Using professional teaching recommendation for application service eval

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plastic156600sub3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I went through student teaching for Biology Secondary Ed. several years back, I had a professor who gave me a stellar formal recommendation for teaching. It was very analytical of my style and the positives of my abilities as a teacher. The college itself keeps copies of these letters when professors and cooperating teachers write them for the student teacher to aid him/her in getting a job.

This was a few years ago. I really like this letter, because I think it is an accurate snapshot of my abilities.
Should I use this as an evaluation letter for the AMCAS/AACOMAS?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In general I think that letter is fine. If it focuses on your abilities as a teacher, I would not count it as a science letter but rather as a "employment" letter. If there is a way the professor could rewrite it to include/emphasize how your aptitude/analytical skills in the sciences enabled you to be an excellent teacher it would be more effective (and could count as a science faculty letter). Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much for your thoughtful answer. I have to tell you, I have had the hardest time getting letters. It's like pulling teeth. Even from my bosses. This particular professor talks in detail about my science knowledge in the letter, so I may give it a try as a faculty letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your thoughtful answer. I have to tell you, I have had the hardest time getting letters. It's like pulling teeth. Even from my bosses. This particular professor talks in detail about my science knowledge in the letter, so I may give it a try as a faculty letter.

You need 2 science letters at many schools and 1 nonscience prof at some, so check on the specific requirements of schools you are interested in attending.

Reactions: 1 user

I would be careful with this. Letters from professors are usually required to be from someone whose class you have taken, in which you have been formally evaluated on learning new material. Definitely follow the advice above and verify this letter is acceptable as one of your core letters (and not just a supplementary one) if you are choosing to go this route.

I would be careful with this. Letters from professors are usually required to be from someone whose class you have taken, in which you have been formally evaluated on learning new material. Definitely follow the advice above and verify this letter is acceptable as one of your core letters (and not just a supplementary one) if you are choosing to go this route.

Thanks!
Pennsylvania has the one of the most rigorous science teaching programs in the country. My professor in charge of my practicum (who wrote the letter) was also an associate biology professor who taught several classes I took for my biology degree. He even gave me a plug for my chemistry knowledge, since at the time I was student teaching AP Chemistry. This is where Pennsylvania is tough. Rather than having a science degree and being certified general science teacher, you can only teach a majority of classes in your major area. Since I was biology, I had to teach almost exclusively bio, but was allowed to teach chemistry and excelled in doing so.

Thanks!
Pennsylvania has the one of the most rigorous science teaching programs in the country. My professor in charge of my practicum (who wrote the letter) was also an associate biology professor who taught several classes I took for my biology degree. He even gave me a plug for my chemistry knowledge, since at the time I was student teaching AP Chemistry. This is where Pennsylvania is tough. Rather than having a science degree and being certified general science teacher, you can only teach a majority of classes in your major area. Since I was biology, I had to teach almost exclusively bio, but was allowed to teach chemistry and excelled in doing so.

Still, most schools are going to want a letter regarding how you are a good applicant to medical school, in addition to just a good science teacher. I think your best option is having this professor write a more traditional letter of recommendation, as has already been suggested. Good luck!