USF COM c/o of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, there's a relatively brand new simulation/clinical skills center that is very nice.

Yay! can you tell me anything more about it? I can't remember if we saw it during the tour or not (everything from those couple months of interviewing is kinda blending together now). From the website I found out you have the patient rooms where they have SP's come in & they can record you, but what about the mannequins? Do you have any of the simulated people that have pulses and breathe and you give them "meds" & they react? etc.

How often as a med student do you get to go there & utilize the center?

...The preclinical years are good, but the clinical years are just awesome. I'm now on a rotation that is teaching me dermatology, orthopaedics, and rheumatology.

Yeah this sounds awesome, cuz I think I want to do sports med (not decided if I wanna go Fam Med route or ortho) but I'm a little concerned that I'd have to wait til 4th yr to do the skin & bones rotation.

I guess that's what is worrying me... not being able to do an elective in the area I'm thinking about for residency BEFORE I have to start applying! But I guess I don't know the whole timeline of things, so maybe you could fill me in on how students decide?

Members don't see this ad.

USF Med Students:

How much do you pay for rent ? Do you have enough money to survive and live in a nice apartment ?

Please discuss the costs of living and how they relate to living near USF or in South Tampa. Is South Tampa worth the extra money ?

Is it worth it to buy a motor cycle just to save gas money ?

I bet a cycle costs $30 a month for gas and a car costs $200 a month in gas. That is a big difference.

Is it improper to buy a motorcycle if you are in med school ? is that like being a doctor and smoking ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it worth it to buy a motor cycle just to save gas money ?

I bet a cycle costs $30 a month for gas and a car costs $200 a month in gas. That is a big difference.

Is it improper to buy a motorcycle if you are in med school ? is that like being a doctor and smoking ?

There's nothing wrong with motorcycles and being a med student or doctor. Several people in my class rode them to school.

Yay! can you tell me anything more about it? I can't remember if we saw it during the tour or not (everything from those couple months of interviewing is kinda blending together now). From the website I found out you have the patient rooms where they have SP's come in & they can record you, but what about the mannequins? Do you have any of the simulated people that have pulses and breathe and you give them "meds" & they react? etc.

How often as a med student do you get to go there & utilize the center?

Yeah this sounds awesome, cuz I think I want to do sports med (not decided if I wanna go Fam Med route or ortho) but I'm a little concerned that I'd have to wait til 4th yr to do the skin & bones rotation.

I guess that's what is worrying me... not being able to do an elective in the area I'm thinking about for residency BEFORE I have to start applying! But I guess I don't know the whole timeline of things, so maybe you could fill me in on how students decide?

You utilize the clinical skills center on a monthly basis. You constantly have physical diagnosis skills sessions where standardize patients with real disease come in for you to examine. For instance, if you're studying the heart you'll see patients with arrhythmias and cool structural abnormalities.

Most students decide during 3rd year after they go through the clerkship. For those fields such as ortho and sports medicine that you don't rotate through as a 3rd year, you have to either be lucky and somehow get early experience (maybe through a preclinical shadowing program) or come into med school knowing about the field. Many of my classmates have said that they would have thought about going into a field that we rotate through as 4th years.

thanks mike :)

also wondering if anyone here went to second look... what did i miss?

USF Med Students:

How much do you pay for rent ? Do you have enough money to survive and live in a nice apartment ?

Please discuss the costs of living and how they relate to living near USF or in South Tampa. Is South Tampa worth the extra money ?

I pay $620/month at Hidden Palms Apartments for a 650sqft single apartment on the third floor, screened-in porch, vaulted ceilings, hookups for washer/dryer, fits a queen-sized bed, walk-in closet, full kitchen/dishwasher/disposal/fridge in an okay area about 20min walk to campus or a 5min drive, just north of campus. The rent is going up to $639/month this summer. I know people pay that much to share nicer double-apartments or more, sometimes less with special deals/knowing someone/sharing more rooms.

North Tampa is less expensive than South Tampa, and doesn't have the young-life amenities that you'll find in South Tampa. But, you are close to school.

I cant wait to quit my job and move to Tampa.

