USF DPT class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Austin Calantoni

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just wanted to create a thread for the USF DPT class of 2017 admission decisions. I was currently accepted as an alternate. It sucks and I hope a position opens up, but I'm okay with it! Let me know if any of you have been accepted, rejected, plan to reject acceptance etc. This is a good place to meet people and discuss any question we have!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! Just wanted to create a thread for the USF DPT class of 2017 admission decisions. I was currently accepted as an alternate. It sucks and I hope a position opens up, but I'm okay with it! Let me know if any of you have been accepted, rejected, plan to reject acceptance etc. This is a good place to meet people and discuss any question we have!

I applied to USF, but haven't heard anything yet. How did you find out that you were an alternate?

I applied to USF, but haven't heard anything yet. How did you find out that you were an alternate?
I got a certified letter in the mail I had to sign for. I live in clearwater so it's not that far away. My letter was dated Jan 28th so everyone should be hearing soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a certified letter in the mail I had to sign for. I live in clearwater so it's not that far away. My letter was dated Jan 28th so everyone should be hearing soon!

Thanks and good luck to you!

Letter of acceptance came in today! Was dated January 27th.

Thanks! I got into Nova so thats all set to go, UNLESS I get into USF which I will then go there for sure instead :)

Why USF over Nova? Just wondering because I guess I should be getting my decision for USF soon. I was also all set for Nova but live in St. Pete, so it would be an easier transition.

Why USF over Nova? Just wondering because I guess I should be getting my decision for USF soon. I was also all set for Nova but live in St. Pete, so it would be an easier transition.

I live in Clearwater so it's close, it's cheaper, I know people in the area, I've talked to current students and despite a couple negative reviews I've heard every single student I talked to only had positive things to say about the school. One girl said the first couple semesters are hard but everyone works together to get through it. She also said that the professors were extremely helpful and that the campus isn't as pretty as Nova but they have great facilities. For the most part its the price really. I went to an out-of-state undergrad so I want to save as much money as possible fore grad school.

I live in Clearwater so it's close, it's cheaper, I know people in the area, I've talked to current students and despite a couple negative reviews I've heard every single student I talked to only had positive things to say about the school. One girl said the first couple semesters are hard but everyone works together to get through it. She also said that the professors were extremely helpful and that the campus isn't as pretty as Nova but they have great facilities. For the most part its the price really. I went to an out-of-state undergrad so I want to save as much money as possible fore grad school.

Yeah it is much cheaper! And living in the area is really ridiculously cheap, like $600 for a one bedroom apartment! Even cheaper with roommates. I guess you probably know that, living in Clearwater and all haha. I'll definitely have a lot of thinking to do if I get in!

I saw your stats from the nova thread, I'd be shocked if you didn't get in. I'm just hoping a spot opens up for me as an alternate!

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw your stats from the nova thread, I'd be shocked if you didn't get in. I'm just hoping a spot opens up for me as an alternate!

Well if I get in and decide not to go I'll make sure to decline ASAP and cross my fingers for you. I want to live in South Florida after school so I'll probably wind up at Nova anyway. Good luck!

Yeah it is much cheaper! And living in the area is really ridiculously cheap, like $600 for a one bedroom apartment! Even cheaper with roommates. I guess you probably know that, living in Clearwater and all haha. I'll definitely have a lot of thinking to do if I get in!

Also, are you on the Nova fb page?

Just got my acceptance as well!!

As of now yes, but if I get into UF I would rather attend UF. Hoping to hear back from them soon too

I also got the letter today, and I was chosen as an alternate. I'm still waiting to hear back from the other three the schools I applied to, so this is good news for me! Congrats to everyone who was accepted!!!

Despite a 3.95 prerequisite GPA and 3.9 overall, great LORs (I saw them) including one from a well known USF prof, and 500 hours in 8 places... USF rejected me! Sooo numbers aren't everything, y'all. They definitely want something else.

Good luck!!

Despite a 3.95 prerequisite GPA and 3.9 overall, great LORs (I saw them) including one from a well known USF prof, and 500 hours in 8 places... USF rejected me! Sooo numbers aren't everything, y'all. They definitely want something else.

Good luck!!

Wow, those are high GPA's. I applied to USF, but haven't heard from them yet. My GPA's are not near as high. Did you email them about your status or did they send you a letter? You should get in somewhere with those grades!!

Is USF sending out acceptance and alternate letters only? Or do you think they are aslo sending letters out to candidates that got rejected? I haven't received anything and I live in Florida, so I wasn't sure what that meant.....just getting antsy!

Wow, those are high GPA's. I applied to USF, but haven't heard from them yet. My GPA's are not near as high. Did you email them about your status or did they send you a letter? You should get in somewhere with those grades!!

