1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Using same veterinarians/adviser for 2nd time around LORs??

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by hwolfe, Jul 26, 2011.

1. hwolfe

hwolfe KSU CVM C/O 2015
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I am applying to vet school for the second time around, but have not developed relationships with any new veterinarians or professors. Do you think it's okay to use the same people the second time around?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. petdrhpful2015

petdrhpful2015 VMRCVM c/o 2015
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I applied twice as well and used the same ones from my first application cycle and since you can't read the letters, have no idea if they were changed or updated at all! They were all from people that I no longer worked for, so there wasn't really anything new to add. I did add one LOR from a zoo keeper I worked for, so ended up with 4 total.

Did you give the writers guidelines for what the letters should include? Some schools (I think NC State for one) has a link on their application info webpage that you can give to writers to make sure they write what the school wants. I did that the second time around, but again, not sure if they utilized them.

4. BQ2009

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm in the same situation as you and I'm going to use the same people. I also provide my resume or CV along with a little paragraph reminding them dates we worked together, what I did to help the clinic, what activities I was involved in as well as what I've been up to since we worked together. That helps guide them when they write the LOR. Good luck!

5. Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    If you have no doubts that the letter was strong, and that it was other things in your application that didn't get you in the first time, then I don't see why not. However, I'm sort of remembering your rant a little while ago about having worked very hard at a clinic, and even after being promised you'll get a paid position as a tech once one opened (or something like that), but got passed up for a stranger. If the rec letter is coming from that place, I'd be a little wary. But you know your LOR writers best, so as long as you're feeling warm and fuzzy about it, I don't think it'd be a bad idea to reuse them.

If I were you, I'd have a post-mortem from the schools you got rejected from. Talk to your old LOR writers about the reasons why they didn't let you in last time, and see if it's something they can address in their letters. If it's that they thought your academics were low, then maybe your LOR writers can attest to your aptitude in understanding veterinary concepts, etc...

6. StartingoverVet

StartingoverVet Flight Instructor for hire
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    This is probably the best advice I have seen on the forum.

Even if you had GREAT LORs, it is brilliant for the writer to shore up any weaknesses the adcoms saw in your app.

Really, any problem can be addressed this way.

I say we give minnerbelle a gold star :thumbup:

7. Minnerbelle

Veterinary Student
    OMG REALLY!?!? A GOLD STAR???? Whippeeeeeeee! I've always wanted one! Thanks! lol

8. hwolfe

hwolfe KSU CVM C/O 2015
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    petdrhpful2015: I did not give them guidelines last year, but I was thinking about it this year. I will probably follow your advice!

Minnerbelle: Yes, that was my rant!!! However, it was the techs that screwed me over rather than the vets (the office manager sort of ruled the place and didn't like me for some reason). I did get the "post-mortem" from one school, who said my LORs were very strong, so I'm not very worried about that. From what the admissions director told me, it was my interview that got me rejected :/ do you have an idea of how could my LORs address that? Thanks for the advice!

9. petdrhpful2015

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I think unless the letters say something outstanding about how well you interact with clients, the letters can't really help you with your interview. From my experience, the interview is really the make-it or break-it factor and if you're borderline at all, then a bad interview will sway the committee towards a rejection or wait-list. I would suggest just practicing for your interview. Have friends schedule mock interviews, have them research questions to ask, come dressed ready to interview, and practice delivery. Then your friends can see how you are different in real life and during the interview and offer you suggestions. It won't completely take the pressure off the real deal, but the only thing that will help you feel more comfortable delivering answers quickly and professionally is practice.

What types of interviews did you do? Were they one-on-one or rotating interview scenarios (i.e. VMRCVM does that)?

Some schools also offer interview practices, I know mine did and it was so helpful...I was interviewed by a group of 5 professors and department heads who basically put me through the ringer. See if you can find an opportunity like that.

10. StartingoverVet

StartingoverVet Flight Instructor for hire
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Depends on how things went but some anecdote about how different you appear than 1st impression, or how once you get comfortable you interacted well, how well you communicated with staff, or how clients respond positively, etc. etc. I kind of depends on what went wrong in the interview and what you've improved on in your time with the person but it is definitely something that the LOR can give the adcoms to think about!

11. lareinesoleil

lareinesoleil WSU CVM c/o 2015!!!
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I practiced a ton for my interview - there are a whole bunch of questions in one of the sticky threads. I printed them all out, then found a handful of willing volunteers to do a mock interview where they picked their 5-10 favorite questions and whatever ones of their own they wanted to throw in there. It's really good practice.

12. Minnerbelle

Veterinary Student
    Well if it's your interview that tanked you, then I'd def worry much more about that than your rec letters. That being said, it might be nice for your evaluators to say things like what SOV mentioned. Even them saying something like "hwolfe has really come out of her shell in the last year. she has been working on her client interaction skills and several clients have commented on how she would make a great veterinarian some day because of her wonderful puppy/vaccination/heartworm talks, etc..."would be a huge plus I would think. What about the interview went so bad? Was it your general nervous attitude/demeanor? or Did you not come across as knowledgeable of the field?

:thumbup:. I printed them all out too (every single one for the schools I was interviewing at plus a few more that looked good). Distributed them out to roommates, boyfriend, and coworkers, and had them shoot questions at me any chance they got. Even if I was walking on my way to do something, someone would ask a question, and I'd stand straight up, put on my interview smile, whip my head around for direct eye contact, and answer the question as if I were in one. Helps tremendously to write/say aloud the answers, esp in getting rid of nervous brain farts. Instead of going "omg omg what do I say!?!?" in your head, it's very relaxing to go in with a "oh yes, I've answered this before!" mindset.

13. Kmeid

Kmeid VMRCVM c/o 2016!

Pre-Veterinary
    What did you put as guidelines for what the letters should include? and where did you happen to find the guidelines? I was snooping around online to try to find what they're specifically looking for and I didn't stumble across it. Since I'm apply in VMRCVM I figured you might have a good idea on the topic :) Thanks!

14. petdrhpful2015

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I applied to NCSU also so I used their link:
    http://cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/info_for_ref_writers.html

I felt like it gave a pretty good idea of what I wanted my letters to include, but also plenty of room for the writers to include their own spin. Hope this helps!

15. Kmeid

Kmeid VMRCVM c/o 2016!

Pre-Veterinary
    Perfect. Thank you so much!