When are all the new med students moving to Tampa ?

Are you guys looking for roommates or are you planning to live alone ?

Are you going to live near Campus or in South Tampa ?

What is the usual dress for M1 & M2 students ?

Can I dress as my usual slovenly self ( shorts and T-shirts ) or do I have to dress up and look more respectable for once in my life ?

What is the usual dress for M1 & M2 students ?

Can I dress as my usual slovenly self ( shorts and T-shirts ) or do I have to dress up and look more respectable for once in my life ?

I dress in shorts and T-shirts everyday, unless we have a patient in class, are examining a real or fake patient in the practice clinic, or it's an LCE day. Of course you should wear "nice" tshirts and shorts, LOL ;)

so I decided to today Im 100% going to USF!!! soo excited.....now Im trying t figure out housing. Does anyone know of any nice apartments that are safe and make an easy commute for med students? Also does anyone know of anywhere I can find people looking for roommates because I def don't want a single room apt? thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I was wonder how functional the gym is? Does it have free weights? Smith Machine? Or is it just a few machines and some tredmills?

so I decided to today Im 100% going to USF!!! soo excited.....now Im trying t figure out housing. Does anyone know of any nice apartments that are safe and make an easy commute for med students? Also does anyone know of anywhere I can find people looking for roommates because I def don't want a single room apt? thanks!:)

Congratulations! As for housing, there has been a lot of discussion previously on this post and also there is a facebook site for the class of 2012 where we have been discussing housing and roommates - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20791190122.

So....with regard to this color printer that USF has wanted previous classes to get...two questions about that.

It was noted several times in the C/O 2011 thread that the printer wasn't really necessary. Those that did purchase it primarily used it to print out lecture slides.

Q1: Are lecture slides separate and distinct from the monster syllabus that contains everything we need to know for a class?

Q2: Assuming you are a person interested in printing out slides, syllabi, whatever, would a black and white printer work nearly as well? Or would I constantly be wondering if that shade of gray was blue venous blood or red arterial blood?

So....with regard to this color printer that USF has wanted previous classes to get...two questions about that.

It was noted several times in the C/O 2011 thread that the printer wasn't really necessary. Those that did purchase it primarily used it to print out lecture slides.

Q1: Are lecture slides separate and distinct from the monster syllabus that contains everything we need to know for a class?

Q2: Assuming you are a person interested in printing out slides, syllabi, whatever, would a black and white printer work nearly as well? Or would I constantly be wondering if that shade of gray was blue venous blood or red arterial blood?

1. Yes
2. Little to no difference if you bought black and white versus color (you could always look at the slide on your PC if you really needed to)

Hey, I was wonder how functional the gym is? Does it have free weights? Smith Machine? Or is it just a few machines and some tredmills?

The gym is a decent size for it just being a med school gym. 3 treadmills, a few bikes, nautilus equipment, and freeweights.

There are some nice apartments just north of campus on BBD. They are called Bristol Place. They are located off of Amberly Drive. Lots of medical students that live close to campus live there. It is about 3-4 miles to campus. There is also a few on the other side of BBD on Amberly - I believe they are called The Hamptons.

The school should also send you a housing guide. You can email student affairs if you are looking for a roommate and they will publish your name in there. There are also graduating medical students and residents that are looking to sell and/or rent their places that will be listed for your convenience. Either which way, you have plenty of time to find somewhere and someone to live with. The class will change quite a bit in the next few weeks. You may want to wait until after May 15th to look for roommates.

Congratulations on your decision to come to USF! :)

1. Yes
2. Little to no difference if you bought black and white versus color (you could always look at the slide on your PC if you really needed to)

I would disagree about the color. I feel that color slides are a must to make it easy to absorb the material. Also, color laser printing has come down a lot in the recent past so printing with laser color really doesn't cost that much.

