USF COM c/o of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone...I am planning on buying a house or a condo in tampa for the next 4 years. I know that in the 3rd and 4th year, you have to make a lot of trips to TGH which is far from campus (btw does anyone know how far tgh and the hopsitals are from the lecture classes?). What do you guys think the best location is to buy a house for for the next 4 years?

I would highly recommend my complex- Courtney Palms-- it is in East Tampa near Brandon (off of 301, and near I-75, Route 60 and the Selmon Crosstown). There are 7 rising 4th years in the complex, several rising 3rd years. It is 10 minutes from Tampa General and 20 minutes from campus (so no moving between 2 and 3rd year). There is also a fabulous mall within 5 minutes and all the shopping and dining establishments you could want.

Generally, you do not have to make a lot of trips to TGH during the 1st two years. You may need to go there for LCE.

If you buy a condo by school, your commute can be substantially longer because you are going with the traffic into south tampa (instead of going in the opposite direction from rush hour if you live in south or brandon and go to campus). I-275 is a nightmare during rush hour and shoud be avoided whenever possible. Also, Bruce B Downs can be very difficult to navigate during rush hour. One of my good friends lives only 3 miles or so to campus (off of Bruce B Downs) and it often takes her 20-25 minutes to get to campus- no benefit as opposed to where I live.

Members don't see this ad.

what is your thoughts on living in brandon? Also, I thought you lived in Bristol Place and that those were rentable apartments or is it a mix of both?

I live in a condo complex across from Bristol Place. Brandon is a reasonable place to consider because you can hop onto the Selmon Expressway to get to school. It can still be a trek, although the trade off is that it's definitely cheaper to live out there. And yes, the mall is a plus.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in a condo complex across from Bristol Place. Brandon is a reasonable place to consider because you can hop onto the Selmon Expressway to get to school. It can still be a trek, although the trade off is that it's definitely cheaper to live out there. And yes, the mall is a plus.

I don't use the selmon crosstown for school but to get to TGH. To get to school, I use I-75. My normal commute (without any accidents) is 10 minutes to TGH and 20 minutes to campus. The worst I have seen it was an hour to campus because of a bad accident. There are alternative routes though if you know about the accident in advance.

Hey! Does anyone know of any affordable, safe condos or places that are selling in New Tampa where medical students tend to live?

There are LOTS of graduating medical students that are selling their condos and townhouses in New Tampa. The area is really safe. PM if you want more details.

Hey I just wanted to know of where current MS1 and MS2 live and if you would recommend your current apartment complex? Thanks so much for your help and I look forward to meeting all of you in the Fall.

God bless

I have a friend who lives in Wesley chapel who is about to start 3rd year. I was talking to him today about his commute and he brought up a point that I thought relevant. If you are going to live in New Tampa, it is almost better in a way to live in Wesley chapel especially if you are buying and not renting.

Here is the reasoning......

prices are better for housing since its pasco county and not hillsborough, since it is right on the other side of the county line.

The other reason is you don't have to use BBD if you do that cuz you are right near the exit that connects I75 to I275 so you can take it to I275 and take that to Bearrs avenue which saves tons of time as long as traffic is not as bad. I'd imagine it would be better there cuz its an interestate in an area that is not as busy as say fowler, fletcher, brandon area.

I'd also consider Tampa Palms area. I believe Mike has mentioned Bristol Place.

A lot of med students have condos too. If you go a few pages back I'm sure you'll see plenty of past posts from 4th years and 3rd years or now residents and 4th years who've recommended where they live.

The only positive to living in Pasco county is that the county taxes are lower. Living in Wesley Chapel is FAR from school and the hospitals. I have lived in New Tampa for all four years of medical school and my fiancee has living in New Tampa at the Pasco-Hillsborough line as well. She would never recommend someone living that far away from school and the hospitals. BBD is horrible in the morning trying to get past I-75 and don't let anyone lie to you... I-75 and I-275 have horrible traffic as well going south in the AM and north in the PM. Especially during the first two years when you will be traveling to and from school in peak rush hours.

