USF SELECT vs. Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted848116

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! So I am debating between three schools at the moment. I am currently on the waitlist for Wayne State, but on the chance I do get accepted, I want to be able to have a solid idea of what would be the better place to attend.

I am also interested in Anesthesiology, General-Surgery, and Surgery subspecialties (Ortho, plastics, cardiothoracic, etc.). Would also prefer to match somewhere outside of Michigan and an academic setting, but not necessary.

USF (SELECT)

Pro:
-Warm weather (Tampa, FL)
-Finished up a new building in Downtown Tampa so that's a plus
-Climbing the rankings (#47 in research I believe)
-Seems like rotation opportunities would be nice at the Lehigh Valley health network
-I think they may have more research opportunities than Wayne (but idk for sure), especially when researchers start moving into the new building. (more research funding)
-Leadership training (an aspect of the curriculum that really interests me)

Cons:
-OOS ($16K more per year vs. Wayne)
-Graded scale instead of P/F
-Don't seem to have many matches in Anesthesiology or speciality surgery but do have many general surgery matches
-No MS1 summer (SELECT has a summer immersion experience)
-Moving from Tampa to Lehigh after MS2 may be a temporary struggle

Wayne State

Pro:
-IS ($16K less per year than USF)
-Lots of home residency programs (I think)
-Close to home (but not biggest priority)
-P/F curriculum
-Seems to have a good match rate in all the specialities I am interested in

Cons:
-Rotation programs are in competition with other Michigan schools
-Large class size
-I think there are issues with administration (?)
-Lower ranked (#70)
-Old facilities

Not a thorough Pros/Cons list, so anyone, please chip in about more information about the schools thank you 🙂

Summary: I really liked USF and its vibe during interview day, but I also realize cheaper in-state tuition from Wayne State is pretty important.
 
Last edited by a moderator: