USMLE/COMLEX Qbank Raffle from Kaplan Medical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Post your comments on our Qbank products in this forum and you will be entered to win one of the following:

• Choice of USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX Level 1 (3 mo)
  • USMLE Step 2 CK (3 mo)
  • USMLE Step 3 (3 mo)
Only Kaplan's Qbank includes a Score Estimator!* Now with even more exam-like questions.

Learn more about Kaplan's Qbank at http://www.kaplanmedical.com/Medical...k-central.html

*Only in Step 1 and Step 2 CK Qbank, feature coming soon to Step 3.

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn't aware of the score estimator until reading your post. What an excellent feature! Does it use cumulative performance to estimate the score range, or provide a "snapshot" based on the student's most recent exam?
The score estimator can be used once you have completed enough questions in Qbank to give a reliable estimate of your knowledge base. Of course, it's reliability is affected by how users choose to use the Qbank, so that those who begin taking mixed subject test blocks of fresh items under timed mode get the most reliable estimate, since those conditions best mirror the demands of the real exam. Qbank also provides ongoing snapshots of your most recent interactions (test sessions) as well as cumulative statistics.

Do people typically use the qbank only for the 3 months prior to the boards or do they use it all through second year?

Please enter me in the raffle, this looks like an excellent study aid!
People use it both ways. Probably there are more who wait until later in their 2nd year to get started on preparation for Step 1, but using it earlier is also becoming more popular because it keeps showing you how the material you studied 1st year and what you are learning 2nd year might be tested on Step 1 as compared to how the material is tested by faculty at your school.

Kaplan Q banks have remained excellent products over the years and only get better. So many people have benefited from them. Keep up the good work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1 qbank was the best for USMLE 1 and was quite appropriate as far as purpose. I did very well!

Zelato and Vinci,

Thanks for the kind words about the Qbank. We really do work hard to keep the Qbank current with changes on the USMLE and to offer the kind of features that you want and need to monitor your progress. Good luck in the raffle!:love:

I was looking at the actual kaplan Q BOOK the other day just to get a sense of the type of questions kaplan uses. from what i remember the book was divided by subject, can the qbank be used by subject division as well as in random blocks?

I was looking at the actual kaplan Q BOOK the other day just to get a sense of the type of questions kaplan uses. from what i remember the book was divided by subject, can the qbank be used by subject division as well as in random blocks?
Qbank allows you to select test block content by any subject, by organ system, already used, unused, previously answered incorrectly, ...

In short, any mix you want!

Judy@Kaplan,

1. Does this raffle also apply to PANCE qbank?

I guess I can't PM ya!?

2. I have Kaplan 2nd ed. book for PANCE w/~700 questions. Do you know if those ~700 q's are the same as the Qbank questions?
I did call Kaplan Medical & the lady didn't know!?...........

Please help, asap! Thanks at2pa

Does Kaplan practice questions for USMLE Step 2CK include audio/image questions similar to those used on the actual exam?

Post your comments on our Qbank products in this forum and you will be entered to win one of the following:

• USMLE Step 2 CK (3 mo)
  • USMLE Step 3 (3 mo)
Only Kaplan's Qbank includes a Score Estimator!* Now with even more exam-like questions.

Learn more about Kaplan's Qbank at http://www.kaplanmedical.com/Medical...k-central.html

I am interested in being enrolled for the STEP 2 raffle! I would have preferred Kaplan's interface to be more similar to the austere FRED interface of the real test. While Kaplan's interface was slick, it lacked a certain element of sterility in the online interface the NBME uses. Thank you!

I really like the idea of having a score estimator to help you out while studying. After talking to a lot of people who just took the test they said that Kaplan QBank was their number one question source while studying, and they did quite well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I am not hoping to win a Raffle with this post BUT...

Travails of the New step2 CK qbank...
I was consistently getting only 50-60% in this and freaked out. UW (old questions) were reasonably ok was getting around 72-75...
I came across another form here about complaining about the questions being too hard. That was a relief!
also -- kaplan's questions need a little bit more proof reading -- some questions were plain WRONG -- for example one questions in peds states the scenario of hypernatremic dehydration in a 5 month old and the "correct" answer choice is to give 8L of hypo osmotic fluid!! no weight correction - nothing!
They prob. wanted to increase the difficulty since most ppl were finding it too easy. also, some of these questions have misleading information/inconsistent info. to the clinical scenario. that said I would still do these questions since they drive home certain key concepts much better!!!
I used qbank for step 1 and found it very useful. hope this will be the case for step 2 also!

