using "if" vs "when"

Started by Oh_Gee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Should I use "if" or "when:

  • if

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • when

    Votes: 6 60.0%

  • Total voters
    10

Oh_Gee

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went to a seminar about writing essays for medical schools. The guy said to always use "if" (such as "if i become a physician..." or "If i am accepted your medical school") so you don't sound presumptuous. He argued that if you write something like "when i become a physician..." that sounds arrogant, like you already think you're gonna get accepted.

So that is how I wrote my PS and secondaries. I sent them to an old friend of mine who just finished his first year of medical school and told me using "if" doesn't make me sound confident enough.

example: secondary is "
What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful physician?

i wrote "If i become a physician..."
He changed it to "As a physician..."

What are your opinions, SDN-er's
 
don't use "if." it sounds like you haven't made a decision.

use either "when" or "as" - both are fine and you need to sounds confident.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In all of my sentences, I said "as a physician...I will xxxx." I don't feel like it came out arrogant in any way but that's just me.
 
don't use "if." it sounds like you haven't made a decision.

use either "when" or "as" - both are fine and you need to sounds confident.
this seems to be the common consensus. thanks folks. happy writing!
 
I feel like this entire topic is neurotic by nature. As if an adcom will read an application and think to themselves "wow I can't believe this person used IF instead of WHEN, they clearly are not cut out for medicine," and simply disregard the rest of your essay.