I have found that I can print with my HP Color LaserJet 1600 (bought for about $150 with rebate) for about $0.06 to $0.10/page-side in full color. I print four slides per page, double-sided, pre-drilled 3-hole paper (8 slides per piece of paper) so that it fits into a 3-ring binder comfortably for each test with enough room to write notes right on the slides. For a typical lecture, you are looking on average about 50 slides per hour. You'll want to, of course, turn off the full-color backgrounds on each slide to conserve color toner. I would recommend using color laser, and NOT color inkjet (which is slower, smudges, and is more expensive in the long run).

So for a week of class, it'd be in the ballpark of about $0.42-$0.70/lecture to print out your notes in full color, which is a bargain in my book.

You might also want to consider getting a Tablet PC and not printing anything out, and just write directly on the slides or in Microsoft OneNote with a digital pen.

I had a quick question about the ranking system for USF - is it entirely based on grades or does it also consist of community service, awards, etc.?

I am a non-traditional student (i.e. older than 25) entering USF this fall, and actually wanted to get a luxury, very nice one-bedroom apartment or so...as much as $900 a month, would you have any recommendations to the nicer apartment complexes around Tampa? Thanks!

I have found that I can print with my HP Color LaserJet 1600 (bought for about $150 with rebate) for about $0.06 to $0.10/page-side in full color.
I saw your post in the C/O 2011 thread about getting that printer for half price. I got in on a similar deal in 2006: I bought the HP LaserJet 3055 for $250 (an all-in-one which stores are still selling for $500 almost two years later). So...it looks like HP offers the 50% rebate at least once a year. I'll keep my eyes peeled and hope the trend continues into 2008.

The gym is awesome; but the kicker is that if there isn't somebody there to work out with you, you can't use the gym alone.

You can't work out alone? Why is that?... do they actually kick you out if you don't have osmeone else in there with you?... I"m not 2 yrs old

You can't work out alone? Why is that?... do they actually kick you out if you don't have osmeone else in there with you?... I"m not 2 yrs old

Liability issue. It was a big deal to get the gym in the first place because the rest of the university wasn't too keen on the idea.

Mike is right, you must have a partner when you work out for liability issues. The main campus has a gym that you can go to without a partner because they have paid staff watching you. Part of the agreement to have a gym that we can access whenever we want was to have a partner at all times. That being said, the gym is attached to the student lounge by glass windows. If someone is in the lounge, they can serve as your partner. It is really just for your own safety. Do I agree that it is a pain in the butt? Absoultely. But the flip side was to not have a gym at all.

The printer issue is really just a matter of personal preference.

Many of my classmates printed out every lecture during the first two years of medical school, myself included. (side note: i just purged all of those binders of paper as I am graduating next week... incredible how many ppt slides we look at in the course of our medical school education!)

Other classmates, who are much quicker at typing than me, would just type notes in the notes section of ppt.

Another sub-set purchased a tablet PC and just wrote all of their notes directly onto ppt.

So it is really up to you and your personal preferences.

I would disagree about the color. I feel that color slides are a must to make it easy to absorb the material. Also, color laser printing has come down a lot in the recent past so printing with laser color really doesn't cost that much.

I have found that I can print with my HP Color LaserJet 1600 (bought for about $150 with rebate) for about $0.06 to $0.10/page-side in full color. I print four slides per page, double-sided, pre-drilled 3-hole paper (8 slides per piece of paper) so that it fits into a 3-ring binder comfortably for each test with enough room to write notes right on the slides. For a typical lecture, you are looking on average about 50 slides per hour. You'll want to, of course, turn off the full-color backgrounds on each slide to conserve color toner. I would recommend using color laser, and NOT color inkjet (which is slower, smudges, and is more expensive in the long run).

So for a week of class, it'd be in the ballpark of about $0.42-$0.70/lecture to print out your notes in full color, which is a bargain in my book.

You might also want to consider getting a Tablet PC and not printing anything out, and just write directly on the slides or in Microsoft OneNote with a digital pen.

I was just wondering where you bought your color printer and if you had any suggestions on the brand?
Thanks so much for your advice. It is helpful b/c I am the type of student that likes to write on printed slides since I have done so througout undergrad.

Thanks and God bless

bwahahahaha. The rest f the university is probably just jealous that they go to all the lengths they do for the med school. :laugh: :laugh:

I have a random question for you. Was the money for Nickels given by private donation for those the Nickels lounge was named for, or was it from the budget money that building for it was funded? Just curious cuz of a previous comment made by someone...not a med student.

