Wheelchair using applicant in 2026 cycle

Started by mduggar
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mduggar

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be applying to med school in the upcoming cycle, and I am a paraplegic and full time wheelchair user. I plan to apply broadly, however I do not want to waste my time and money on schools that simply will not accept me. Should I email schools before I apply to ask if they would consider me as an applicant, or should I just send it and hope for the best? I will be talking about my disability heavily in my application, as it is a major reason I want to attend medical school.
 
I would do research on each school you're interested in applying to. Most will publish their technical standards on their webpages. That's the term you'll want to use in your searching "Technical Standards". They will probably vary between schools, and I don't know your full situation, so you'll have to parse through and determine if you can certify that you meet those standards.

For example, below is JHU's standards for motor function:

"Medical students must be able to perform routine physical examination and diagnostic maneuvers. Medical students must be able to provide general care and emergency treatment for patients, and to respond to emergency situations in a timely manner. These activities require some physical mobility, coordination of both gross and fine motor neuromuscular functions, and balance and equilibrium. Medical students must be able to meet applicable safety standards for the environment, and to follow universal precaution procedures.  "
 
I will also add that you should consider taking a look at eligibility requirements for vocational rehabilitation programs in your state. They may be able to help you fund your medical school education, in whole or in part, once you have an acceptance letter in-hand. If you do go down that route, you might want to read about WIOA as it relates to medical education, it formally recognizes medicine as a suitable employment goal for vocational rehabilitation recipients.

The VR program in my state has a success story of graduating a physician who suffered from a genetic condition that limited her mobility and was wheelchair-bound. I imagine she had accommodations and assistive technology procured for her by the VR program which likely helped her tremendously. Medical school is already hard, might as well have one more person in your corner that can connect you to services you will likely need.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just sharing without formal relationship or endorsement, but we have promoted their organization before.

Dear MSDCI Community,

We are excited to announce that we will be hosting our first-ever conference– the MSDCI Northeast Regional Conference– on March 28, 2026 in Rochester, NY. This hybrid (in-person and virtual) conference is open to all medical students, premedical students, and allied health professionals across the US.

Register here.

Registration deadlines:
  • February 20: if applying to host a breakout session or you would like to present a chapter highlight.
  • March 10: for in-person attendance.

We would like to invite you to attend virtually or in-person and to please share this event across your networks, across your medical schools at-large, and to premeds. We expect that this will be a day full of community, education, mentorship, and advocacy.

We’re excited to announce that our keynote speaker will be Patricia Fennell, MSW, LCSW-R, and CEO of Albany Health Management Associates, Inc.

The conference will feature a full day of programming dedicated to advancing disability inclusion in medical education and healthcare. Attendees can look forward to a dynamic keynote, thought-provoking panels, innovative research and project showcases, and interactive workshops. The day will also include breakout sessions tailored to different interests and experience levels, as well as an emphasis on opportunities for networking, mentorship, and community-building.

This has been an effort of over a year and half across MSDCI Chapters in upstate New York as well as a team of MSDCI National Executive Board members, and it has finally come to fruition. We are so excited to gather together to work toward our shared goals.

We hope to see you there!

Sincerely,
MSDCI National
 
I agree that you will need to do your research on the technical standards required by each med school you're interested in applying to.

n=1 but I have read about a wheelchair using woman who graduated from UCLA and is now an allergist.

I suspect that the tech standards of DO schools such as mine would preclude us.
 
Can you see yourself being fulfilled in another healthcare career where the technical standards will not be an issue?
 
I would do research on each school you're interested in applying to. Most will publish their technical standards on their webpages. That's the term you'll want to use in your searching "Technical Standards". They will probably vary between schools, and I don't know your full situation, so you'll have to parse through and determine if you can certify that you meet those standards.

