Usefulness of ILPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

waldenwoods

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious about what current/former residents' thoughts are on their ILPs (Individualized Learning Plans), if they trained at a program that uses them.

🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have no strong opinion about ILPs, but as a resident advisor, what I don't like is to read an attending/senior resident say in an evaluation of an intern "needs to read more."

Duh.

Everyone, including me, "needs to read more." But, this is internship and folks are otherwise busy. Telling an intern they should read more is not a helpful suggestion.

If the attending means "the intern is an idiot", then it's a useless comment as idiocy is not very fixable.

If it means (and this is most common, IMO) "good resident, I can't figure out what to put in the improvements box of the evaluation" then say something like "no weaknesses identified".

So, go ahead and put on your ILP that you'll "read more".:laugh:
 
Echo the thoughts of above...

One more hoop to jump through when it comes time for semi-annual review
 
I have no strong opinion about ILPs, but as a resident advisor, what I don't like is to read an attending/senior resident say in an evaluation of an intern "needs to read more."

Duh.

Everyone, including me, "needs to read more." But, this is internship and folks are otherwise busy. Telling an intern they should read more is not a helpful suggestion.

If the attending means "the intern is an idiot", then it's a useless comment as idiocy is not very fixable.

If it means (and this is most common, IMO) "good resident, I can't figure out what to put in the improvements box of the evaluation" then say something like "no weaknesses identified".

Agreed. I love it when all the "areas for improvement" box on my eval says is "fund of knowledge." That's realllll helpful.