The money for Nickels came from COM funds (the same money that paid for the gym) as a part of our reaccreditation process with the LCME. It was named Nickels after Dr. and Mrs. Nicolosi who have provided many, many years of service to the COM. It is in laws somewhere that you can't name a state building after people without significant donations so they shortened the name to "Nickels" to get around that.

Mike is right, you must have a partner when you work out for liability issues. The main campus has a gym that you can go to without a partner because they have paid staff watching you. Part of the agreement to have a gym that we can access whenever we want was to have a partner at all times. That being said, the gym is attached to the student lounge by glass windows. If someone is in the lounge, they can serve as your partner. It is really just for your own safety. Do I agree that it is a pain in the butt? Absoultely. But the flip side was to not have a gym at all.

Great info Noles. By the way, Noles is the main reason the gym exists in the first place so she definitely knows the reasons behind the buddy system. :)

I've been with USF since 2002 and in such a short time is amazing to see how much this school as grown. I hope though that with adding our own hospital we maintain our relationships with the other hospitals in the area.

I hope these crazy budget cuts don't affect USF's growth too much. It would be awesome to have a hospital on the main campus. Dr. Klasko has started a series of blogs on the budget cuts. I am interested to see what he has to say.

I hope these crazy budget cuts don't affect USF's growth too much. It would be awesome to have a hospital on the main campus. Dr. Klasko has started a series of blogs on the budget cuts. I am interested to see what he has to say.

I'd be surprised if there is not a USF hospital on the USF campus within the next decade. Dean Klasko has made this a top priority.

more questions for you USF students/alum:

Are you required to do one or more sub-internships in 4th year? If so, is it in a specific specialties, or do you get to choose?

Also does anyone know if USF is planning any curricular changes? Specifically, I was wondering if they had plans to incorporate an elective into the third year curriculum any time soon.

And how's the class atmosphere? Is everyone friendly? Do most people study on their own, or are there groups who study together? Do people even get to know their classmates (I thought our tour guide said 2/3 of the class skipped lectures)? Do people share study guides and helpful info with each other?

Im a med 1 and was thinking aboyt living at Monticello apts next year, I was wondering if anyone had heard any positives/negatuves about this? I know there are a lot of undergrads but I havent heard of any major problems. Its seems like its a good deal since its walking distance to campus, cheap, and there are individual leases. I thoight the Hamptons looked really nice as well and the price wasnt too bad for a 2 bed/bath but it doesnt include utilities, water, or cable. Does anyone know how much additional this would be? Thanks!:)

I haven't heard much about Monticello but I do know to STAY AWAY FROM AVALON!!!

The closer u are to campus the greater the number of undergrads who see fit to spend their time drinking and generally annoying others. If you pick a place that is build around a pool, be warned of sleepless nights in ur future due to guys who find it fun to get drunk, yell and scream to let everyone know how cool they are because they don't care about other people's sleep.

Fellow MS4.99 from USF here (graduating tomorrow!)...

A nice bonus USF has: They just built a brand spanking new gym right next to the med student lecture halls. It's only for med students and has all the equipment you could ask for - cardio, ellipticals, free weights, nautilus machines. So, right after class (or before if you like getting up early), walk 500ft over to the gym and get your aggressions out!

The amt of free time varies WIDELY. However, I can tell you that during med school I had time to hit the gym a steady 3-5x a week and train for a few marathons/tris. It's do-able.

And how's the class atmosphere? Is everyone friendly? Do most people study on their own, or are there groups who study together? Do people even get to know their classmates (I thought our tour guide said 2/3 of the class skipped lectures)? Do people share study guides and helpful info with each other?

Classes, like all groups of people, vary. You'll find some classes are really tight, share lots of information. Some keep to themselves. Generally at USF, you'll find that all classes are full of good, friendly people of varying types. I've found to like almost everyone in my class, and everyone is willing to help others out from time to time. My class doesn't share class review sheets as much as the second years did, but each year is different. I think next year my class will change as we have already been through a lot together, and will be happy to see each other again when we return in August for the final onslaught of our classroom-bound part of medical school.

