USF MMS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Kind of worried now that I haven't heard anything back yet. I just wish I could hear some kind of news so I can make plans moving forward. I called on Thursday and the person I spoke to told me if I haven't heard anything back, it's because they haven't made a decision on my application yet. If I am accepted or rejected, I'll receive an email.

Tuesday will mark 9 weeks that they've had my application and I feel the same way you do; I just want to know something so that I can plan for the future. You're not alone!

Members don't see this ad.

When were you accepted and when was your application considered complete? If you don't mind my asking, why did you choose not to accept?
I was accepted a little over a week ago, and have been going back and forth on deciding to attend the program or not because I was also accepted into a Masters program at UF. Ultimately, I'm planning on pursuing a Masters degree there instead of the USF MSMS. My application was marked complete around June 7th, so it took about 4 weeks to hear back from them. I believe one of the things I did that helped me was retaking the GRE (and scoring higher obviously) and have those scores updated on my application. When they update my application with new information, it kind of nudges the admissions committee to take a look at my application again. Remember they look at tons of applications so it's easy for your application to get lost in the bunch. When they look at my application, I was hoping they would look at my improved score as a sign of motivation of getting into the program, and a week later I received the email of acceptance. This is all speculation, but I truly believe that getting them to notice my application again played a big factor. My overall stats aren't very great compared to other applicants, however they all show a significant upward trend. Don't lose hope yet guys! There's probably people like me out there who were accepted but plan on relinquishing their seat. My advice is to try to find a way to have them look at your application again and show them your perseverance in getting into the program. Good luck!

Last edited:
Tuesday will mark 9 weeks that they've had my application and I feel the same way you do; I just want to know something so that I can plan for the future. You're not alone!
My friend with a lower sgpa/cgpa than me, and the minimum gre score was accepted last week. I think what is holding me back is my MCAT score. Unfortunately, I bombed the exam. But I submitted my application anyway because everything else was fine. So I'm not really sure what's going on. I called Thursday and asked to be considered for a 3rd concentration. This waiting game is killing me though. I hope we hear back very soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend with a lower sgpa/cgpa than me, and the minimum gre score was accepted last week. I think what is holding me back is my MCAT score. Unfortunately, I bombed the exam. But I submitted my application anyway because everything else was fine. So I'm not really sure what's going on. I called Thursday and asked to be considered for a 3rd concentration. This waiting game is killing me though. I hope we hear back very soon!

What three concentrations are you being considered for?

Any reason to go along with it or just the generic "We regret to inform you..blah blah blah"?
the classic "we regret to inform you." And then recommended applying to a certificate program. My friend was complete June 5th, same day as me and applied to 3 concentrations. So i guess if we haven't received an email yet there's still hope...

the classic "we regret to inform you." And then recommended applying to a certificate program. My friend was complete June 5th, same day as me and applied to 3 concentrations. So i guess if we haven't received an email yet there's still hope...

That's what I'm trying to tell myself, but now I'm just bracing for the bad news to come to my inbox.

Has anyone heard any news?
I just emailed the director of the anatomy concentration since I've heard that she responds quickly. I just expressed that I'm worried since I'd have to make moving arrangements, and I wanted to make sure my application wasn't lost.

I just emailed the director of the anatomy concentration since I've heard that she responds quickly. I just expressed that I'm worried since I'd have to make moving arrangements, and I wanted to make sure my application wasn't lost.

Please keep me/us all posted if you hear anything back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please keep me/us all posted if you hear anything back.
She emailed me back within an hour! I was accepted to the anatomy track but haven't received an email because I'm still being reviewed the MSP3. I suggest emailing her!

Reactions: 1 user
I had submitted an application prior to the extended July 1st deadline. But I wasn't marked complete since I only took the GRE on July 7th. My scores were reported as per ETS on July 19th, but I never received an application status update. So I emailed yesterday July23rd and received an email this morning from Ms. Boyko that the application was marked complete. Heard back a few hours later that my application has been recommended for admission. It was in my spam folder, so make sure to check there as well!

I got an email saying that I was not recommended admissions to the pre professional but they did recommend my application for admission to the Anatomy Concentration.
I am so confused. Does anybody know exactly what this means?

Well I was told that my application had been recommended for admission by the department and just waiting to hear back from Graduate Admissions for a final official decision. I don't want to get to excited hearing that I've been recommended by the department because I'm not sure what that means. Anybody have any idea or heard that before?
Did you ever figure out what this meant and whether or not you were accepted. I'm in the same boat here.

Did you ever figure out what this meant and whether or not you were accepted. I'm in the same boat here.

From what I've read of other's experiences it sounds like you have been accepted into the anatomy concentration. If that is the case, congratulations!

Just wondering... Can anybody view the files on Canvas? I get a message every time one is uploaded but I can't manage to view them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just wondering... Can anybody view the files on Canvas? I get a message every time one is uploaded but I can't manage to view them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I can't see them either. They probably locked the pages until classes/orientation.

So just to be clear: classes are not shared with medical students anymore?

