chem worksheet (30 questions per sheet – simulates a test) [Placed in 2nd Post]

5) Destroyer O-Chem worksheet (30 questions per sheet – simulates a test) [Placed in 2nd Post]

6) Math Destroyer worksheet (40 questions per sheet) [Placed in 2nd Post]

7) Periodic Table implemented into Desktop background. This proved to be a good idea. [Placed in 2nd Post]

8) Here is the exact test structure and order for the DAT. [Placed in 2nd Post]

9) Here is a link which allows you to estimate your DAT scores: http://www.ivyglobal.ca/more/dat_estimate_score.pdf

10) Here is a link to helpful biology and science mnemonics http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/list-mcat-mnemonics-and-memory-aids.42149/

11) Here is a link to the Prometric online tutorial. This is the same tutorial they have you take in the 15 minute optional tutorial prior to the 100 Natural Sciences questions. https://www.prometric.com/ClientFiles/ada/DAT/index.htm

12) This intro to Top Front End (TFE) questions quickly got me thinking in terms of solid and dashed lines.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy80IOn1mko

13) This Reading Comprehension strategy worked really well for me. (The 16 I scored on bootcamp was when I tried to do the Search and Destroy method and not this method).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2P9giE098w
Key note: the RC section STRUCTURE/FORMAT is more similar to TopScore than Bootcamp. Questions on TOP, Text on Bottom

Materials you need:

1) DAT Destroyer (10/10) – The first time through the questions will NOT be easy… I was getting 30-50% wrong first time through. I have the 2014 version.
2) Math Destroyer (10/10) – My book had 15 tests. The first 10 tests took me on average 70ish minutes to finish. Tests 11-12 took me 90-100ish minutes to complete. 13-15 took me around an hour to complete. On the real tests, I worked through every problem and had 4 minutes to spare.
3) Bootcamp (9.5/10) – Wish there was a way to have detailed test results stored for future reference.
4) Cliff’s AP Biology (10/10) - Considering this wasn't made for the DAT it's amazing. (3rd edition)
5) Chads Videos&Quizzes (10/10) - Amazing lecturer -- Quizzes made me realize how much closer attention I should have been paying when watching his videos!
6) TopScore (9/10) -- Sciences are tough, RC format is on point -- but passages are denser than real DAT

Okay, now the breakdown and short background.

I work Mon-Friday typically 8 to 9 hours a day and had to study in the evenings from roughly 9pm-1am. I studied about 4-5 hours a day for 5 and a half months. I graduated from college in June of 2014 and many of the general chemistry and organic chemistry subtleties had eroded away after 3 years.

Okay, now here's the breakdown!

1st) Content Review

Bio:

Read every chapter in Cliffs AP biology and take detailed notes. I went through every chapter only once but slowly. Do NOT read chapter 11 (Animal Form and Function) which is woefully inadequate. Instead read Feralis Biology Notes and take notes (this is time consuming but worth it!) for these topics.

G-Chem & O-Chem:

Watch all of Chad’s videos and take detailed notes. I would take the quizzes 1 to 2 days after watching the associated videos. This way I wasn’t relying on simple short term memory to answer the questions – really helped me realize which topics went right over my head. I would make sure to always turn off the quiz function which tells you how many answers you have gotten correct – that’s just not effective studying. I took each quiz once.. and many times earned a nice RED bubble to a category… Only after I had gone through all the quizzes once did I go back and re-tackle the ones I struggled with. I would never take the same quiz more than once in the same day.

Math:

Watch Chad’s math videos. Certain strategies like using the answer choices in age related problems or his drilling of log(3) is approx. 0.5 and log(6) is approx. .75 will prove extremely helpful in math and g-chem. The math quizzes can be time consuming and I would suggest doing them only once and maybe a few of the ones you extra struggle with twice. Chad’s math is preparing you for Math Destroyer which is what really takes you to the next level.