Both of my roommates used Step 1 Qbank from Kaplan and said that it along with First Aid were keys to doing well on the exam. Sign me up for the Step 1 raffle!

please sign me up for step 2 raffle... have found kaplan material to good!

thanks

Judy@Kaplan,

1. Does this raffle also apply to PANCE qbank?

I guess I can't PM ya!?

2. I have Kaplan 2nd ed. book for PANCE w/~700 questions. Do you know if those ~700 q's are the same as the Qbank questions?
I did call Kaplan Medical & the lady didn't know!?...........

Please help, asap! Thanks at2pa
I apologize for the person not knowing about what we offer for PANCE..she should have known. The PANCE Qbank does not overlap the questions in the book you mentioned. If you want to explore the PANCE Qbank, just click on the following URL and it should take you to the description for it.

http://www.kaplanmedical.com/Physic...Programs/PA_pance_panre_qbank.html?cid=245970

Well I am not hoping to win a Raffle with this post BUT...

Travails of the New step2 CK qbank...
I was consistently getting only 50-60% in this and freaked out. UW (old questions) were reasonably ok was getting around 72-75...
I came across another form here about complaining about the questions being too hard. That was a relief!
also -- kaplan's questions need a little bit more proof reading -- some questions were plain WRONG -- for example one questions in peds states the scenario of hypernatremic dehydration in a 5 month old and the "correct" answer choice is to give 8L of hypo osmotic fluid!! no weight correction - nothing!
They prob. wanted to increase the difficulty since most ppl were finding it too easy. also, some of these questions have misleading information/inconsistent info. to the clinical scenario. that said I would still do these questions since they drive home certain key concepts much better!!!
I used qbank for step 1 and found it very useful. hope this will be the case for step 2 also!
While I can't comment on the question issue you mention, I can tell you that the Step 2CK Qbank was recently and completely revised and also now offers new features including question rekaps, as well as a score estimator which initial users have found very helpful. I will pass along your concern about that question, but based on the feedback we've gotten on the new Step 2CK Qbank, I can tell you that most now find it to be really consistent with what USMLE now asks, and they also appreciate the added content reflecting the newer visual material. Of course, any humanly made product can have a few errors, and we appreciate hearing about them to we can investigate, verify, and fix them!

Does Kaplan practice questions for USMLE Step 2CK include audio/image questions similar to those used on the actual exam?
Yes--questions with audio/video content have been added to the Qbanks.

Sign me up for the USMLE STEP 1 Qbank raffle

Enter me in the raffle, please. I have 9 months to take Step 3. Seven year rule.

I really enjoyed my MCAT classes in undergrad, and look forward to using your qbank to help prepare for step 1. Do you use questions from past tests, or create your own questions?

The only qbank I used is the Kaplan Qbank for step1, it was very good and helped me a lot.

I really enjoyed my MCAT classes in undergrad, and look forward to using your qbank to help prepare for step 1. Do you use questions from past tests, or create your own questions?
We use our own faculty to write questions. Use of any NBME/USMLE item, even from older exams, is illegal!

I apologize for the person not knowing about what we offer for PANCE..she should have known. The PANCE Qbank does not overlap the questions in the book you mentioned. If you want to explore the PANCE Qbank, just click on the following URL and it should take you to the description for it.

http://www.kaplanmedical.com/Physic...Programs/PA_pance_panre_qbank.html?cid=245970

Thanks! for info!
I would love to win PANCE QBank in your Raffle!
When is drawing? How many win?
Thx!

I could definitely use the step 2 ck qbank!

Please enter me in the raffle for Q-bank for Step 3.

Q bank has been my go-to source for test prep for USMLE and COMLEX for step 1 and 2. For me, I get next to nothing out of reading the same review books over and over, but doing questions makes it stick. Maybe it is the anxiety of see the timer or just the extra focus required for test questions but I have all but given up on books. My advice for people preparing for the "Steps" is, do EVERY question in Q bank in 50 question random blocks, then go over each and every explanation. It is takes time....but it is well worth it!

Please enter me into Step 2 CK Qbank raffle.

Have any changes/updates been made to the bank this year?

• USMLE Step 2 CK (3 mo)
  • USMLE Step 3 (3 mo)

How long can you access the Q banks? If I am taking step in July of 2009, could I buy and use the Q bank starting in January?

I am very interested in step 1 qbank.

My questions are: Is 3 months the typical length of time purchased for Qbank? And what are the fees associated with adding time onto your Qbank should you end up changing your exam date?

I used the updated Qbank for Step 1 and it was the most like the exam questions that I used. (I used both USMLE World and Kaplan QBank). The updated QBank questions were much more difficult and I felt that they prepared me more for Step 1 than did the World questions. I would love to win the Step 2 QBank...if I get that lucky! Thanks again for the great updates, they helped lots :)

Is there any integration between Qbank and the Kaplan books? I've enjoyed the books in the past and was wondering if the questions would ever refer to the written material.

