Using Athena overseas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drrosenrosen

Pain Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kind of a specific question, but I know some people here use Athena, so thought I'd try. Athena doesn't allow login from non-US IP addresses. I discovered this last year when I went to Costa Rica, and my plan to check in on my messages fell apart, leaving my partners to cover everything for me for the week. I'm planning another international trip this year, to Belize, and want to try to avoid that problem. Has anyone ever used a personal VPN like Nord to login to Athena while outside of the US?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
nice vacation choices!

Reactions: 1 users
Kind of a specific question, but I know some people here use Athena, so thought I'd try. Athena doesn't allow login from non-US IP addresses. I discovered this last year when I went to Costa Rica, and my plan to check in on my messages fell apart, leaving my partners to cover everything for me for the week. I'm planning another international trip this year, to Belize, and want to try to avoid that problem. Has anyone ever used a personal VPN like Nord to login to Athena while outside of the US?
Yes. Express VPN works great. Just do a one month subscription and cancel.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe I was able to use it overseas off of a cellular connection because it would not work off of Wi-Fi. But def vpn should work. Was able to send a few “emergency” Percocet prescription for my chronic pain patients when I was just in Prague haha

Great thanks. I'm going to be briefly in Canada on a layover in a few weeks, so I'll try the VPN from there and confirm it works. But hopefully this will resolve my issue.

cant you just go on vacation?

Reactions: 1 users
What do you do when you go on vacation?
Your partners *should* cover for you on vacation. That’s one of the perks of sharing the load. My partner went on an international trip to propose to his girlfriend and there was no way I was letting his patients interfere with that!

I'm the only person in my group who really uses my vacation, which I suppose I should classify as "not my problem" but I suppose I'm too much of a people pleaser. Since there's not any real reciprocity, it doesn't "seem fair" to me to ask them to cover when I go out of town.

What do you do when you go on vacation?

chase after my kids and try to make sure my wife doesnt have a breakdown. isnt that what most of us do?

i dont Rx opioids. everything can wait till i get back. i guess i have partners that can deal with a problem, but havent ever had to use them.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users