For example, below is JHU's standards for motor function:

"Medical students must be able to perform routine physical examination and diagnostic maneuvers. Medical students must be able to provide general care and emergency treatment for patients, and to respond to emergency situations in a timely manner. These activities require some physical mobility, coordination of both gross and fine motor neuromuscular functions, and balance and equilibrium. Medical students must be able to meet applicable safety standards for the environment, and to follow universal precaution procedures.  "
From a quick search of a few schools, it looks like most of them may have very similarly worded technical standards (at least Harvard, Yale, JHU, and Pitt have almost the exact same verbiage as above). And I do know Harvard med school accepts students that are in wheelchairs (had a very nice paraplegic student rotate through one of our surgery services last month) so at least in their interpretation, students in wheelchairs can meet those standards (and supposedly Harvard is pretty smart). Given all this, in my humble opinion I would just apply everywhere you'd like and hope for the best like all of us. You can try calling/emailing the admissions office for confirmation but I feel like in this day and age, likely few programs would be foolish enough to say no just based on being in a wheelchair with technical standards like above. Good luck!
 
I will be applying to med school in the upcoming cycle, and I am a paraplegic and full time wheelchair user. I plan to apply broadly, however I do not want to waste my time and money on schools that simply will not accept me. Should I email schools before I apply to ask if they would consider me as an applicant, or should I just send it and hope for the best? I will be talking about my disability heavily in my application, as it is a major reason I want to attend medical school.
Have you gone to in-person recruitment fairs and campus recruitment days? Have you tried to "walk" around the hallways and navigate lecture spaces and labs during these events? Face time is important. (Also the message about the MSDCI conference.)

One of the more underappreciated aspects of the "tour" for you would be how wide the doorways are. When you have small groups or want some private study carrels, are you able to open the doors and go through? Same thing goes for the clinical spaces; many hospitals need some serious renovations to upgrade the width of patient/clinical rooms to safely navigate a patient in a wheelchair. Would you have enough space in those rooms with two wheelchairs? (Come to think of it, how are those sim spaces?)

Technical standards are great but a legal necessity. They tend to be aspirational and not a statement of reality.
 
Last edited:
Again, techical standards.
With all due respect, if technical standards bar a paraplegic from entering a program, they should be revised. The inability to use one’s legs is not a “direct threat” to the medical profession. 28 CFR § 36.104. However, that is a legal question that likely veers beyond the topic of this discussion.
 
Last edited:
With all due respect, if technical standards bar a paraplegic from entering your program, they should be revised. The inability to use one’s legs is not a “direct threat” to the medical profession. 24 CFR 9.131. However, that is a legal question that likely veers beyond the topic of this discussion.
You've got a lot to learn buddy. Don't go to law school as a backup plan either.
 
If you disagree with my position, can you please explain? If I am wrong, I am open to learning how.
In medicine, your own mobility factors into how you meet the physical demands of training and then your ability to care for the patient without harming them.

In osteopathic medicine, you have to complete OMT and that requires use of all of your limbs. As a physician, not having the use of all of your limbs can severely limit your ability to provide manual care to a patient.

I get the argument here about discrimination but you have to look at this pragmatically.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In medicine, your own mobility factors into how you meet the physical demands of training and then your ability to care for the patient without harming them.

In osteopathic medicine, you have to complete OMT and that requires use of all of your limbs. As a physician, not having the use of all of your limbs can severely limit your ability to provide manual care to a patient.

I get the argument here about discrimination but you have to look at this pragmatically.
In many cases, reasonable accommodations can be used to mitigate these concerns. While it may be more difficult and time-intensive for the physician, this does not make it impossible or harmful for a patient. If OP was applying to a surgical residency, this may be a different discussion, however there are many specialities that don’t require physical manipulation (ex. psychiatry, pathology, radiology).

While not the same, here is an example of a DO physician who developed MS and gave up OMT while retaining his license.

What disabled physicians bring to medicine - The DO
 
Last edited:
The ADA was passed in 1990 with significant enhancements in the ADAAA of 2008.
I hate to be a history geek on here but before the ADA was Rehabilitation Act of ‘73 where the term “disability” became more distinctively defined as a physical/mental impairment limiting one or more major life activities. Although this mainly applied to roles surrounding the federal government, one of the sections talk about accessibility to graduate education. This ball has been rolling for decades
 
In many cases, reasonable accommodations can be used to mitigate these concerns. While it may be more difficult and time-intensive for the physician, this does not make it impossible or harmful for a patient. If OP was applying to a surgical residency, this may be a different discussion, however there are many specialities that don’t require physical manipulation (ex. psychiatry, pathology, radiology).

