Useful Tools and Info for Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrmilad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im looking forward to Med School starting next year, and I have some down time between now and then. I have been trying to find out, as a medical school, what are some necessary or helpful tools, software, and/or sites that medical students find useful? Be it anatomy tools, or even networking sites? Are there web services or networking sites that help med students keep tract of everything? Any input about current or services that you think can help in the future would be very much so appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

the reason for asking is that im a webdesigner and programmer, and Im trying to design a website which will help me streamline medschool. So I wanted inputs from current students on what they need most and what they find most helpful.

Seriously, there is not much that you can anticipate for med school that isn't already common knowledge or that your school doesn't help you with. They've done it before and they know what they're doing. Trust in this and go have some fun. The best thing I think you can do is have as much fun as you can over the next few months so you show up ready to work. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is what i need :

1. Stethoscope
2. Tendon Hammer
3. Pen touch
4. Measurement tape
5. White coat
6. Books
7. BRAIN
8. Iphone ( lot of medical apps out there..hehe)
9. Macbook

hmm..that's all i guess..

10. Beer

I would not go out and purchase items without speaking to someone from the school you are going to attend. Preferably a student. Some schools give you some of these items so there is no need to waste money buying them. My school gave us the pen light and tendon hammer.

Most schools have their own website for tracking your classes and coursework. Some schools require you to get a specific laptop and let their IT department load it up for you.

I would not go out and purchase items without speaking to someone from the school you are going to attend. Preferably a student. Some schools give you some of these items so there is no need to waste money buying them. My school gave us the pen light and tendon hammer.

Most schools have their own website for tracking your classes and coursework. Some schools require you to get a specific laptop and let their IT department load it up for you.

My school gave us some cool iphones! So better holla at your seniors firsta! :cool:

Do buy a PS3 though. And Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Now's the perfect time to get started before stupid studying interferes with your ability to play.

Do buy a PS3 though. And Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Now's the perfect time to get started before stupid studying interferes with your ability to play.

HELLS YA!
(But get a 360 instead ;) )

Yeah, amazing game. PS3 version is better too.

is an iphone or smart phone really necessary?

I'd suggest not worrying about med school at all but instead worry about friends, family, and more importantly party as much as you possibly can. You'll find you have little time for any of that once school starts.

Oh and a smart phone isn't necessary until you start doing doing rotations 3rd and 4th year (i'm not even sure if its necessary then, but i've been told this, only a 1st year right now)

Of course it is man. It's just recently became a prereq to even get into medical school. You better get one before you matriculate or you might have to reapply.

It sure is a nice excuse to get the parents to throw in some money for one, isn't it? ;)

Seriously, I did get one when I started med school, not because I really felt I needed one, but because my old one happened to die at just that time and our contract happened to be up so we got a massive discount. I was originally planning to wait it out until 3rd year, and I haven't encountered anything as a first year where I've needed it at all. It is, however, really cool, though :)

It sure is a nice excuse to get the parents to throw in some money for one, isn't it? ;)

Seriously, I did get one when I started med school, not because I really felt I needed one, but because my old one happened to die at just that time and our contract happened to be up so we got a massive discount. I was originally planning to wait it out until 3rd year, and I haven't encountered anything as a first year where I've needed it at all. It is, however, really cool, though :)

What type of phone did you get? I was debating between the Blackberry tour and motorola droid, went with the droid but have 30 days to change my mind if I want. The internet loads 20x faster, although blackberry's email is amazing. I can't do the iPhone, not a big fan of AT&T so I'll have to wait for it to come to verizon... hopefully :confused:

What type of phone did you get? I was debating between the Blackberry tour and motorola droid, went with the droid but have 30 days to change my mind if I want. The internet loads 20x faster, although blackberry's email is amazing. I can't do the iPhone, not a big fan of AT&T so I'll have to wait for it to come to verizon... hopefully :confused:

Yeah, I did iPhone, sorry. Been with AT&T for a while, and it was my first big phone upgrade (couldn't even take pictures before).

I have the plain call n text phone and a really cheap good plan with verizon right now. I was debating if I should get myself a smartphone (extra 30 dollars phone bill.) Is it that much more helpful to have? There is one school that require it though i heard. I'm definately get one for 3/4 year though. Hopefully by then, verizon will be offering the iphone.

I have the plain call n text phone and a really cheap good plan with verizon right now. I was debating if I should get myself a smartphone (extra 30 dollars phone bill.) Is it that much more helpful to have? There is one school that require it though i heard. I'm definately get one for 3/4 year though. Hopefully by then, verizon will be offering the iphone.

For first year I used a pda for organizational purposes which was helpful, doesn't need to all be one device because you have a whole backpack to schlep your stuff around in. During 3rd year it really is nice to have it all in one device since you're pocket space is at a premium. Having epocrates for drug info, being able to look things up on the internets, having access to your email, having a calendar and reminders, being able to pay your bills online while you eat lunch . . . all of these things have proven to be priceless during 3rd year.