Using your core specialty in addition to Critical Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MDAforthewin

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who are working in the 7-on-7-off model, are you able to find the demand and (perhaps most importantly) the energy to work one week in your core specialty? I want to keep anesthesia in my back pocket for later in my career but I am terrified that going full time critical care will erode my anesthesia skills. The potential extra cash is also tempting to pay off loans quicker. I assume the extra week would be as a 1099 as hopefully the core critical care gig would provide the benefits I would need.

Right now I plan to do a CT and CC fellowship. I don't know if there is any more demand for CT trained guy in PP versus academics.

Thanks.