Is a DO school able to prevent a student from taking USMLE step 1 or 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIFS7

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just as the title states. Does the school have the final say on a student being able to sit for USMLE 1 or 2 as they do for the COMLEX exams or can one take the exams without the school's approval?

This is a conversation I will have with my school's administration in the coming months, and they are notoriously difficult in allowing students to take the exams. I have no red flags that warrant not being approved so this question just stems from curiosity.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I believe they still have to verify that you’re a student in order for you to sit for the test. So in that case, yes they get the final say on whether you can or cannot take the exam. But I’ve never heard a school preventing a student from taking the exam though, even bottom ranked students.

Mine discouraged but didn't prevent. I wish I could say I'm surprised.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess they technically can because they have some administrative things to do so you can get your USMLE token (I think that’s what it’s called). My school had a brief meeting with people below a certain percentile in class rank to discuss/discourage taking USMLE but still let them even if they were in the bottom quartile. I’ve never heard of someone not being allowed to take it.

The worst part here is that if they don’t let you, I’m not sure who you can complain to.

Edit: hopefully you’re just hearing about difficulties from students the school was worried about taking it.

I guess they technically can because they have some administrative things to do so you can get your USMLE token (I think that’s what it’s called). My school had a brief meeting with people below a certain percentile in class rank to discuss/discourage taking USMLE but still let them even if they were in the bottom quartile. I’ve never heard of someone not being allowed to take it.

The worst part here is that if they don’t let you, I’m not sure who you can complain to.

Edit: hopefully you’re just hearing about difficulties from students the school was worried about taking it.
From what I have heard, they have not prevented anyone from taking it. They just make them jump through extra hoops to be able to take it. Similar to what everyone else has said here.

Your school will need to provide a token in order for you to be eligible to take the exam.
They will be notified of the date you choose to take the exam and if you have cancelled it or re-schedule it within the specified window.
If you exceed the window, they will need to issue another token.

Reactions: 2 users
Your school will need to provide a token in order for you to be eligible to take the exam.
They will be notified of the date you choose to take the exam and if you have cancelled it or re-schedule it within the specified window.
If you exceed the window, they will need to issue another token.
Thank you!

Technically yes but I’ve never heard of a school doing this. Sometimes before you decide on USMLE though, the school may have a mandatory meeting which is basically to discourage, and maybe tell you things like if the school has a mandatory policy to report if you fail or not, and things like that.

Just as the title states. Does the school have the final say on a student being able to sit for USMLE 1 or 2 as they do for the COMLEX exams or can one take the exams without the school's approval?

This is a conversation I will have with my school's administration in the coming months, and they are notoriously difficult in allowing students to take the exams. I have no red flags that warrant not being approved so this question just stems from curiosity.
Schools still need to verify that you're in good standing. They commonly can't prevent you from taking it if say you are in good standing but scoring really low