Using Anki for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennyatc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a term 1 Medical Student and was wondering how some people use Anki for studying?
I am still figuring out what works best for me and many upper termers have told me they use Anki for studying but I want to know specifically how people use it efficiently.

Do you go to lecture and take notes then transfer to Anki and just use that as review?

I would love to know what works/doesn't work for people that use the App.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is a dedicated Anki thread, but I'll summarize my commandments here:

1. Add no more than 40 new cards per day on average (more will quickly overwhelm you).
  2. Make cards only on high yield facts (come up with your own criteria; eg, mentioned in First Aid for Step 1; eg, mentioned in both lecture and UpToDate).
  3. Cards must be clear (universally understandable), simple (one question per card), and univocal (elicit only one correct answer).
  4. Review Anki every single day, for at least the next two years (skipping days will overwhelm you; daily reviews creates a habit; the purpose of spaced repetition is long-term retention).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users