I feel that I know about half of my class, which I was surprised that I would since I'm really bad at names. I just went out to lunch with about 8 other people today, and we had a great time. I find that people find their study groups here and there, and even those change over time. I tend to study by myself most of the time, and then get together with various groups before the exam to solidify the material. Each person will find their own way through medical school, which is probably the only consistent thing you can say about all this stuff. Find what works best for you, and you will be trying many different things until you find the right method.

more questions for you USF students/alum:

Are you required to do one or more sub-internships in 4th year? If so, is it in a specific specialties, or do you get to choose?

Also does anyone know if USF is planning any curricular changes? Specifically, I was wondering if they had plans to incorporate an elective into the third year curriculum any time soon.

As of the class of 2009, there is a rewuirement to complete one month of a sub-internship during your fourth year. You must choose from a list of them, but there is a pretty good variety. This change was in response to the class of 2008's sugestion of shortening the critical care rotation from two months to one month.

USF is constantly evaluating their curriculum and making changes based on student and faculty feedback. This does not mean that there are major changes all the time, but the ability to change things is there. There has been no talk of incorporating an elective into the third year curriculum. USF just underwent a huge overhaul of their clinical curriculum two years ago. (Since this change, the step II scores have been the highest in the school's history. The class of 2008 averaged around 237-238 for our scores) You have plenty of time in your fourth year to do electives of your choice. If you are undecided on your career by the beginning of fourth year, then you can front load your schedule with elective time so that you can figure it out.

As a recent (yesterday) graduate of the USF, I can say that the comradery between students is one of USF's greatest attributes. I can whole-heartedly say that I met the most incredible people in my time at USF. I will miss them dearly. My class was very tight-knit. We shared study guides and outlines for almost every exam during the first two years. USF is not graded on a curve. We are graded on a set scale, so the competition between students is not there. Obviously, you are going to have competitive people, but they are not out to sabotage you or your grades. Medical school is filled with type-A competitive personalities, there is not need to foster that environment further. As for studying and getting to know your classmates, that is a personal thing. I went to class and made great friends that I studied with throughout my four years at USF. Even if students don't attend lectures daily, they do attend the mandatory sessions (of which there are at least a few hours per week that you are required to be at school.)

Good luck to you in making your decision on which school to attend. I am sure you will make the right decision for yourself. I can honestly say that I have never, not for one moment, ever second guessed my decision to attend USF. :)

I realize this is a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone else who thinks they are going to USFCOM next year is currently in the Boston area? My school doesn't let out until early June, and, if I could, it would be really great to meet some future classmates before I head down to Florida.

hey everyone, i just thought i'd throw this out there since everyone will be looking for housing soon: if you haven't been living in Tampa then you may not realize that a TON of apartment complexes turned condo, were bought, and now the owners are struggling to sell and are trying to rent their units instead. I used a rental agent and found an ADORABLE townhouse near campus for cheaper than the going rate for apartments. I'm not sure about the rules for posting links to these agents, but pm me if you want the contact info of my guy! Good luck!

Just wanted to know if there are lockers there or any sort of storage area?

From a PM to me I thought I'd share my answer on...

***** said:
Hi ! My name is ***** and I will be an M1 at USF in August. Could you please give me some advice on book buying for the first year of med school. Did you actually purchase all the required/suggested books for school or did you just read/study the slides and lecture materials ?

Can you please tell me what books you used/purchased for anatomy ?

I would be grateful for any input you could give me on book buying so I can save some money.

I purchased a bunch of the books recommended by the school. I am generally the type of person that ALWAYS buys books for class.

After being in medical school for a year, my recommendation is....

!!!!!DON'T BUY ANY BOOKS!!!!!!

The only books you need (IMHO) are...

