Using old LOR's (don't shoot me)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amaprez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hear me out. I have tried for med school in the past and amassed 5 good Letters of Recommendation. After banging my head against a wall, I am looking at alternatives such as DO or Pod. I am thinking about Pod in particular.

Would it be kosher to use the same LOR's for Pod application? Keep in mind I have not seen these letters since I waived access and they are stored with my undergrad's Career Center.

I imagine even if they said something like "I recommend Amaprez for medicine" or "Amaprez will be a good clinician" --> this wouldn't be out of line for applying to podiatry school will it?

I could run back and get all my letter writers to revise their LOR's, but it took me literally months to get them in the first place. If I have to then I will however. I'm not being lazy just trying to be efficient. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I am literally in the same boat as you. I have e-mailed each of the schools I am applying too and only heard back from Ohio. It was the dean who actually e-mailed me and she said it would be perfectly fine to send those letters as long as they are less than 3 years old, even though they expressed me going to dental school (which was the plan at that time).

0_0 wow...wonder if I can do this for PT school (use old letters)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am literally in the same boat as you. I have e-mailed each of the schools I am applying too and only heard back from Ohio. It was the dean who actually e-mailed me and she said it would be perfectly fine to send those letters as long as they are less than 3 years old, even though they expressed me going to dental school (which was the plan at that time).

Hmmm Ron05hc please keep me posted if you hear back from any of those other schools regarding their policies on this! Thanks :)

I was always was taught to never use a letter more then a year old, but if she said they were okay, even if they were for dental school, then you're good! :thumbup:

Last edited:
DMU said they were fine as well but would put more weight on newer ones, i.e. from the podiatrist I shadowed and my boss I do research for.