2nd) Work Problems

Go through the entire DAT destroyer.. and be prepared to get at LEAST 1/3 of the problems wrong the first time though. I made flash cards for EVERY bio question I got wrong and every science concept I didn't understand. Struggling with taxonomy, I got large sheets of paper and drew out the entire hierarchy of the eukaryotic phylas and plant subtleties -- this helped me tremendously. I had a LOT of flash cards and I would go through portions of them daily, but working problems is still the BEST way to get ahead.

3rd) Buy Bootcamp & and start doing the PAT generators. I would try to do 5-10 PAT problems from each section every night.. some nights I didn't have time. But I tried to stay active with PAT. Never did I feel ready for angle ranking and angles were probably the toughest PAT section on my test. Bootcamp will slightly over prepare you for everything else. Also, start reading science articles. I would map the articles out.. even without questions. Following the youtuber's advice, it really pays off.

4th) Go through Chad's G-Chem & O-Chem quizzes a SECOND time and do the BIO quizzes for the first time.

5th) Do DAT Destroyer AGAIN! The second time through went sooo much better for me. But still, I could miss up to 8 or 9 questions on a specific set of 30 g-chem or o-chem questions.

Do the first 10 Math Destroyer Tests mixed in with the 2nd round of DAT Destroyer. I made flash cards for the key formulas in the front of Math Destroyer and I also made flash cards for key math concepts I ran across in the problems -- really helped come test day.

5th) Do all of Chad's G-Chem Quizzes a third time in ONE FULL DAY & O-Chem quizzes in half the next day -- this is a good assessment to see which areas any deficiencies may still be lurking!

6th) Work through the last 5 math destroyer tests and DO DESTROYER O-CHEM & G-CHEM A THIRD TIME

Honestly, even on the third time through I still would get a few problems wrong -- never did I feel like I had the answers memorized! I typically would work the problem out before looking at the answer choice which also helped prevent memorizing solutions. The third time through Destroyer was great, I typically would only miss 1-2 questions per every chunk of 30 questions -- but I did miss 5 questions on one chunk though (even on the third time)!! The third time through Destroyer was more than worth it! There are subtleties within the problems that I was completely ignorant to on my first and second time through (this is especially true for o-chem). By completing Chad's quizzes three times, doing Destroyer twice, and working flash cards, the third time through DAT Destroyer became completely game changing.

7th) Begin Practice tests 8 days prior to your DAT(my boss went on vacation which I planned my test date around -- this allowed me to take 7 practice tests leading right up to my DAT).

This is the order in which I took them:
1) TopScore #1 & Review -- The first one is far more mentally exhausting than I was ready for.
2) TopScore#2 & Review
3) Bootcamp#2 & Review
4) Bootcamp#3 & Review
5) Bootcamp#4 & Review
6) TopScore#3 & Review
7) Bootcamp#5 --didn't take the QR... & Review

(I took the first bootcamp sections early on in my studies but never logged my scores...I started to retake the test later on and realized I had some of the solutions still memorized -- preventing me from ascertaining accurate scores for the first set)

These practice tests got my brain saturated with the structure and overall feel/vibe of the DAT. With the limited amount of RC practice available I wanted to hit the RC practice right before the real test. This is why I saved all of my practice tests for the days leading up to my real DAT.

8th) The day before test.. don't slouch. I compiled and reworked all of the destroyer questions I got wrong on the 3rd time through, plus the ones I marked as important concepts to review, plus the bio questions I got wrong the second time through. I also went through the review notes I made after each practice test.

I also reworked math destroyer test #7 just to see if my timing had improved. It sure did! Instead of the original 70 minutes to complete the test I was able to finish it in 43 minutes. I knew I was pretty much squared away on the math! (pun intended)

9th) TEST DAY
I read and mapped 2 science articles first thing in the morning to get my brain warmed up. Then I worked 5 questions from each PAT category on a PAT test from bootcamp that I hadn't done, this got my brain going full speed for the day.

