USMD step 1 where to start...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UglyUselessSlob

Reaction score
hi,
So I’ve been lurking around here a little bit, and I’ve just finished my first year in medical school.

A little bit about me: I got into an MD school through a BS/BAMD program that didn’t require a minimum MCAT. Although I studied very hard and scored pretty high/consistently high on my practice tests, I ended up flopping on the real deal. Luckily I was already accepted at this point, so it didn’t matter (minus the crushing of my confidence and complete destruction of self worth/self esteem).

As a non-bio major in college, my applicable science background for medical school was pretty weak, but I managed to do decently okay.

With all this said, I’m someone of subpar intelligence in my own expert opinion. But I’m willing to work hard to at least achieve what I can, which is why I want to start this summer. The only problem is that I’m not exactly sure WHERE to start, and I’d appreciate it if someone could point me to a study plan of sorts. I’m not the best at retaining information, and my MCAT was a huge flop (I still cringe because I feel like idk wtf even happened! I lost a lot of confidence going into medical school because of this exam and it still haunts me). Realistically I would like a score above 240. If there’s a God maybe I’ll hit 250+. Help for this average student with below average natural aptitude and above average ambitions is MUCH appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm below average student who struggled during 2nd year. I finished MS2, but right now I'm preparing for step 1 while my classmates started rotations. I can outline some steps as a below average student that went through this and learned something useful for another below average student.

1. Start preparing early. Many average and above average students will tell you to not do it - and they are right, but for us with bad retention - we NEED to start early. Repetition is the only way to put it into long term memory and you need time for that. No other way around it.
2. Use UW as a learning tool along your lecture slides - do questions that go along your current studying subject/organ system. Do not save it for dedicated time - trust me it will be too late for you (this is important).
3. Use Sketchy for micro and pharm. Use pathoma - watch videos.
4. Use some anki deck - but keep it manageable (avoid huge zanki decks).
5. Do take UWSA and/or nbme at least couple times, around December and February to access where you stand and what your weaknesses are. Yes, I know you will be still in the mid study. Take them.
6. Make your goal to come to dedicated time with about 195 on nmbe - basically passing score. Otherwise it will be very hard to increase your score in whatever time you'll have left in dedicated. Remember that usual things that work for average or above average students - require more time for us. The biggest mistake I made was listened to others and thought it would work out same for me. Time goes fast - don't lose it - if you go to bed everyday satisfied with work you've done - that's the best way to be sure you'll pass step 1 and do great.