Thanks! I've been accepted to other schools, and usf was actually my last choice, I just thought it was interesting. I also applied to FIU and haven't heard a thing, maybe there's something about my application that public schools/research schools don't like? I've never done research so maybe that's it... Who knows! Anyways just wanted to post so people know USF is soooo not all about the numbers! I've even taken lots of rigorous science classes with A's and A+'s! And supposedly usf likes that.

Oh and they sent a letter, regular mail.

Thanks! I've been accepted to other schools, and usf was actually my last choice, I just thought it was interesting. I also applied to FIU and haven't heard a thing, maybe there's something about my application that public schools/research schools don't like? I've never done research so maybe that's it... Who knows! Anyways just wanted to post so people know USF is soooo not all about the numbers! I've even taken lots of rigorous science classes with A's and A+'s! And supposedly usf likes that.

Oh and they sent a letter, regular mail.
Crazy I don't nearly have those stats and I have and interview at FIU. I know that's off topic here but man this whole process is baffling!

Good luck!!

I know on ptcas there is an option to see your LOR's before they are sent out, is that where you saw them?

I believe that USF looks for candidates who are well-rounded. I received my letter of acceptance on Thursday and did not have the best stats, but I believe that I had a good balance of everything. Congrats on everyone who has been accepted and still has interviews at other schools!

I know on ptcas there is an option to see your LOR's before they are sent out, is that where you saw them?

All of my recommenders showed them to me, I am pretty close to all 3 of them.

I believe that USF looks for candidates who are well-rounded. I received my letter of acceptance on Thursday and did not have the best stats, but I believe that I had a good balance of everything. Congrats on everyone who has been accepted and still has interviews at other schools!

I think I definitely had an above average balance of everything as well, including being non-trad and having significant, healthcare related, professional experience. Just sayin, I don't think just being well rounded is what's driving their decisions, something else seems to be a priority for them.

Anyone know if they sent out all The letters on the 27th-28th. Still waiting on mine

Hello all I was put on the wait-list as well for USF, I am wondering how many spots generally get taken in from the wait-list? And in response to DPTStudent20, would you mind sharing your stats with us?

Has anyone from out of state received their letters? I am in no way expecting even a waitlist position (should not have applied given my stats) but it always good to have closure!

Has anyone from out of state received their letters? I am in no way expecting even a waitlist position (should not have applied given my stats) but it always good to have closure!

I'm from in state, and got my letter of rejection on Saturday.

From what I understand you should know if you are on the wait-list very very soon, because the letters were dated Jan 28th and you only have 10 days to respond with your answer or you forfeit your spot. Which leads me to my second point for all the wait-listers, second round of acceptances should be coming out shortly after this 10 days are up so Im guessing about 2 weeks into February we will know more information. Hope this helps some of you guys ease your nerves. I know i am on edge waiting!! Best of luck to all!

For you out of staters I received my rejection letter today so you should be receiving news soon!

For you out of staters I received my rejection letter today so you should be receiving news soon!
Sorry to hear that. Hope your other admissions go well! Best of luck!

I just found out I got accepted to the program! I'm from Pennsylvania not familiar with the program so I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about it besides whats on the website. Thanks!

I also got accepted! Does anyone know how this program compares to UNF or if the students like it?

To those who were rejected, did you have to sign for the letter? And was a a letter or a package?

Last edited:

Good luck!!

Sorry to hear that. Who know's what they are looking for at this point!

I also got accepted! Does anyone know how this program compares to UNF or if the students like it?

I talked to a couple students in the program currently. This is what they told me: The first year is very tough because they require you to take a few classes with the med students. If you don't have an organic chem or biochem backgroud apparently it's pretty tough, BUT everyone I've talked to said that they've gotten through it you just have to put your mind to it. I know it seems weird to have to have some sort of organic or biochem background but one girl said some of the med students didn't even remember any of that stuff so it was just as hard for them as it was for the PT students. If compared to UNF or UF or any other schools I really haven't taken a look into any of that stuff.

I just found out I got accepted to the program! I'm from Pennsylvania not familiar with the program so I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about it besides whats on the website. Thanks!
Congrats to all those accepted!

Sorry to be posting so much but I just wanted to inform everyone who is placed on the waiting list as an alternate. I talked to Matt Smith and he said that the order of the list is based on GPA. The higher the Gpa you have the higher you are on the list. hope this helps

Sorry to be posting so much but I just wanted to inform everyone who is placed on the waiting list as an alternate. I talked to Matt Smith and he said that the order of the list is based on GPA. The higher the Gpa you have the higher you are on the list. hope this helps

I got placed on the waiting list, but did he mention whether it was based on overall GPA or program-specific prereq GPA?