Usf ims 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Want2knowitall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Is anybody applying to this program this year? Also, has anybody, who is finishing up the program, got into USF MCOM? Would you mind sharing your stats?

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone could distinguish between the IMS program at USF and Pre-Professional Medical Science Master’s Degree.

The IMS program is about 15 people who take classes along with the USF MCOM students. It's slightly more difficult to get into and you'll definitely need to apply early for it. From what I hear, as long as you do well in the IMS program, you stand a good chance at getting into USF MCOM. I couldn't give you an exact number of IMS students who get in after they finish the program but I would say that as long as you do well, you have a great chance at getting in.

The MSMS is not a good program, I would highly suggest looking at other SMP's if you can afford to.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I completed the IMS program and was just admitted to USF MCOM. Good luck to everyone applying! It's an amazing program!

I graduated from the Master's in Medical Sciences program this summer and was accepted at USF COM last month. I also highly recommend it to those who are interested :)

I think general grad school cred hour cost is the same as IMS. At least that is what I got from the IMS website: courses are considered graduate hence they charge the same rate. Perhaps a quick call to the OSDE would be helpful :)

The thread does not seem popular, but has anybody been marked complete?

Where would I find out if I have been marked complete? I emailed Shaterra White last week to verify of all my information has been received (transcripts and LORs), but have not heard back from her.

Hello @WannaBePedOnc

I am in a similar situation. Let me know if you hear anything and I shall let you know in case I hear back first.

Cheers

I just mailed my application today. Does anyone here know whether I have a good chance for the pre professional program based of my stats?

Illinois resident
sGPA:3.5
GPA from university awarding the degree 4.0
MCAT 23
I also have hospital volunteering and school tutoring

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@WannaBePedOnc and @Want2knowitall I'm in a similar boat as you two. Sent an e-mail earlier this week requiring a response before the priority deadline tomorrow. Needless to say I have not heard back, nor been marked complete. Any progress for you guys?

Any other students who have been admitted from the MSMS program? 10 student addmitted out of 250 seems ridiculously low.

Once it says survey completed, does that mean our secondary application is in? Also is this program only for disadvantaged students? Good luck to everyone

@iRezaDH I have heard of someone with similar stats to you. However, the aforementioned person had a very extensive experience in the medical field working in doc's office.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I'm currently in IMS and if you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me!

The IMS program is about 15 people who take classes along with the USF MCOM students. It's slightly more difficult to get into and you'll definitely need to apply early for it. From what I hear, as long as you do well in the IMS program, you stand a good chance at getting into USF MCOM. I couldn't give you an exact number of IMS students who get in after they finish the program but I would say that as long as you do well, you have a great chance at getting in.

I'm in the MSMS (Masters in Medical Sciences) pre-professional program. There's about 250 +/- students in this program. From what I heard from the students last year, about 10-15 were accepted to USF MCOM immediately after finishing the program. As far as getting accepted the year after you finish, when you have the final transcripts to show how you did in the program, I couldn't tell you how many have gotten in since the advisor doesn't keep those statistics for some reason.

The IMS program is based on the USF MCOM curriculum, which I believe is an integrated systems approach with block scheduling. Since they take classes with the med students, their performance is graded based on how they compare to the med school class.

The MSMS program is not systems based and the classes are 2-5pm, M-R. The material we cover is broader than that of the IMS students. We cover the first 2 years of the average med school curriculum based on subjects, not systems. However, despite the vast amount of information we learn, we do not necessarily go into as much detail as the IMS students. (This is just anecdotal, but many IMS and USF MCOM students have said that the MSMS students study more than they (the IMS and med students) do.) Our classes this semester are Anatomy, Biochemistry, Genetics and Immunology/Microbiology. Next semester is Neurology, Physiology, Pharmacology and Histology. You also have the option of taking an MCAT prep course worth 2 credits in the MSMS program.

The MSMS is a good program, much like I'd imagine most other SMP's are, but as you may imagine with a class of 250, the advising is sub-par.

With the IMS, however, I believe you will get much more attention from advisors of the program, as well as professors from USF MCOM and likely even the admissions committee while you are there. (This is just speculation though)

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Great description! One caveat is that IMS students aren't treated any differently from other applicants during admissions into USF MCOM.

I think general grad school cred hour cost is the same as IMS. At least that is what I got from the IMS website: courses are considered graduate hence they charge the same rate. Perhaps a quick call to the OSDE would be helpful :)

Yup! One of the cheapest SMPs around for FL residents.

@Dhally yes, at least that's what I hope.

Yeah, as long as you turned everything in you should be fine. They're closed on the weekends but be sure to give them a call on Monday. Also, IMS tends to have a diverse class so it isn't specifically aimed for disadvantaged students, just they are encouraged to apply.

This is a different program than MSMS. This one admits only 15-20.

I believe the hard cutoff next year is 15 students and will probably stay that way in the foreseeable future.

@darkstars Thank you for clarifying everything.
We have been emailing instead of calling. I have been discouraged from calling several times, because the office prefers to have a record of correspondence.

@darkstars Thank you for clarifying everything.
We have been emailing instead of calling. I have been discouraged from calling several times, because the office prefers to have a record of correspondence.

Well as long as you get a response, you should be fine then. I applied close to the deadline as well and it worked out.

