Step I USMLE neuro & HY neuro

Started by mln
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mln

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've read on this board that while HY neuroanatomy is good, it has more detail than is necessary. For those who have taken the exam, what did you find to be too much detail? Is the exam only info in first aid, just use HY to make sure you understand everything in first aid & to look at the mri's and cross sections in the first chapter? Also, for the neuro part of your exam, what were the images like? were there any cross sections of midbrain/pons/medulla asking to identify nuclei? Or was it mostly mri & ct?

Thanks!
 
I've read on this board that while HY neuroanatomy is good, it has more detail than is necessary. For those who have taken the exam, what did you find to be too much detail? Is the exam only info in first aid, just use HY to make sure you understand everything in first aid & to look at the mri's and cross sections in the first chapter? Also, for the neuro part of your exam, what were the images like? were there any cross sections of midbrain/pons/medulla asking to identify nuclei? Or was it mostly mri & ct?

Thanks!

I also have the same questions. I'm currently working on the neuro section using FA and HY Neuro. I'm finding HY neuro really overwhelming. I don't think I'm going to learn the any other pathways (except those in FA), the crainal nerve nuclei (except the 3 that are in FA), the trigeminal system and slipping out on some other stuff too. I hope I'm doing this right. Neuro is one of my weakest sections.

Just a quick note to the OP. There are also MRI scans on tumors in one of the other chapters in HY. Don't miss out on that.
 
It's so frustrating!! I know I knew this stuff at one time, but I don't think i have enough time to re-learn all of the pathways except for what's in FA. Also, on pg 380 of FA 2008, are all the arrows pointing in the correct direction? They have both the superior oblique & the inferior oblique pointing towards the nose...but the book says both oblique muscles ABduct the eye while the medial rectus, superior rectus, & inferior rectus are responsible for ADducting the eye.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am surprised no one here really uses roadmap neuroscience, that book was a breeze for me to go through. I like to hear some opinions from others..i don't plan on using HY, i have the 2008 roadmap which does a great job of covering all bases in neuro.
 
I loved Roadmap Neuro, it covers everything you need to know with good diagrams. The Kaplan notes are also like a condensed version of roadmap.
 
I bought HY neuro and found it to be poorly written as well. I have the Kaplan books and I find the Neuroanatomy to be pretty well-written. However, as I went through the Kaplan neuro and FA neuro section, the only thing I really needed to transfer into FA were brain stem lesions. I think aside from the brain stem and spinal cord tracts, FA is good enough.

But the nice thing about HY neuro are te MRI and CT images.
 
Oh my word, just started neuro today. Man and I thought biochem was bad.

Neuro is a monster. I mean I'm gonna have issues just memorizing what's in FA, let alone read another book and stuff. It was interesting someone mentioned all the different brainstem nuclei , etc.. I think I'd take 2 days just to get that down.


How do you quiz yourself on neuro in USMLEworld? Do you select anatomy and then select the neural section? Because there's no basic neuroanatomy section option in USMLEworld. Thanks.
 
is it necessary to read the brs chapter for neurophysiology?

hmm yes for the physiology portion of it but you need to have one of the neuro review books to learn your anatomy, lesions, tracts, deficits. Neurophysiology is inadequate for your overall learning..if i understood your question right.
 
Roadmap is much better. The colors make a big difference. I bought all 3: HY Neuroanatomy, HY Brain and Behavior, and Roadmap, and Roadmap was the easiest to use by far. I did look at the pictures in HY NA, but I'm not sure how much that helped.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
our professor here actually had high yield neuro as a REQUIRED book to go with the course.

it's a good book, but it can be difficult depending on how well you did in the class and how well you were taught. I think its really hard to come by professors who know how to "teach" and not just spit out what they've been able to remember from books. anyone can do the latter.
 
I don't think the neuroanatomy in UWorld is bad at all. It's all the freakin' neuropharm that kills me! They ask about EVERY SINGLE neuro/psychiatric drug and obscure side effects. God I hate pharm. I was finishing out the last batch of random unused questions for all of neurology - I did 23 just to kill it off and get it done (I usually do batches of 15), and there were 8 questions that WEREN'T pharmacology. 8 questions that I actually had a shot at, and of course I missed one or two of those, too!
 
I liked Clinical Neuro made ridiculously simple for the initial circle of willis, what happens w/ occlusions, & for the 4 spinal tracts--there simple drawings for those first couple of chapters helped me during neuro class & I went back to it when trying to work thru HY neuro. However, the later chapters once they get to the brainstem aren't very good. The awesome resource I found for brain mri/ct (as well as chest xrays, abdominal mri's) is clinical radiology made ridiculously simple. They have an atlas on disc for the computer where it has normal as well as pathology, & you can put it in quiz mode or have all the arrows identifying stuff. I think it will be useful when starting up on medicine rotation next month too...