Using a doctor's experience during med school for secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolfpack93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the doctors I work with went to a medical school that I am applying to. I asked him about it and he told me everything he loved about the school, and I was wondering if it would be ok to use this anecdote when talking about why I wanted to go to the school? He really hooked me on this school, and I want to use how he talked about what the school has to offer in my essay.

Members don't see this ad.

One of the doctors I work with went to a medical school that I am applying to. I asked him about it and he told me everything he loved about the school, and I was wondering if it would be ok to use this anecdote when talking about why I wanted to go to the school? He really hooked me on this school, and I want to use how he talked about what the school has to offer in my essay.

I wouldn't. It just doesn't sound right. I'm in a similar boat and I interact with students at a local medical school (I've made friends with ~50 students) because their school runs a charity clinic that I volunteered at. With that being said, I'm also hooked on that school. I never mentioned it in secondaries, got an II, and have that in my back pocket for anything pertaining to fitting in the school. Address the issues of why YOU want to get to THAT school, not how someone else's experience at XYZ school motivated you.

Reactions: 1 users
Just refer to everything he loved about the school without referring to him.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't. It just doesn't sound right. I'm in a similar boat and I interact with students at a local medical school (I've made friends with ~50 students) because their school runs a charity clinic that I volunteered at. With that being said, I'm also hooked on that school. I never mentioned it in secondaries, got an II, and have that in my back pocket for anything pertaining to fitting in the school. Address the issues of why YOU want to get to THAT school, not how someone else's experience at XYZ school motivated you.
Yeah that makes sense. Only thing is it was one of the schools that I just applied to because it fit my MCAT/GPA. I guess I'll just do some research and try to find other things about it though.

Is your doc friend close to your age? There is always a chance that the stuff he told you is no longer applicable. And if you spent time describing these things as reasons you want to go there it might hurt you more than help you. I mean you even stated that you only applied there because it fit your stats and now you'll have to do some research and try to find other things about it. Bad idea to use your friend's memories as your own reasons.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app