I reviewed plant physiology and some subtle phyla details and then left for the real deal.

I had the radio going good on the way there and told myself I was ready and that I was going to kick butt. Confidence is key!

I also was VERY careful not to over hydrate and made sure to go to the restroom immediately prior to being finger printed and metal detectored into the test.

In summary:
Do DAT destroyer 3 times. I honestly did it about 3.5 times. The day before the test I worked a lot of problems and felt like I built up to an information climax. Most of the problems were simply review but a few problems were still concepts I was ironing the last little wrinkles out of. Overall, make sure to also do Chad's quizzes 3 times too. Or at least 2 full times and do the ones you performed weak on enough times to fully understand them.

I cannot say my method is any type of short cut but I really do feel hard work and a solid strategy can pay off!

Lastly, thank you Dr. Romano, Nancy, Feralis, and the other frequent contributors to SDN. You guys make SDN an invaluable resource.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Bio Destroyer Worksheets.docx
    14.6 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
Reactions: 27 users
4) Destroyer G-Chem worksheet (30 questions per sheet – simulates a test)

5) Destroyer O-Chem worksheet (30 questions per sheet – simulates a test)

6) Math Destroyer worksheet (40 questions per sheet)

7) Periodic Table implemented into Desktop background. This proved to be a good idea. Periodic Table Background.jpg

8) Here is the exact test structure and order for the DAT. Test Structure.JPG

Because the 2015 Destroyer has more questions than the 2014 Destroyer I expanded the number of questions/sheets to accommodate/over accommodate for this.

Attachments

• O-Chem Destroyer worksheets.docx
    13.7 KB · Views: 296
  • G-Chem Destroye worksheets.docx
    13.9 KB · Views: 489
  • QR Destroyer worksheets.docx
    15.4 KB · Views: 280
Reactions: 1 user

7) Periodic Table implemented into Desktop background. This proved to be a good idea. View attachment 192357

8) Here is the exact test structure and order for the DAT. View attachment 192358

Because the 2015 Destroyer has more questions than the 2014 Destroyer I expanded the number of questions/sheets to accommodate/over accommodate for this.

Congratulations!!!! Another DAT Destroyed!!! We are always pleased to know our using materials helped you achieve your goal.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation it will definitely help other DAT student prepare for the DAT. .

You put in a LOT of hard WORK and it paid off with huge DAT scores. The DAT schools will take notice and a lot of interview invites will be coming your way.

Enjoy the holiday weekend, You deserve it!

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
Great job! How long does each round of destroyer take? Just wondering when I should start implementing them and stuff before my test

Great job! How long does each round of destroyer take? Just wondering when I should start implementing them and stuff before my test

The first time was painfully slow. I remember trying to get one section done per section each evening, ie: 30 questions from o-chem, 30-from g-chem, and 40 from bio. At this pace, plus maybe doing 2 bio sections on occasion (80 questions instead of 40) it took me a little less than 2 weeks my first time through. One of the reasons the process is so slow is because I would make flash cards on a lot of the bio content covered. By the end of my first time through, I had probably close to 600 bio cards, 200 o-chem cards (to be honest a good portion of these cards were made after working chad's ochem quizzes), and 150 g-chem cards.

The second time through was much faster and easier, but by the second time through I went into "final stretch/push" mentality and stepped things up a bit. I was able to do the Destroyer an entire second time in about 4 FULL days. At this time, I had started to do Math Destroyer too -- which can be very time consuming but completely worth the pain. You can probably do Destroyer in 2-3 days FULL days without Math Destroyer interlaced. By the second time through I had added about 100 additional bio flash cards, and roughly 25 additional O-chem flash cards, and maybe 10 additional g-chem cards. (Before doing destroyer a second time -- do Chad's quizzes a 2nd time and bio quizzes for the first time)

The third time through Destroyer was done in just three evenings about 1.5 weeks prior to my test. I did the O-Chem in one night. Then the next two nights I did all of the G-Chem questions. Definitely was some hard work but this was really when I started to believe I would succeed. I didn't do bio a third time -- by the second time through in combination with working flash cards bio is really beginning to be locked down. After the 2nd time with bio and after the 3rd time with G-Chem and O-Chem make a list of the question numbers you got wrong and of the ones you marked/noted as important questions. This list was actually rather long and kept me busy for about 8 hours the day before my test -- I still feel like working that many problems was a way to build up to a type of science epitome.

