USMD - Matching fellowship from community IM program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurkhali

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an incoming PGY-1 at a community program who has aspirations of matching a procedural specialty. My current program does not have a PCCM or GI fellowship (my current interests) and I am worried about my prospects of matching fellowship. I have some research (1 abstract in GI, 1 abstract in cards from years ago, poster presentation at my med schools conference), step 1/2 238/258.

I, unfortunately, fell pretty far down my ROL past my university programs. Have been pretty bummed about it for the past month or so. I did think I wanted to end up in academia to some degree after residency but I would take any fellowship over no fellowship. Hospital medicine would be tolerable but I don't think it's a long-term career for me.

Will I still have a good shot of matching GI or PCCM at decent programs (preferablyy academic even if they are smaller programs) if I just try to publish a few manuscripts/attend conferences? Is chief year going to help? My current residency has not matched too many folks to GI or PCCM but there are a few every couple of years for PCCM. GI is less common but historically there have been some impressive matches.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am an incoming PGY-1 at a community program who has aspirations of matching a procedural specialty. My current program does not have a PCCM or GI fellowship (my current interests) and I am worried about my prospects of matching fellowship. I have some research (1 abstract in GI, 1 abstract in cards from years ago, poster presentation at my med schools conference), step 1/2 238/258.

I, unfortunately, fell pretty far down my ROL past my university programs. Have been pretty bummed about it for the past month or so. I did think I wanted to end up in academia to some degree after residency but I would take any fellowship over no fellowship. Hospital medicine would be tolerable but I don't think it's a long-term career for me.

Will I still have a good shot of matching GI or PCCM at decent programs (preferablyy academic even if they are smaller programs) if I just try to publish a few manuscripts/attend conferences? Is chief year going to help? My current residency has not matched too many folks to GI or PCCM but there are a few every couple of years for PCCM. GI is less common but historically there have been some impressive matches.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you!
Yes and yes. You will match GI if you put in the work. Now relax until the year starts.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes and yes. You will match GI if you put in the work. Now relax until the year starts.
Oh really? That’s reassuring. I don’t know how much research I can produce in 2 years but your confidence is very comforting haha. Appreciate it, friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh really? That’s reassuring. I don’t know how much research I can produce in 2 years but your confidence is very comforting haha. Appreciate it, friend.
In a similar boat. Been told GI is near impossible without prior extensive research or a chief/ gap year coming from a community program since its hard to be productive enough in 2 years

In a similar boat. Been told GI is near impossible without prior extensive research or a chief/ gap year coming from a community program since its hard to be productive enough in 2 years
Yeah that’s what I’m afraid of. I even thought about transferring after intern year but that seems too risky.

Yeah that’s what I’m afraid of. I even thought about transferring after intern year but that seems too risky.
A resident at the community program I matched at apparently didn't match last year with like 5 pubs (real ones not case reports).... GI is tough even from university programs. I would prepare to take an extra year mentally unless you get really lucky with productivity. I heard PCCM is more doable. I'm only an incoming intern too though so take everything I say with a grain of salt

Reactions: 1 users
A resident at the community program I matched at apparently didn't match last year with like 5 pubs (real ones not case reports).... GI is tough even from university programs. I would prepare to take an extra year mentally unless you get really lucky with productivity. I heard PCCM is more doable. I'm only an incoming intern too though so take everything I say with a grain of salt
Were they USMD with solid step scores? I guess you might not know all of their app though.

Were they USMD with solid step scores? I guess you might not know all of their app though.
Yes USMD. No idea about the rest of their app but I think fellowships mainly care about research and program when choosing, don’t think step scores matter unless they bombed them or something. People from university programs go unmatched every year in GI it’s unfortunately super tough. Not saying you can’t do it or anything of course you can it’s just tough these kinds of situations aren’t that rare

Last edited:
I may have missed this but are you a US grad or IMG? Your situation is tough but not impossible, much more so as an IMG. Getting research will be the key, establish this early with the closest academic center. Agree PCCM is likely an easier route. IMO GI is more competitive than the numbers suggest as it scares off a number of applicants, especially non- US MD candidates, this is less true of PCCM, especially when you factor in additional CCM spots alone, and to a lesser extent Cards which has more positions than any other IM fellowship.

All this should not dissuade you from doing GI. You may the one candidate that breaks through, these are ultimately odds, your own situation is what matters. If you feel you could do either specialty try to work towards both and keep your options open. If you ultimately decide on GI there are other avenues, research fellows, non-accredited years etc. This is lengthen your training but if this what you truly end up wanting to do that shouldn't be what stops you.

I may have missed this but are you a US grad or IMG? Your situation is tough but not impossible, much more so as an IMG. Getting research will be the key, establish this early with the closest academic center. Agree PCCM is likely an easier route. IMO GI is more competitive than the numbers suggest as it scares off a number of applicants, especially non- US MD candidates, this is less true of PCCM, especially when you factor in additional CCM spots alone, and to a lesser extent Cards which has more positions than any other IM fellowship.

All this should not dissuade you from doing GI. You may the one candidate that breaks through, these are ultimately odds, your own situation is what matters. If you feel you could do either specialty try to work towards both and keep your options open. If you ultimately decide on GI there are other avenues, research fellows, non-accredited years etc. This is lengthen your training but if this what you truly end up wanting to do that shouldn't be what stops you.
I am a USMD who went to a mid tier medical school. I will definitely try to establish research early on with someone from an academic center and I am prepared to take a hospitalist year afterwards to do more research or do a 1 year fellowship to bolster my application. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Heard a few cases of this this year. More common at community programs when more than 1 person wants to match into GI.

Reactions: 1 user
Heard a few cases of this this year. More common at community programs when more than 1 person wants to match into GI.
Yea also heard someone from my med school's academic residency that one person didn't match, don't know much about their app though. Thank god I don't like GI lol

I won't sugar coat it. It'll be extremely hard but not impossible. People have matched with worse background then yours. You too will if you try hard enough.

-Be the best IM resident you can be.
- create connections. particularly in geographically nearby university hospitals. Particularly if you have one in your healthcare system or your hospital is affiliated to med school.
- away electives and research.
- try the best you can to do chief year..
-publish publish publish
- PCCM is much much easier to get x than GI. make sure you truly want gi before putting in all the hard work..

Just an update folks, I ended up transferring to an academic program for other reasons so I hope I will not have the same uphill battle matching into GI! Thank you everyone for your advice.

Reactions: 3 users