My two cents: If you are going to live in New Tampa, I would not live past the I-75 exit. Pasco county is not recommended. It may work for some people with families, etc. but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

The only positive to living in Pasco county is that the county taxes are lower. Living in Wesley Chapel is FAR from school and the hospitals. I have lived in New Tampa for all four years of medical school and my fiancee has living in New Tampa at the Pasco-Hillsborough line as well. She would never recommend someone living that far away from school and the hospitals. BBD is horrible in the morning trying to get past I-75 and don't let anyone lie to you... I-75 and I-275 have horrible traffic as well going south in the AM and north in the PM. Especially during the first two years when you will be traveling to and from school in peak rush hours.

My two cents: If you are going to live in New Tampa, I would not live past the I-75 exit. Pasco county is not recommended. It may work for some people with families, etc. but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I travel against traffic from brandon with north on I-75 in the AM and south on 75 in the PM. It is really a decent commute (i.e., no longer than 20-25 minutes at the height of rush hour).

I agree with Mike that traveling with traffic on I-75 or 275 is a nightmare. Do NOT buy up in New Tampa or Wesley Chapel unless you are willing to put up with one hell of a commute.

As an undergrad, I've been commuting to and from school 5 days a week. The drive is about an hour, but I've gotten used to it over the course of four years. I'm familiar with the traffic as well as the roads. If I were to consider doing that during the first two years of med school, do you all think that is possible? I know I will be at USF COM and the area just about all day, but that isn't really a problem.

I know that during the clinicals, a lot of rotations take place in TGH, and I would have to get a place before the third year, but I figured - if I can keep costs down by about 25K over the first two years, then it may be worth it.

What do you all think? Would it just be too stressful, and possible impede the studying process? Thanks in advance.

As an undergrad, I've been commuting to and from school 5 days a week. The drive is about an hour, but I've gotten used to it over the course of four years. I'm familiar with the traffic as well as the roads. If I were to consider doing that during the first two years of med school, do you all think that is possible? I know I will be at USF COM and the area just about all day, but that isn't really a problem.

I know that during the clinicals, a lot of rotations take place in TGH, and I would have to get a place before the third year, but I figured - if I can keep costs down by about 25K over the first two years, then it may be worth it.

What do you all think? Would it just be too stressful, and possible impede the studying process? Thanks in advance.

It definitely has been done by others before you, but I sure as heck wouldn't personally do it if I didn't have to. If it's saving you a lot of $, then it's worth thinking about. It can be done.

Hey guys, I just got the call from USF today and I got in from the waitlist, and I am going to be accepting the offer so I will be USF COM c/o 2012 :)

Grats ^_^... hope to see u in the fall

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey class of 2012,

I have a few 1st year books that I used for sale. PM me if you're interested. Thanks.

BRS Physiology 3rd edition (ISBN 0781739195): very little writing and one of the best books for 1st year, $15

Pretest Physical Diagnosis 4th edition (ISBN 0071360980): no writing, $10

Netter's Anatomy Flash Cards (ISBN 1929007086): like new without writing, $15

Welcome USF COM Class of 2012!!

On behalf of 12-PAC, congratulations on you acceptance into the USF COM. We are all very excited to welcome you this coming year, and are here to help in any way we can.

Below is the OFFICIAL link to your very own 12-PAC site, complete with ORDER FORMS for things you'll need your first year, IMPORTANT events and Dates( immunizations, financial aid) and some other helpful information like a HOUSING GUIDE and Survival GUIDE( coming very soon with info about classes, books, noteservice, liaisons etc.)

http://health.usf.edu/medicine/2011/12pac

This website is designed to assist you in acclimating into Tampa and USF COM. We have tried to make it as easy as we could, so we hope that you find this as a benefit to you. Please use it liberally, we have tried to put all important information pertinent to starting school and moving to Tampa etc on it. PLEASE note that deadlines do exist, especially the ORDER FORMS for your scrubs, PD tools, and other fun stuff.

