Using research opportunities for "Why us" essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiteralLungs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some of the Why us essays, I mentioned my research experience, then talked about the research opportunities the school offers, and how that would help me achieve my goals. Then that filled up the word/character count.
Is it okay if I only talked about a research opportunity in a why us essay? There are other secondary questions and the rest of my primary application where I talked extensively about community service and humanistic things.

I could try and jam in something about how the student run clinic appeals to me as well, but then I'd only be able to superficially explain each thing in only 1 or 2 sentences. And I feel like I'd just be repeating themes that are apparent throughout the rest of my application, but in the context of the school's opportunity. On the other hand, the only other place I spoke about my research was in my activities section.

Members don't see this ad.

I think only research might be a hindrance. You should do your due diligence and be able to enumerate multiple answers for "why us?'

Because at interview I could ask you, "Suppose Dr X, who you are very interested in working with, turns out to be an dingus?"

I think only research might be a hindrance. You should do your due diligence and be able to enumerate multiple answers for "why us?'

Because at interview I could ask you, "Suppose Dr X, who you are very interested in working with, turns out to be an dingus?"

I wasn't specific to the point where I mentioned specific faculty members. I guess they could still ask if I decided I didn't like that field of study anymore

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't specific to the point where I mentioned specific faculty members. I guess they could still ask if I decided I didn't like that field of study anymore
Or ask "those researchers are moving to another institution in the next year" OR those researchers lost thier funding and have had to close their labs."

Keep in mind that med schools aren't looking for grad students. They want people who will make good doctors, not merely good students.

Or ask "those researchers are moving to another institution in the next year" OR those researchers lost thier funding and have had to close their labs."

Keep in mind that med schools aren't looking for grad students. They want people who will make good doctors, not merely good students.

I was hoping that it wouldn't come across that way in the context of the rest of my application. I will go back and try to de-emphasize research

So for a short prompt, would you rather I write generic sounding explanations for a lot of reasons or a good explanation for a single reason?

So for a short prompt, would you rather I write generic sounding explanations for a lot of reasons or a good explanation for a single reason?
They would rather you write about why you want to attend them from the heart.

Not about what you think they want to hear.

• Love
  • Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I talked about research opportunities! I didn't mention specific researchers though, I talked about like big projects that the school has, like a big wellness/resilience center that has multiple projects I like, or youth health projects, community health things, or other centers that have unique goals/approaches that I can't find elsewhere