Using Step 2 Resources to study for Shelf Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fw5tape6kq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what experience people have had using Step 2 resources to study for their shelf exams: e.g., using Step 2 CK First Aid, USMLE Rx for Step 2, And UWorld as the primary means by which to study for these exams, or even as a supplement. How many people stick to primary texts like Case Files or Basic Review without dipping into Step 2 resources - and find that approach sufficient?

For example, I start my Pediatrics rotation soon. I have both BRS Pediatrics and Case Files, and I suspect that getting through both of those texts in their entirety will take up a decent amount of time, leaving the prospect of using other resources a little more pressured. Should I make a concerted effort to use FA Step 2 CK, UWorld, and USMLE Rx?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll find that people study in dramatically different ways for clerkship shelves, as opposed to step 1 where everyone uses the same sources.

UWORLD was my main study tool. It is excellent for IM, Surgery (doing surgery questions plus IM GI and Renal), Peds, and OB. I haven't done psych or neuro yet so I can't comment on them. My main study method was to do the uworld questions, use 1 other random book (case files, pretest, etc) and also do the UT power points for each subject. FA for step 2 CK is not a great book. It is ok for peds and ob/gyn, but pretty poor otherwise. The best "reference" text for studying in third year is step up to medicine. It is mainly an IM book, but you can use it for most classes.

Reactions: 1 user