Step I USIMG Step 1 228 so what specialty?

Started by wwhsd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wwhsd

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am a US IMG with a step 1 score of 228. I am getting ready to start on clinicals. I am wondering what specialties does this score work for? I am not leaning towards anything specific but would like to know what doors does this open or shut for me? I really don't want to do surgery. That much I do know. It is not something that has ever interested me. Also, what steps should I take to make a stronger candidate. I want to be as proactive as possible in my 3rd and 4th years.

Thanks for the help!!
 
You should look at the data from NRMP for 2015. That's the best way to know which program to apply to and which not to. A score of 228 does not guarantee an IM residency (if you want to do IM that is). If you want IM, then get a much higher score on CK, and good reference letters along with As during 3/4th rotations. You can apply for IM, FM or Psy.