I would be interested in USMLE Step1

I've heard some really good reviews about kaplan qbank for step 1. I wanted to know if there's correlation between actual step 1 scores and the perfomance on the qbank??

Is there any sort of difficulty format with the Qbank questions?

I would love to be entered in the Step 1 drawing.

Thanks

Thanks.

I've heard great things about Step 1 QBank. I was just wondering what the best timeline would be to implement QBank (i.e. throughout second year, or just a few months before Step 1). Sign me up for the Step 1 raffle!

Upperclassmen at my school have spoken highly about the Qbank. But I'm not familiar with what it is. Is it a datababse of computer based questions for review? As a MS1 will the Step 1 QBank be something I can use now for review and be helpful (since I'm thinking I'll need all the help I can get)? :)

Thanks! for info!
I would love to win PANCE QBank in your Raffle!
When is drawing? How many win?
Thx!
I'm not sure how many will be given away, but I'll check. I believe they pick the winners at the end of this forum event and contact by email.

I've heard great things about Step 1 QBank. I was just wondering what the best timeline would be to implement QBank (i.e. throughout second year, or just a few months before Step 1). Sign me up for the Step 1 raffle!
Students have used it successfully either way, although given human nature, probably there are more who tend to use it toward the end of second year. Using it during the year might help you see how USMLE tests as compared to how material is tested at your school, but certainly using it even for the final months is helpful, since you would then have more time and be able to do some really intensive practice. Key to getting the most out of it is using the detailed feedback, both on individual questions (explanations and rekaps of key points), as well as on your overall performance, so you can spot weak areas and work to strengthen them.

Upperclassmen at my school have spoken highly about the Qbank. But I'm not familiar with what it is. Is it a datababse of computer based questions for review? As a MS1 will the Step 1 QBank be something I can use now for review and be helpful (since I'm thinking I'll need all the help I can get)? :)
You might want to consider the Physiology Qbank for use during year one, allowing you to really solidify your knowledge of this very crucial subject. Then, use Step 1 Qbank either during 2nd year or in the final three months or so. The Qbanks are item pools that allow you to custom create by selecting subjects, organ systems, or a combination of both. Tests may be taken timed or untimed (tutorial) mode. After testing, you get detailed feedback, including comprehensive explanations including why each incorrect choice was wrong, rekaps of key aspects, breakdown of performance by many categories such as by subject, by organ system, changed answers, items you spent least or most time answering, etc. Your history is updated each time you use the Qbank. There is also a Qbank called IV organized by symptom, so you choose a symptom like dyspnea and then see cases with that main finding followed by questions from any subject relating to that case. This one is best used a bit later into 2nd year, as it helps you learn to deal with case vignettes and integrate what you have learned from many perspectives.

Is there any sort of difficulty format with the Qbank questions?

I would love to be entered in the Step 1 drawing.

Thanks
I'm not sure what you mean by "difficulty" format, but Qbank does show you how others have done on the item, so you can tell if it's a tough one that many folks missed, or easier in that most got it right. Hope this answers your question.

Have any changes/updates been made to the bank this year?
Yes, the Step 2CK Qbank was just revised and relaunched, so you can be sure that it is current with the changes to the USMLE exam.

I am very interested in step 1 qbank.

My questions are: Is 3 months the typical length of time purchased for Qbank? And what are the fees associated with adding time onto your Qbank should you end up changing your exam date?
Qbank can be purchased for 1 month ($109); 2 months ($149); 3 months ($189); or longer intervals such as 6 or 12 months. Extension prices are: 1 week ($35); 2 weeks ($50); 1 month ($70), etc. so you can extend to suit any additional prep time if you adjust your exam date.

How long can you access the Q banks? If I am taking step in July of 2009, could I buy and use the Q bank starting in January?
You can purchase Qbank for: 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, or 12 months. Extensions of 1 week, 2 weeks, 1, 2 and 3 months are also available.

I've heard some really good reviews about kaplan qbank for step 1. I wanted to know if there's correlation between actual step 1 scores and the perfomance on the qbank??
Yes there is good correlation, providing that you use it properly so that you take tests under similar conditions to what you will encounter on test day (timed mode, fresh questions, mixing questions across subjects and organ systems). In fact, Qbank has a score estimator built right in, so once you have used enough questions to make an estimate meaninful, you can check regularly to see how your Qbank performance would convert to a USMLE score range.

I've used Qbank all the way through so far. I want to continue with Step 3 - please enter me in the raffle!

Status
Not open for further replies.