>Netter's Atlas of Anatomy (or Rhoen's Color Atlas of Anatomy or Gray's Anatomy for Students, just look at them from friends, decide if you need any of these books)
>First Aid for the Boards (kinda an overview book of all subjects covered the first 2 years)
>Various BRS Board Review Books for specific subjects (or review series from other authors)
>Maybe a Neuro book from the professor or other author (difficult subject)

All of the other books are a waste of time unless you are filthy rich and like a library of books or can secure them for cheap/free, or just goto the library if you need to look something up (Google is your friend). You can generally get many books for free or at extremely reduced price from upperclassmen.

It's best to invest your book money ($150-300) into a nice COLOR laser printer (not inkjet), and just print out the slides (4 slides to a page, double-sided, 3-hole pre-punched paper) for about $0.06-$0.10 per side of a page. You are tested off the materials in the PowerPoint slides, and the rest of the material needed is in the Board Review books.

Hey everyone...I am planning on buying a house or a condo in tampa for the next 4 years. I know that in the 3rd and 4th year, you have to make a lot of trips to TGH which is far from campus (btw does anyone know how far tgh and the hopsitals are from the lecture classes?). What do you guys think the best location is to buy a house for for the next 4 years?

Hey everyone...I am planning on buying a house or a condo in tampa for the next 4 years. I know that in the 3rd and 4th year, you have to make a lot of trips to TGH which is far from campus (btw does anyone know how far tgh and the hopsitals are from the lecture classes?). What do you guys think the best location is to buy a house for for the next 4 years? thanks:)

Hey everyone...I am planning on buying a house or a condo in tampa for the next 4 years. I know that in the 3rd and 4th year, you have to make a lot of trips to TGH which is far from campus (btw does anyone know how far tgh and the hopsitals are from the lecture classes?). What do you guys think the best location is to buy a house for for the next 4 years? thanks:)

TGH is a little over 10 miles from the medical school. You are able to request sites for your 3rd year rotations and because I live in North Tampa I ended up only doing maybe 2 months at TGH, the rest being either at Moffitt or the VA. Don't choose to live in South Tampa just because you think you'll have to be there all of the time, which you don't. I was at TGH for 1 month during my 4th year in the NICU at my request. Most of your 4th year is made up electives and interview months, so it's not that big of an issue to travel to TGH if you live in North Tampa.

My parents bought me a condo at the beginning of medical school. My fiancee was in my class and her parents bought her a 4/3 house. We both live in North Tampa, and she lives reeaaaallly north on the border of Hillsborough and Pasco counties on Cross Creek Blvd. If you're looking for a place in North Tampa I probably wouldn't go any further north than I75 on Bruce B Downs Blvd. Buying is a reasonable option especially since the market sucks so bad now. I just couldn't see paying rent since it's basically money down the drain.

I should mention that if you're thinking about staying at USF for residency, buying in South Tampa is a good idea because you'll be at TGH a lot for pretty much all programs. I'm planning on moving down there next year.

TGH is a little over 10 miles from the medical school. You are able to request sites for your 3rd year rotations and because I live in North Tampa I ended up only doing maybe 2 months at TGH, the rest being either at Moffitt or the VA. Don't choose to live in South Tampa just because you think you'll have to be there all of the time, which you don't. I was at TGH for 1 month during my 4th year in the NICU at my request. Most of your 4th year is made up electives and interview months, so it's not that big of an issue to travel to TGH if you live in North Tampa.

My parents bought me a condo at the beginning of medical school. My fiancee was in my class and her parents bought her a 4/3 house. We both live in North Tampa, and she lives reeaaaallly north on the border of Hillsborough and Pasco counties on Cross Creek Blvd. If you're looking for a place in North Tampa I probably wouldn't go any further north than I75 on Bruce B Downs Blvd. Buying is a reasonable option especially since the market sucks so bad now. I just couldn't see paying rent since it's basically money down the drain.

I should mention that if you're thinking about staying at USF for residency, buying in South Tampa is a good idea because you'll be at TGH a lot for pretty much all programs. I'm planning on moving down there next year.

Thanks for your reply! Is south Tampa considered the area near the usf campus? and is motiff and the VA located is a difefrent area than TGH? If so are they closer to the medical school? Sorry, I have no idea where anything really is in Tampa! Thanks for your help!:)