While not the same, here is an example of a DO physician who developed MS and gave up OMT while retaining his license.

What disabled physicians bring to medicine - The DO
I think its just easier to find a different career where you don't have to go through that headache...and potentially put a patient's life at risk.

You know, flight attendant's have to be a certain height to carry out their duties--of which closing the overhead compartments is one of them.
 
I think its just easier to find a different career where you don't have to go through that headache...and potentially put a patient's life at risk.

You know, flight attendant's have to be a certain height to carry out their duties--of which closing the overhead compartments is one of them.
I agree with you, it certainly will be an uphill battle. However, I wish OP the best of luck in achieving their goals.
 
I think its just easier to find a different career where you don't have to go through that headache...and potentially put a patient's life at risk.

You know, flight attendant's have to be a certain height to carry out their duties--of which closing the overhead compartments is one of them.
How pathetic. I've known several people who were in wheelchairs while in medical school and in practice. They have not put patients lives at risk - in fact, one made major strides in preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV. I'm glad no one told that physician that it would have been easier to find a different career. There are others but don't let anyone tell you that it would be easier to find a different career if your heart is in medicine and you meet a school's technical requirements.
 
In many cases, reasonable accommodations can be used to mitigate these concerns. While it may be more difficult and time-intensive for the physician, this does not make it impossible or harmful for a patient. If OP was applying to a surgical residency, this may be a different discussion, however there are many specialities that don’t require physical manipulation (ex. psychiatry, pathology, radiology).

While not the same, here is an example of a DO physician who developed MS and gave up OMT while retaining his license.

What disabled physicians bring to medicine - The DO
Key word there is "reasonable"
 
I will be applying to med school in the upcoming cycle, and I am a paraplegic and full time wheelchair user. I plan to apply broadly, however I do not want to waste my time and money on schools that simply will not accept me. Should I email schools before I apply to ask if they would consider me as an applicant, or should I just send it and hope for the best? I will be talking about my disability heavily in my application, as it is a major reason I want to attend medical school.
Can't speak for all schools, but my school has accepted people who are paraplegic and those with progressive neurologic conditions (who were anticipated to develop at least incomplete paraplegia over the course of medical training).

Read each school's technical standards carefully before applying to ensure that your money isn't going to waste, but in general, provided you have sufficient gross and fine motor function in your upper extremities and are mobile in your wheelchair (which it seems like you are), you can safely perform any necessary physical exam maneuvers (e.g. auscultation, testing for strength/range of motion, etc.) and direct and/or provide emergent care to patients with adequate training (e.g., CPR, holding pressure, gaining IV access, etc.). None of the schools I've checked specify the need to have intact lower extremity function (merely sufficient mobility to go from point A to point B, which can be reasonably achieved through use of your wheelchair), but my search is obviously not comprehensive.

If you remain unsure after reading their technical standards, I think it's reasonable to email and ask for clarification as this isn't a super common scenario. Just my thoughts and best of luck.
 
Last edited:
Key word there is "reasonable"
The ADA sets a standard for what is reasonable based on these factors (28 CFR 36.104):

(1) The nature and cost of the action needed under this part;

(2) The overall financial resources of the site or sites involved in the action; the number of persons employed at the site; the effect on expenses and resources; legitimate safety requirements that are necessary for safe operation, including crime prevention measures; or the impact otherwise of the action upon the operation of the site;

(3) The geographic separateness, and the administrative or fiscal relationship of the site or sites in question to any parent corporation or entity;

(4) If applicable, the overall financial resources of any parent corporation or entity; the overall size of the parent corporation or entity with respect to the number of its employees; the number, type, and location of its facilities; and

(5) If applicable, the type of operation or operations of any parent corporation or entity, including the composition, structure, and functions of the workforce of the parent corporation or entity.


I don't have the knowledge or experience to say what this looks like for medical education, so I will defer to your judgment.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Status
Not open for further replies.