I don't think they ever were...there's another program called the Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences program that is like a more conventional SMP, but its only for URM and you have to be invited to it

I don't think they ever were...there's another program called the Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences program that is like a more conventional SMP, but its only for URM and you have to be invited to it
Current IMS student. Because the university no longer guarantees admission after meeting certain guidelines, it is not an invite-only application. In fact, I think they are looking to increase applicants to get a more robust class next year.

Current IMS student. Because the university no longer guarantees admission after meeting certain guidelines, it is not an invite-only application. In fact, I think they are looking to increase applicants to get a more robust class next year.

Really? You're sure you're talking about IMS and not MSP3, right?

Wow. Seems like MSP3 is more complete in terms of prepping you for professional school IMO. IMS just covers A/P and maybe histology/pathology. In MSP3 you learn cancer bio, pharmacology, embryology, etc.
Would disagree here. IMS has you taking the entire first year medical curriculum, which has cancer bio in the first block, pharm and embryology throughout. I'm not sure what better prep there is than taking the courses for which you are prepping. For the same reasons, the forum has SMPs as a plan A if you think you can do well.

On the other hand, if you sincerely don't think you are ready for medical school rigor, then MSP3 will be better suited to gear you up for that.

Would disagree here. IMS has you taking the entire first year medical curriculum, which has cancer bio in the first block, pharm and embryology throughout. I'm not sure what better prep there is than taking the courses for which you are prepping. For the same reasons, the forum has SMPs as a plan A if you think you can do well.

On the other hand, if you sincerely don't think you are ready for medical school rigor, then MSP3 will be better suited to gear you up for that.
Also would note, the program director said there is a 90+% acceptance rate to professional school, not including the linkage years.

Also would note, the program director said there is a 90+% acceptance rate to professional school, not including the linkage years.

Fair enough. But, having completed the MSP3 program, I can say with confidence (and the professors can corroborate this) that many of our lectures are the same lectures that are given to medical students, slide for slide. So, MSP3 will prepare you for medical school at USF without question. There is response bias in that 90% figure as its 90% of people WHO RESPOND to their survey who have gotten into PROFESSIONAL school (not just medical school but podiatry, nursing, etc. as well)

I'm currently in the final semester of this program and would love to provide insight to whomever desires it. Feel free to pm me or reply to this thread in case others have similar questions.
How did you like it? class load, professors, campus? did it better prepare you for the MCAT?

Reactions: 1 user
Application complete: 4/27
Accepted: 4/30

314 GRE
3.4 sgpa
3.3 cgpa
2 great rec letters
2 research positions
1 surgical clinical internship

Can’t wait !

Can anyone touch on their succes of getting into medical school following this program? Also, how would you rank the difficulty, exposure to research/shadowing/MCAT prep that is advertised....

Appreciate the feedback

How did you like it? class load, professors, campus? did it better prepare you for the MCAT?

Sorry for late reply.

Classload: In the fall, the program doesn’t seem so bad. But things really get kicked up a notch in terms of difficulty in the spring. You have 4 classes each semester (only 3 in the summer) but the ones in spring are much harder than in Fall.

Professors are great and like to teach. No complaints at all in that department.

Campus: utilize the GL and you’ll have a good time. I never went to lecture, just watched them on panopto

MCAT: yea I’d say so. Because of the program, I didn’t have to study for the bio section and was able to score 515+

Can anyone touch on their succes of getting into medical school following this program? Also, how would you rank the difficulty, exposure to research/shadowing/MCAT prep that is advertised....

Appreciate the feedback

I’d give the program 7/10 in terms of difficulty. But there’s no exposure to research or shadowing unless you seek it out yourself. The opportunities are there, but they aren’t presented to you in a preplanned way or anything.

Most people who do well in this program will be able to get into a DO school. I know some people who got accepted to MD schools as well, but I’m not sure if they needed this masters to help them in the first place

Appreciate the feedback
I'll comment on professors. I am half and half with the professors in this program. Some don't seem like they care all that much while some do. Fall semester you deal, but this past spring semester was pretty awful. I can't comment on summer professors.

Courseload is always difficult (it mimics med school) so stay on top of things, but otherwise the program isn't that difficult. Exams don't seem to test on understanding, moreso on regurgitation. If you need a somewhat easy grade booster, this is the program for you.

I'll comment on professors. I am half and half with the professors in this program. Some don't seem like they care all that much while some do. Fall semester you deal, but this past spring semester was pretty awful. I can't comment on summer professors.

Courseload is always difficult (it mimics med school) so stay on top of things, but otherwise the program isn't that difficult. Exams don't seem to test on understanding, moreso on regurgitation. If you need a somewhat easy grade booster, this is the program for you.

Saw your accepted into DO school? You mind sharing where and if you applied to any MD schools?

Saw your accepted into DO school? You mind sharing where and if you applied to any MD schools?
Message me for specifics but I was accepted to a DO school out west. No, I did not apply to MD because I am set on the primary care route and I felt that DO was the best option for me. :)