So in short, for me it took about 2 weeks the first time, an extended weekend the 2nd time, and 3 evenings the third time (excluding bio).

Amazing scores! Had a quick question for you. How did you approach preparing for the plants/biological diversity section. I'm finding the amount of details in these sections very tedious to learn in particular the Kingdom Protista/Fungi/Plant areas. Did you try to make sure you understood the concepts without worrying too much about memorizing specific details, or did you try to make sure you knew as many details as possible out of cliffs.

Chapter 9 (Biological Diversity) and Chapter 10 (Plants) in Cliff's AP Bio were honestly very tedious to go through the first time. Of all the chapters I believe I retained the least from these chapters. It wasn't until I started to do Destroyer problems did I realize that I needed to approach this stuff differently than most other topics. I got several large 17inch by 11inch sheets of paper I started from ground zero. On one of the large sheets, I wrote the three domains out (Archaea, Bacteria, and Eukarya) and I simply branched everything out.. I didn't fill in every detail though. I needed a way to see the hierarchy from the top down and ALL at the same time. Then I used one large sheet per kingdom. This allowed me to get the details. For me, the patterns and details were obtained slowly and together. You really cannot have one without the other.

Here is a picture of all the large sheets I used. On the far left I didn't even fill the plantea taxonomy details... I just needed to write it all out to get the big picture. Besides, from destroyer I had formed a stack of flashcards just dedicated to plant physiology and taxonomy.

IMG_3615.jpg

I used mnemonics to remember all of the phylas within protists, fungi, plantae, and Animalia and masochistically would re-sight them at least 2-3 times a week to make sure I always had the big picture. In my opinion, the most difficult details to get all straighten out lie within Animalia and Protists (especially protozoa - animal like protists). The details will be tested on though! Especially Animalia details.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I used the 3rd edition for Cliff's AP Biology. This edition is very inexpensive and still tremendously reliable. Somewhere in the first chapter or two it'll state plants don't have lysosomes and this has recently been shown to not be true. Because of the confusion around this, it's likely they wont test on it... but if my test would have asked I would have gone with the answer choice that says plants do have lysosomes.

Congrats on your great scores. Can you please tell me how I can see the tutorial of parts 12 and 13 of your break down? (TFE and RC). I can't open them. Thanks

Odd that the videos don't work for you. I added the links underneath the videos in the original posts. Those should work for you.

Killer scores! Congrats!

In the link you posted to estimate DAT scores, do you know how RC is calculated? In the table it seems different than the other sections.

Amazing breakdown, this was so encouragingand the practice scores were especially helpful. I was so discouraged after taking Bootcamp 5 because from Bootcamp 4, exactly like you I went from getting 26-29 to all the sudden back to 19,20,21s... You deserved the score, congrats!

Killer scores! Congrats!

In the link you posted to estimate DAT scores, do you know how RC is calculated? In the table it seems different than the other sections.

Thanks tooth_hurty!

The RC is out of 17 questions instead of the 50. Each passage typically has 16-18 questions associated with it so I guess they decided to just to extrapolate RC scores from a single passage instead from three passages and a total of 50 questions. (kind of silly)

7) Periodic Table implemented into Desktop background. This proved to be a good idea. View attachment 192357

8) Here is the exact test structure and order for the DAT. View attachment 192358

How many destroyer questions did you do per day? I'm starting destroyer monday and wondering what's the best way to partition time and review

Also, when did you take the DAT bootcamp tests. Near the end? Or as a diagnostic sorta thing to see what you needed to improve on?

