USMLE Guidance from Admin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

culturekweenXx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it the norm for DO schools not to guide students in registration for the USMLE? Our admin has provided zero information on how to arrange that or even how to decide whether we (OMS2s) should take it. It feels a bit like they're attempting to throw our residency apps under the bus to promote COMLEX-only propaganda.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it the norm for DO schools not to guide students in registration for the USMLE? Our admin has provided zero information on how to arrange that or even how to decide whether we (OMS2s) should take it. It feels a bit like they're attempting to throw our residency apps under the bus to promote COMLEX-only propaganda.
Sadly, at some schools, yes. On the other hand, RVU requires students to take Step I.

There are, alas, too many True Believers in DO school administration who think that COMLEX is all you need. Fortunately, this is not the case at my school.

You'll get good advice on this process in SDN's med student fora. After all, the majority of DO students take Steps. Wise people, those DO students.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup....LECOM made Step 1 a requirement a couple of years ago as well. I think more and more schools will in the future as it seems more residencies are asking for it from DO applicants. I can tell you that a significant quantity of EM programs want Step 1 and Step 2 and don't even care about COMLEX scores. In fact, with Step 1 going pass/fail, Step 2 will be even more important in the future and having the results BEFORE ERAS OPENS could mean the difference between getting 3 interviews and 18.

IIRC you need to have your school authorize you to take USMLE so contact your school's registrar's office and ask. Since your school isn't requiring it, you'll have to pay out of pocket....since LECOM made it mandatory, the cost was rolled into our tuition so the federal loans we were awarded had the Step 1 money rolled in.

Do yourself a favor and don't just use COMBANK/TrueLearn to study for Step 1.....get a Uworld subscription and hit it hard until you take the test....ideally you want to go through it twice prior to test day.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yup....LECOM made Step 1 a requirement a couple of years ago as well. I think more and more schools will in the future as it seems more residencies are asking for it from DO applicants. I can tell you that a significant quantity of EM programs want Step 1 and Step 2 and don't even care about COMLEX scores. In fact, with Step 1 going pass/fail, Step 2 will be even more important in the future and having the results BEFORE ERAS OPENS could mean the difference between getting 3 interviews and 18.

IIRC you need to have your school authorize you to take USMLE so contact your school's registrar's office and ask. Since your school isn't requiring it, you'll have to pay out of pocket....since LECOM made it mandatory, the cost was rolled into our tuition so the federal loans we were awarded had the Step 1 money rolled in.

Do yourself a favor and don't just use COMBANK/TrueLearn to study for Step 1.....get a Uworld subscription and hit it hard until you take the test....ideally you want to go through it twice prior to test day.
Yeah, they're not making it easy for us. Thanks for the advice

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
If admin told students that step was important too, it’d take time away from studying cranial for the comlex.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
If admin told students that step was important too, it’d take time away from studying cranial for the comlex.
I never even bothered to learn any of cranial. I just randomly guessed on the very few cranial questions on L1&2 and spent my time reading/answering the real questions. Didn't harm my scores, either.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes mostly normal. Prepare as though you will take it, take it if/when you’re scoring well enough for your target/cushion to pass at least.

Reactions: 1 users
You mean to say that it doesn't matter that the cranial sutures are beveled, like the gills of a fish?
Sitting for two different boards - $1,200

Doing away rotations all 4th year because your school doesn’t have enough for you - $6,000

Paying for an OMM “uniform” - $50 (idk?)

Having some dope inside jokes with other DOs -****s priceless

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Sitting for two different boards - $1,200

Doing away rotations all 4th year because your school doesn’t have enough for you - $6,000

Paying for an OMM “uniform” - $50 (idk?)

Having some dope inside jokes with other DOs -****s priceless

School “getting us” OME when it’s basically free anyways instead of spending money on UWorld - $500

Reactions: 6 users