Using personal drug reference at CVS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ldiot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes at CVS I want to reference dosing, side effects counseling points or interactions but their computer system is literally so slow it takes a full minute just to get to the page that I want. Maybe it doesn't sound like a lot, but when you are on the phone or have a patient in front of you its frustrating

Would it be unprofessional or against policy to just pay for a lexi subscription on my phone and just that? It would honestly be more efficient. Im just scared that I would look like an idiot pulling out my cell phone if a patient walks up to the counter and asks a question that I need to look up information on.

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes at CVS I want to reference dosing, side effects counseling points or interactions but their computer system is literally so slow it takes a full minute just to get to the page that I want. Maybe it doesn't sound like a lot, but when you are on the phone or have a patient in front of you its frustrating

Would it be unprofessional or against policy to just pay for a lexi subscription on my phone and just that? It would honestly be more efficient. Im just scared that I would look like an idiot pulling out my cell phone if a patient walks up to the counter and asks a question that I need to look up information on.
No. Just say your database isn't loading. "Let me look it up on my phone for you!" (Not sure about CVS policy, though)

Should an engineer use a calculator at work?

Lexi is a tool of our trade. It blows my mind that you'd even question using it on your phone. I do it all the time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, when I was at CVS, you could type "RD" in at some steps to get sowing info. Useful at verification.

Reactions: 1 users
What drug reference does CVS offer you? We use clinical pharmacology. We can have an access code sent to us to use on our mobile device without paying for a separate subscription fee.

When you first start your shift, open the Clinical Pharmacology page (alt+F5 -> CVS enterprise login -> RX net -> professional references -> clinical pharmacology). This should always stay open, never logs you out.

For real quick info though, I have MedScape app on my phone. It's free, and usually thorough enough for CVS purposes.

Reactions: 1 user
F7 brings up clinical pharmacology; also the "RD" button when in QV is a quick handy dosing range reference (not super specific though). I have Lexicomp just for odd questions (lab values, procedure stuff, etc.). I would get familiar with clinical pharmacology if I was yourself (clinical pharmacology is not nearly as streamlined and organized)

I have an old iPad that I like to use at work with Lexi loaded on it. There's a small subset of boomers that get angry if they see you using a cell phone. I've had a negative patient survey where they said I was "too busy texting" to fill their prescription right away. I figure that using an iPad looks more professional.

Tell them just a moment, I'll double check or look up some additional info for you, and pull out your phone behind the computer where they can't see.

I paid Lexi every 3 years , I use it all the time, much faster than my PC