mln

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I've read on this board that while HY neuroanatomy is good, it has more detail than is necessary. For those who have taken the exam, what did you find to be too much detail? Is the exam only info in first aid, just use HY to make sure you understand everything in first aid & to look at the mri's and cross sections in the first chapter? Also, for the neuro part of your exam, what were the images like? were there any cross sections of midbrain/pons/medulla asking to identify nuclei? Or was it mostly mri & ct?

Thanks!

medstu2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2005
Status
I've read on this board that while HY neuroanatomy is good, it has more detail than is necessary. For those who have taken the exam, what did you find to be too much detail? Is the exam only info in first aid, just use HY to make sure you understand everything in first aid & to look at the mri's and cross sections in the first chapter? Also, for the neuro part of your exam, what were the images like? were there any cross sections of midbrain/pons/medulla asking to identify nuclei? Or was it mostly mri & ct?

Thanks!
I also have the same questions. I'm currently working on the neuro section using FA and HY Neuro. I'm finding HY neuro really overwhelming. I don't think I'm going to learn the any other pathways (except those in FA), the crainal nerve nuclei (except the 3 that are in FA), the trigeminal system and slipping out on some other stuff too. I hope I'm doing this right. Neuro is one of my weakest sections.

Just a quick note to the OP. There are also MRI scans on tumors in one of the other chapters in HY. Don't miss out on that.

OP
M

mln

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2005
Status
Medical Student
It's so frustrating!! I know I knew this stuff at one time, but I don't think i have enough time to re-learn all of the pathways except for what's in FA. Also, on pg 380 of FA 2008, are all the arrows pointing in the correct direction? They have both the superior oblique & the inferior oblique pointing towards the nose...but the book says both oblique muscles ABduct the eye while the medial rectus, superior rectus, & inferior rectus are responsible for ADducting the eye.

lilzelda2

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2007
Status
Jesus I thought I was the only one being killed by HY Neuro. Its taking me forever to get through and its just way to much

Lamborghini1315

Sleep deprived
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status
MD/PhD Student
I am surprised no one here really uses roadmap neuroscience, that book was a breeze for me to go through. I like to hear some opinions from others..i don't plan on using HY, i have the 2008 roadmap which does a great job of covering all bases in neuro.

JDWflash44

Workin it...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
Cleveland
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I loved Roadmap Neuro, it covers everything you need to know with good diagrams. The Kaplan notes are also like a condensed version of roadmap.

agranulocytosis

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I bought HY neuro and found it to be poorly written as well. I have the Kaplan books and I find the Neuroanatomy to be pretty well-written. However, as I went through the Kaplan neuro and FA neuro section, the only thing I really needed to transfer into FA were brain stem lesions. I think aside from the brain stem and spinal cord tracts, FA is good enough.

But the nice thing about HY neuro are te MRI and CT images.

JaSam

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 17, 2008
Status
Oh my word, just started neuro today. Man and I thought biochem was bad.

Neuro is a monster. I mean I'm gonna have issues just memorizing what's in FA, let alone read another book and stuff. It was interesting someone mentioned all the different brainstem nuclei , etc.. I think I'd take 2 days just to get that down.

How do you quiz yourself on neuro in USMLEworld? Do you select anatomy and then select the neural section? Because there's no basic neuroanatomy section option in USMLEworld. Thanks.

obiwan

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2006
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
is it necessary to read the brs chapter for neurophysiology?

Lamborghini1315

Sleep deprived
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status
MD/PhD Student
is it necessary to read the brs chapter for neurophysiology?
hmm yes for the physiology portion of it but you need to have one of the neuro review books to learn your anatomy, lesions, tracts, deficits. Neurophysiology is inadequate for your overall learning..if i understood your question right.

-Goose-

10+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Whoa. HY NA is sooo much more than I remember it being. Guess I'm sticking more to FA + UW. I'm beginning to see a pattern of this.

jeffsleepy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2002
Visit site
Status
Roadmap is much better. The colors make a big difference. I bought all 3: HY Neuroanatomy, HY Brain and Behavior, and Roadmap, and Roadmap was the easiest to use by far. I did look at the pictures in HY NA, but I'm not sure how much that helped.

medstylee

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
this is like the next logical progression from the "biochem hell" thread.

MedLover25

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2008
Status
Medical Student
our professor here actually had high yield neuro as a REQUIRED book to go with the course.

it's a good book, but it can be difficult depending on how well you did in the class and how well you were taught. I think its really hard to come by professors who know how to "teach" and not just spit out what they've been able to remember from books. anyone can do the latter.

SurferBoyMD

Back in the water!
10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Clinical Neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple??? :thumbup: :thumbdown:?

Rogue Synapse

The Dude Has Got No Mercy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't think the neuroanatomy in UWorld is bad at all. It's all the freakin' neuropharm that kills me! They ask about EVERY SINGLE neuro/psychiatric drug and obscure side effects. God I hate pharm. I was finishing out the last batch of random unused questions for all of neurology - I did 23 just to kill it off and get it done (I usually do batches of 15), and there were 8 questions that WEREN'T pharmacology. 8 questions that I actually had a shot at, and of course I missed one or two of those, too!

OP
M

mln

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I liked Clinical Neuro made ridiculously simple for the initial circle of willis, what happens w/ occlusions, & for the 4 spinal tracts--there simple drawings for those first couple of chapters helped me during neuro class & I went back to it when trying to work thru HY neuro. However, the later chapters once they get to the brainstem aren't very good. The awesome resource I found for brain mri/ct (as well as chest xrays, abdominal mri's) is clinical radiology made ridiculously simple. They have an atlas on disc for the computer where it has normal as well as pathology, & you can put it in quiz mode or have all the arrows identifying stuff. I think it will be useful when starting up on medicine rotation next month too...