I strongly encourage everyone to give Ms White a call, because there could be an honest mistake. One of my professors sent a letter during the first half of February and I have a feeling his letter is lost somewhere or he sent it to grad school email instead of OSDE. Thankfully I called.

If you have any doubts, make sure you call this week.

Cheers

I still have not received the application completion confirmation email. The last known outstanding item was a missing LOR. I called this morning and they confirmed it was on file.

Is it still worth sending in my secondary now that the priority deadline passed?

Is it still worth sending in my secondary now that the priority deadline passed?
I think it's worthwhile sending it, but be aware they are pretty strict about the deadline. So while I'm sure they will consider you, I think it will be after they have looked at and decided on everyone who applied before the deadline.

At least, that's the impression I got based on their sense of urgency of getting it in before the deadline.

Reactions: 1 users
is it too late to apply?

edit: nvm i think its too late

You have no chance of getting in if you don't apply. You have some chance of getting in if you apply now (aka late). That's $30 for a shot. It's up to you to take it or not.

The program does rolling admissions after March 1st applications.

They'll also hand your application to the other masters program if you're not accepted into IMS.

You have no chance of getting in if you don't apply. You have some chance of getting in if you apply now (aka late). That's $30 for a shot. It's up to you to take it or not.

The program does rolling admissions after March 1st applications.

ok so there is still time. the info on the website was confusing. i am gonna give it a shot.

I wonder if we start hearing back by the end of this week. Would be awesome.

Looking at the previous threads, it looks like everyone hears in April?

I emailed Ms. White about notification timeline and she responded that "all applicants will be notified of their acceptance or denial by the second week in April." At worst we have approximately 3 weeks of waiting.

i applied like 2 days ago. i thought there was still time? i still haven't gotten the link to the supplement application.

i wish i knew about the program before.

There is no deadline, but they are currently evaluating the early group, so there may be a delay. They use an anonymous survey tool to submit all documents, which means you could probably PM someone for the link if you can't wait.

Though, until mid-April, I doubt they will look at your application anyway.

I am trying to apply now but when I click on applying for the summer 2014 term at the tampa campus, it says "there are no programs available at this time." I click on fall 2014 and the program comes up. Is anyone else running into this problem?

I am trying to apply now but when I click on applying for the summer 2014 term at the tampa campus, it says "there are no programs available at this time." I click on fall 2014 and the program comes up. Is anyone else running into this problem?

I would send them an email, but I'm sure they're overwhelmed with applications currently so it may be on the late side.

Try calling the grad office, not IMS (they are most likely too busy with apps as @darkstars mentioned). Tell them about the problem you are running into.
@QnnaQ IMS sends the link and explanations about 5 days after you submit the application.

Try calling the grad office, not IMS (they are most likely too busy with apps as @darkstars mentioned). Tell them about the problem you are running into.
@QnnaQ IMS sends the link and explanations about 5 days after you submit the application.

I just got the secondary information with a warning in big red text that only fill it out if I am interested in the pre professional masters program.

If I am not interested in the pre professional masters program should i bother filling it out?

I just got the secondary information with a warning in big red text that only fill it out if I am interested in the pre professional masters program.

If I am not interested in the pre professional masters program should i bother filling it out?
o_O What...? I don't even... Oh man, that's hilarious.

Okay, sorry, had to laugh. I know this is a sensitive process, but it's still funny. =) If you are not interested, don't fill it out. The survey where you "submit" all your information won't give you the opportunity to upload if you answer no anyway.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: if you have an AMCAS, your life is 100x easier. Follow the directions. I know there's a lot of "If this then that," but just give it a quick read through and you're good to go.

o_O What...? I don't even... Oh man, that's hilarious.

Okay, sorry, had to laugh. I know this is a sensitive process, but it's still funny. =) If you are not interested, don't fill it out. The survey where you "submit" all your information won't give you the opportunity to upload if you answer no anyway.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: if you have an AMCAS, your life is 100x easier. Follow the directions. I know there's a lot of "If this then that," but just give it a quick read through and you're good to go.

i think if they dont consider applications for the IMS program after the deadline they should close the application and not leave it open. Very misleading. The website says its rolling after the deadline but the email pretty much implied that its too late for IMS.

edit: i know AMCAS makes it easier.
but its gonna cost me money to send in official transcript.

Last edited:
i think if they dont consider applications for the IMS program after the deadline they should close the application and not leave it open. Very misleading. The website says its rolling after the deadline but the email pretty much implied that its too late for IMS.

edit: i know AMCAS makes it easier.
but its gonna cost me money to send in official transcript.
I got the same email. There's no indication that it's too late. They haven't even released priority decisions. You could just email or call Ms. Shaterra White to confirm. They are uber-friendly

Hello,

I just went through the email for IMS secondary application. I didn't locate such red text. I can't recall if I saw it in the survey.
It took me a while to fill out my paperwork. I would, however, recommend that you submit everything ASAP. Even if they do not consider you until they announce acceptance/denial of those who submitted by priority deadline, they will have your application handy if there are empty spots.

Does anyone have an idea as to what possible day, next week, will decisions be sent out?

Does anyone have an idea as to what possible day, next week, will decisions be sent out?
I am waiting till Friday to call and ask. Ms White mentioned that answers would be out by second week in April. So, my assumption was that we should hear this week?

Isn't this the first week of April?

If English is not your first language, you shouldn't be quick to anger. I had no attitude, I was confused by your post.

Reactions: 1 users