• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

useful way to spend your summer

IPODiatrist

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2007
  1. Podiatry Student
  2. Attending Physician
    just wanted to get some input from either 3rd or 4th yrs, or practicing pods on how to spend the free summer b4 2nd yr begins. and any thing u wished u had done differently at that time.

i have 3 options that i can see now,
    a) self indulgence (possibly lazy)/work/travel/bull**** away. i like this one right now. haha
    b) research (either at temple---big neg here is that would req. more loan money, or research in my hometown at some med school/university but not pertaining to podiatry specifically)
    c) shadow residents in my hometown

for option b) would research have to necessarily pertain to the field of podiatry, or does any research pertaining to medicine qualify as a resume booster for applying to residencies? could i just as well do research in diabetes, rather than it specifically obtaining to the lower extremity?

what do you think is the most useful/productive way to spend the summer? anything u can suggest other than what i posted?

thanks

About the Ads

JEWmongous

10+ Year Member
    Aug 8, 2004
    Burlington, VT
      Is it pretty universal for all pod programs that there is a summer break for 2-3 months before second year then?

Depends on the school cowgirl. I know that Barry, Ohio, Azpod have summer semesters after the first year. I am pretty sure Scholl has summer classes now due to the change in their curriculum (you get a 3 week summer vacation).

With cali specifically, you may get the summer off depending on your lottery for 2nd year clinical rotations - but you can always swap with other students too. You would not have lecture, but Monday/Friday clinics instead.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
      Jun 24, 2006
      1. Podiatry Student
        With cali specifically, you may get the summer off depending on your lottery for 2nd year clinical rotations - but you can always swap with other students too. You would not have lecture, but Monday/Friday clinics instead.

Cali has clinical rotation from second year. wow! can you give some more info about these rotations.

JEWmongous

10+ Year Member
        Aug 8, 2004
        Burlington, VT
          Cali has clinical rotation from second year. wow! can you give some more info about these rotations.

https://www.samuelmerritt.edu/podiatric_medicine/clinical_information
          Click on the 2nd year section to learn more about the sophmore clinicals

CSPM 2nd years have lecture Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday with clinicals on Monday + Fridays (except homeless clinic which I think is Wed evenings) The clinicals are pretty varied, you have a rotation with simulated patients (mannequins), 2 radiology rotations, homeless clinic, laguna honda hospital, etc. CSPM is the only pod program to have this extensive amount of early clinicals. Most students I talked to liked having these clinics, as they are doing techniques that they are learning during lecture. Current 2nd years said they practice H & P's, debride nails/callouses/wounds, sometimes nail avulsions, etc. Attendings + upperclassmen are there to make sure you do things right.

The new dean (Dr. Venson) took over in June and is making some changes to the 2nd year clinicals, taking out ones which are mainly observation based (parnassus clinic - the place where everyone interviews at) in favor of workshops such as suturing, casting, etc. Seems like a good idea.

Depends on the school cowgirl. I know that Barry, Ohio, Azpod have summer semesters after the first year. I am pretty sure Scholl has summer classes now due to the change in their curriculum (you get a 3 week summer vacation).

thanks for the advice sister I appreciate it so you goin to cali or what?

definitely leaning towards it. Cannot stand this garbage cold weather plus the program seems to have a lot of positives. Only negative for me its a far far trip from home. Any updates on housing???

yeah man i talked to craig elliot he claims itll all be finalized this time in 1-2 weeks and they will send an email to all those that have sent their deposit. 20 blocks from campus is all I get everytime I call, lame.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.