Wow! This is crazy. Unreal scores. Congrats on all your hard work paying off!
emoji41.png

Thanks Kronk!

Also, when did you take the DAT bootcamp tests. Near the end? Or as a diagnostic sorta thing to see what you needed to improve on?

Took Bootcamp and Topscore tests over the course of 7 days leading up to the exam. Towards the end of the the breakdown I list which order I took them. I used them as a diagnostic tool and stamina building tool. They ask good questions and understanding the questions you get wrong can take you to the next level.

How many destroyer questions did you do per day? I'm starting destroyer monday and wondering what's the best way to partition time and review

First time through I did 30 g-chem, 30 o-chem, 40 to 80 bio questions each day. Making flash cards for a lot of the material. 2nd time through I added Math Destroyer so I was still doing about the same amount plus 1-3 Math Destroyer tests.

Third time through, I did all O-chem in one sitting (you can do it!) and the g-chem in two evenings (Yes, the third time through you'll be able to pull this off).

General advice, do as many destroyer questions as you can but remember thoroughly reviewing the questions is very critical. My schedule started off light and crescendo to the test.

You take the 07/09 DAT practice tests?

Nope, I didn't take either. I wanted to but time constraints ultimately prevented me. I'm sure they would have helped a little but I'm kind of glad I stuck with only taking electronic versions of the test.

Would you recommend taking the DAT after sophomore year or after junior year?

If you have had the foresight to take all the required classes and feel prepared for the DAT then taking it after sophomore year puts you in an optimal position -- assuming you do well on it.

For me:
I took the DAT after I graduated but I definitely had taken all of the major science courses and some helpful upper division courses (biochem & genetics) by the end of my junior year. If I could do it all over again, I would take it at the end of the summer before senior year or even during winter break of senior year. I'm a big advocate for taking a gap year. I'm taking two. I've been working, volunteering, shadowing, and enjoying life a bit.

Bottom line, take it when you're ready. For me, that was later than most.

Do dental schools hold a spot for you the following year if you are admitted but decide to take a gap year?

Do dental schools hold a spot for you the following year if you are admitted but decide to take a gap year?

By gap year I was referring to applying the June/July after graduating and staying busy until you start D school, in the fall of the next year.

I'm a strong advocate of a gap year but I wouldn't ever hold off on an acceptance to wait another year... only do that if you have some kind of tragedy or family dilemma which forces you into that situation. I'm not sure if programs give applicants that option, I've never been in that situation, but I think the possibility isn't out the window if there truly is a good reason.

Love this breakdown, thanks for the detail!! I'm mapping out my study schedule for this summer and am using this pretty closely. Have a couple questions though: when you say go through DAT Destroyer, how did you break it up/how long did it take you to go through it all? I've seen some breakdowns that have specific questions they recommend, but I'm just not sure how much time to allot for this. Also, when repeating the Chad's GC and OC quizzes again, you also said to complete the bio quizzes... Are these with Chad's, Cliffs, or where?

Love this breakdown, thanks for the detail!!
Glad you found my breakdown useful =)

when you say go through DAT Destroyer, how did you break it up/how long did it take you to go through it all?
Check out post #7 of this thread, I talked a decent bit on how long it took me to go through Destroyer each time.

Also, when repeating the Chad's GC and OC quizzes again, you also said to complete the bio quizzes... Are these with Chad's, Cliffs, or where?
These are the bio quizzes on coursesavor, their are a total of 412 questions and I found them to be pretty useful to work through. I don't recommend watching much of Chad's biology videos though; between cliffs, destroyer, random helpful youtube videos, and feralis' notes you should be able to get all of the details for bio you'll need.

Good luck with your studying, you can do it!