USF vs LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oakley2024

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping someone familiar could give me a little insight. I am trying to decide between University of South Florida or LECOM Bradenton. I have been accepted into both, so any information from current or past students would be appreciated. I am an out of state student so I don't have the benefit of USF's cheaper tuition, however if it comes down to it might try leveraging getting some of my out of state fees waived. Has anyone had success or have any tips for negotiating out of state fees down? Thanks in advance. Any information on Larkin or UF's Orlando campus would be greatly appreciated as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's a decision between an MD program versus a DO program. I recommend figuring out which degree you prefer. I personally loved USF and do not have anything bad to say about the school but that was many years ago.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Larkin had their first graduates in 2019 and their NAPLEX pass rate was less than 60% per NABP (and worse MPJE pass rate). It is a new school with poor performance so enough reason to avoid.

Here is a NAPLEX comparison that must be considered:

2019 NAPLEX Results

MPJE Pass rates for each school to be considered:

2019 MPJE Passing Rates

You claim tuition is a wash, but no tuition is exactly the same whether its in-state or out-of-state. Compare the tuition cost of each location down to the penny AS WELL as cost of living for each location. Your interest will compound on itself each day your loans are taken out (so it adds up in the end). My only take is if your going to pursue down this career path, go to the cheapest regionally accredited program.

A quick google search showed me that there's about a 10k difference in tuition between the two programs, with USF being that 10k more for out of state residents. That's a 40K difference over 4 years which is a pretty penny to pay off, especially with interest accruing during school. Now if you're able to get instate tuition, that swings the other way and is 10k cheaper per year to go to USF over LECOM. I didn't go to USF, however the state school I went to I paid out of state for my first year of school. By my second year I was able to get instate tuition, which saved me a ton of money. The main thing my school wanted to see was that you were getting all of your income from working in the state (not including student loans). That means mom and dad or student loans can't be paying your room and board, you need to be earning it by yourself from within the state (so you're paying state income taxes). Being a pharmacy student, that's dang near impossible unless you're married. So since I was married, my spouse's income counted and I was granted instate tuition.
All that said, I'm not sure that that is how it works for every state school so it may be different for USF. I'm just giving you my experience.

I really appreciate the input guys. Delving a little more into it, after tuition and fees are calculated for LECOM it comes to $34,507 for year 1, obviously the calculations will change through years 2-4. Compare that to USF's tuition and fees of $38,538, i'm looking at a 4 year difference of about $16k. I liked USF significantly more in my time on both campuses, just don't know if 16 grand worth. Living allowance is similar for both schools within a couple hundred dollars so not a major issue there. There is also the chance of need based scholarships being awarded with USF and not with LECOM that could offset some of the difference. Unfortunately, I don't believe I would ever be given in state status if I begin this school year. Does anyone know of anyone ever having success negotiating fees down?

Hey I graduated from USF COP 2019. I had some friends who were out of state. You can get instate tuition, but u have to reach out to administration. It won't be done on ur behalf. If u can get instate, do USF. If u can't I would do UF. LECOM is okay, but I would advise USF or UF.