Again, welcome and congratulations, and if there is any question or issue you may have, please don't hesitate to contact any member of 12-PAC, all available on a link on the 12-PAC site above. Thank you very much, and we look forward to meeting each of you.

Sincerely,

12-PAC

University of South Florida, MD Class of 2011

Last edited:
What are the boundaries of "South Tampa"? Can you recommend any affordable apartments in that area? My budget for a 1br is about $700.

Last edited:
What are the boundaries of "South Tampa"? Can you recommend any affordable apartments in that area? My budget for a 1br is about $700.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a 1 bedroom for $700 in South Tampa or North/New Tampa that is in a decent neighborhood. South Tampa is generally much more expensive than North Tampa. If that's your budget I'd consider getting a roommate, in which case you'd be able to find a place for $700. I don't know technically where the border of South and North Tampa is, but I consider it to be generally south of maybe Busch or MLK.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a 1 bedroom for $700 in South Tampa or North/New Tampa that is in a decent neighborhood. South Tampa is generally much more expensive than North Tampa. If that's your budget I'd consider getting a roommate, in which case you'd be able to find a place for $700. I don't know technically where the border of South and North Tampa is, but I consider it to be generally south of maybe Busch or MLK.

Does anyone know more specific borders of South Tampa? Or any areas around there that I should stay away from? I have found some in my price range, but I don't know if it's still in the right area...

Does anyone know more specific borders of South Tampa? Or any areas around there that I should stay away from? I have found some in my price range, but I don't know if it's still in the right area...

South Tampa is bordered by Kennedy on the north, Bayshore on the east, West Shore on the west, and Bay to Bay/maybe Gandy on the south. That is at least the "nice" area of South Tampa. I'd avoid anything north of Kennedy as that area is considered West Tampa.

Are you an incoming first year? unless you are planning on getting a house this is not going to be the best option, esp. seeing as classes are at USF which is 20-30 min. north of the area i which TGH is. I' get an apartment in the beginning area of Tampa palms i.e. Amberly Drive or across the street where Mike's always recommending i.e. Bristol Place.

Otherwise look into places like St. Croix or 46th street.

That's closest to campus. Probably a few good places off of Fletcher or Fowler going towards I75 as well but don't know much about that area.

I want to live closer to all the "action". I'm willing to drive a half hour to school for that.

South Tampa is bordered by Kennedy on the north, Bayshore on the east, West Shore on the west, and Bay to Bay/maybe Gandy on the south. That is at least the "nice" area of South Tampa. I'd avoid anything north of Kennedy as that area is considered West Tampa.

Thanks, very helpful! Include Davis Island?

I'm living in a 650 sqft, single-bedroom apartment just north of USF COM (Hidden Palms) and am paying $630/month + utils. While you can do better in a 2-bedroom with a roomate in terms of cost, it's definitely possible (though, true it is difficult) to find a single-bedroom for less than $700. I'd say my place isn't the greatest, but it's no dump either. Middle of the road, and close to campus. As far as being near any "action", I need to drive a ways to get there, LOL. :)

Hello incoming MS1 students. I'm a current MSIV and I'll be away from Tampa this fall for externships at other hospitals. I have a very nice one bedroom apartment in Tampa Palms off Amberly Drive (south of 75, only several miles from USF) and my place will be available for sublet late July 08 until early November 08 (dates flexible). Rent is $850 including water,sewer, trash and wifi, you pay electric. Pets allowed.

This might be good for someone moving to the area last-minute that wants to check out different locations before buying or signing a long-term lease. Please PM me if interested.

