Using Medical Abbreviations in Essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IWishICouldPhysics

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good afternoon y'all! When writing secondaries, character counts can be limited; is it all right, if discussing a certain story, to use abbreviations for certain well-known medical conditions or categories, like "STI" for instance? I've heard mixed things, so I'm curious!
 
Do keep in mind that a variety of people may be reading your application. This might include someone specializing in the medical humanities, or bioinformatics, or anatomy/physiology/pharmacology. While it is easy enough to google a term that is unfamiliar, it does break the flow for the reader. I'd be very careful if there is any possibility that the meaning of the acronym is not immediately recognizable (DNA, ECG, EKG, IV, MI).
 
Do keep in mind that a variety of people may be reading your application. This might include someone specializing in the medical humanities, or bioinformatics, or anatomy/physiology/pharmacology. While it is easy enough to google a term that is unfamiliar, it does break the flow for the reader. I'd be very careful if there is any possibility that the meaning of the acronym is not immediately recognizable (DNA, ECG, EKG, IV, MI).
Makes sense, thank you ma'am! I'll stick with full phrases for now. It is okay use abbreviations for the school, though, right? (i.e. HMS, BCOM, etc.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good afternoon y'all! When writing secondaries, character counts can be limited; is it all right, if discussing a certain story, to use abbreviations for certain well-known medical conditions or categories, like "STI" for instance? I've heard mixed things, so I'm curious!
Please spell out the words before you use abbreviations. STP doesn't just mean "standard temperature and pressure."