I am so happy, I found a GREAT apt on Davis Island for $700. :soexcited:It took a lot of work, but there are definitely nice apartments in South Tampa for $700 a month. I found one at 1301 South Howard for $695 with granite counter tops, glass top range, 650 sq ft 1/1. And I found a remodeled 1/1 townhouse on Davis Island off Danube, 800+ sq ft for $800, everything brand new (carpet, tile, appliances, walls, bar, chandeliers, etc.) And the Quarter at Ybor for $750. I chose an awesome apartment on Davis Blvd because I loved the neighborhood, the people, and will one day walk to TGH. Check craigslist or PM me if anyone needs any help!

Cool cool. If you live close to TGH then you will most likely get put there for all your rotations cuz they try to match you up either VA or TGH based on where you live, or so I've been told.

Do they give you any choice on your preceptor? It would be great if they were near TGH...

I just got off the waitlist at USF and I debating going there and the Miami-Boca Campus. I had a concern about USF students having to repeat the year. I heard that for the past few years 4-6 have been failed and forced to repeat the year. Is this true?

I just got off the waitlist at USF and I debating going there and the Miami-Boca Campus. I had a concern about USF students having to repeat the year. I heard that for the past few years 4-6 have been failed and forced to repeat the year. Is this true?

Students who repeat part of medical school do so because they showed significant deficiencies in their competency. How would this be different at any other medical school? The vast majority of students have no problems passing and graduating in 4 years. Those who have some problems usually work them out and are MDs in the end.

Students who repeat part of medical school do so because they showed significant deficiencies in their competency. How would this be different at any other medical school? The vast majority of students have no problems passing and graduating in 4 years. Those who have some problems usually work them out and are MDs in the end.

Mike, Can you verify whether it is true that 4-6 people have failed and/or been asked to repeat this year? Obviously, you don't want people who failed classes in medical school to just be passed forward - wouldn't be very good for the healthcare system. My understanding is that at other medical schools, you have the option of remediating classes over the summer, whereas as USF that is only true of one class. If you fail more than one or fail one and pass but only borderline in another, you are asked to resign or repeat the entire year, including the classes you actually passed. I think this is different than other medical schools including U of Miami. I've heard this from a friend who heard from a USF med student - so while it is very detailed, I am wondering if it is true because it's a rather long grapevine.

Mike, Can you verify whether it is true that 4-6 people have failed and/or been asked to repeat this year? Obviously, you don't want people who failed classes in medical school to just be passed forward - wouldn't be very good for the healthcare system. My understanding is that at other medical schools, you have the option of remediating classes over the summer, whereas as USF that is only true of one class. If you fail more than one or fail one and pass but only borderline in another, you are asked to resign or repeat the entire year, including the classes you actually passed. I think this is different than other medical schools including U of Miami. I've heard this from a friend who heard from a USF med student - so while it is very detailed, I am wondering if it is true because it's a rather long grapevine.

Start reading on page 37.

USF Student Handbook

Keep in mind the VAST majority of USF students have no issues with needing to repeat either a single course or an entire year. I would not focus on this at this point in the game and it shouldn't be a factor in where you decide to go to medical school. Remediation is for those who significantly struggle, and I'd bet that 95% of those who struggle that much just don't put enough effort into studying in the first place.

I had another question about printing. In some of the info the incoming M1's received, it says the school is requiring each student to have a laptop, high speed internet access at home, and a color laser printer. The first two are no brainers, but the third is confusing as to why its required. I know it would be more convenient to have a printer at home instead of having to go to the lab everyday, but are they suggesting laser b/c it might be capable of printing more pages per toner cartridge instead of using ink? The cheapest color laser I've found is around $200, but b/w ones aren't too bad, so I guess the biggest question is there anything students would need color copies of or would we be good just buying a b/w printer? Thanks!

I had another question about printing. In some of the info the incoming M1's received, it says the school is requiring each student to have a laptop, high speed internet access at home, and a color laser printer. The first two are no brainers, but the third is confusing as to why its required. I know it would be more convenient to have a printer at home instead of having to go to the lab everyday, but are they suggesting laser b/c it might be capable of printing more pages per toner cartridge instead of using ink? The cheapest color laser I've found is around $200, but b/w ones aren't too bad, so I guess the biggest question is there anything students would need color copies of or would we be good just buying a b/w printer? Thanks!

You don't HAVE to buy a printer. And you don't HAVE to have color. Some people think it's a must, others don't. I think it depends on whether you print the lectures or just make notes on your computer during class. I never printed virtually anything at all so it didn't make a difference whether I had a B&W printer or not.

In fact, it is not the most happening place in Tampa that it is not even located in tampa. Its a small town 50 miles south of Tampa in Manatee County. bwahahaha.

Bradenton is really lame, stupid, and an uncultured place. The indian population is one of the worst I've seen and with the most drama though there are def. some people I like there a lot of people there just generally get on my nerves and have more money and land then they know what to do with. Well the indians anyhow. The american friends and acquaintances I knew from my and my brother's graduating classes in highschool were cool.

No need for insults. Bradenton is not Tampa, plain and simple. I moved to Bradenton from LI, NY about 8 years ago, and it's okay. No it doesn't have the cultural aspects of larger cities, but saying it is uncultured isn't right either. It's a bedroom community and a retirement community as well although we are getting more young families settling in.

Off my soapbox...I just felt that as someone who posts often and gives some real good advice, you should just leave it that you don't like Bradenton and that's that.

Arguing about how good or bad Bradenton frankly is stupid and a waste of everyone else's time to read. Let's just drop it and refocus.

You don't HAVE to buy a printer. And you don't HAVE to have color. Some people think it's a must, others don't. I think it depends on whether you print the lectures or just make notes on your computer during class. I never printed virtually anything at all so it didn't make a difference whether I had a B&W printer or not.

Exactly correct; you don't have to own a printer to get by. I, personally, love having a color printer as I work better with printouts of lectures than reading them on the computer. I find it's easier to get information out of a color printout rather than a B/W printout since much information is color-based.

I would say though, at a minimum, you should have some-kind of printing option at home (whether it's B/W, color laser, inkjet, whatever) so that you can printout the occasional form or document when you are in a rush to get to school, as printing at school can be inconvenient at times especially when things are broken down.

Each person will need to find out what works best for them, ultimately as with everything in medical school with regards to studying style, amount of studying, schedules, etc.

Has everyone taken their computer up to the school? I just moved to Tampa this weekend and didn't realize I missed the deadline! And I'm skeptical of the whole process because of all the people saying it slowed their computer down...

Has everyone taken their computer up to the school? I just moved to Tampa this weekend and didn't realize I missed the deadline! And I'm skeptical of the whole process because of all the people saying it slowed their computer down...
Their website tells you how to do pretty much everything:

How-To-Guide

As far as slowing your computer down...it's my understanding that the culprit was their VPN software - which they no longer use. In fact, it's worth pointing out that you should IGNORE all references to SecuRemote on that HowTo website (guess they don't update their page that often). Follow the directions here for the new VPN config:

Connectra VPN

Antivirus software is another HUGE resource hog...but how you handle that is up to you...

Did everyone here who isn't under their parents' insurance go with USF's? I've heard it's :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:, and I'm thinking of going with AMSA's option 2. Anyone else?

Did everyone here who isn't under their parents' insurance go with USF's? I've heard it's :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:, and I'm thinking of going with AMSA's option 2. Anyone else?

You're right, USF's insurance is pretty bad.

I just wanted to let anyone who is thinking about AMSA's insurance to know they should think again. My only claim (after paying 2G for this plan) was denied. It is a totally legit problem that anyone might have and the narrow window of eligibility of benefits is ridiculous. In order to get my claim paid, the cause had to be X or Y only. Doesn't change the problem, just how it came about. It is just like that commercial where you can't get your car fixed because a ficus tree fell on the car and ficus trees aren't covered. If it was caused by an oak tree, they would pay. The cause doesn't change the care what so ever. It doesn't have anything to do with my care or treatment. My loan money is now flying out the window. BEWARE!!