USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Took it late Jan. Will receive score in 3 weeks. UWorld 2.5x as well OnlineMedEd 1:5xish. Both are amazing. I was worried I was memorizing UWorld instead of medicine for CK but I ended up seeing a ton of stuff directly similar to UWorld and a ton of stuff OnlineMedEd directly warned me I would see. Some shelf stuff too. I also received a question that was in USMLE Step 1 Qbank in behavioral psych, the F?

What killed me though was my lack of sleep, I only got 4 hours of sleep the night before because I was so anxious. :/ hope I still scored alright. I consistently ran out of time near the last 2-3 questions and had to guess based on a quick glance of the question. Also I was unsure on so many easy ones and realized after the exam I had made a stupid reasoning error on a question I spent for ever on and wake up every morning with a new question I probably got wrong. For what it’s worth, I was 4/4 on questions where you receive feedback if you got them right or wrong by looking at the next question..but I know I didn’t do well and felt like **** coming out, initially after the first few blocks I was like omg this is going really well but then around block 5 I completely messed up with timing and had to straight up guess on the last question because I ran out of time and didn’t make my best effort on the question before. That’s happened on block 7&8 as well so that’s likely 3 wrong automatically plus the ones I guessed on are probably wrong in a rush are probably wrong as well. I really hated it when I got a Cardiology question late in the exam because it’s a strong point but under a 30 second time constraint I had to guess on those and that really doesn’t sit well with me.
Edit: So far pretty sure I answered 4 incorrect so far...
Edit: (2/13) guaranteed 7 wrong plies guessed on last 2-3 for half the sectioned

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Users, please remember any testing you take has a Non Disclosure Agreement associated with it. Please do not attempt to solicit information of specific questions in-thread or by private message. This is not the culture SDN intends to create and if this happens in the future, action may be taken against users.

Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Background: 250s, so not killer but what I was personally aiming for.

For CK I used literally only uworld, one time through, timed by rotation blocks. No dedicated study time, so I never put in more than a few hours in a given day (and studied very non-continuously) and just spread it out over several months.

Probably the most useful part of my post - all practice tests were taken within a month of the exam (all 3 NBMEs and 2 UWSA) and all were within 5 points of my actual score - they were crazy predictive for me and I clearly didn't gain much the last month haha.

Exam day was just long - timing was the most difficult part for me and I don't think I finished any section with more than a few seconds left (some I had to more or less guess at the last couple of questions). I left feeling so foggy I didn't have a sense of what I missed (unlike step 1 where I remembered a bunch of discrete questions), which made the waiting period for the score a lot easier (no like remembering questions and frantically googling). Good luck!

Last edited:
Got my score an hour ago

This question is for any IMGs who are going into the upcoming match. If you recently got your score, did your ROL become verified the same day or did it take a while? Just need to know how quick ECFMG verifies applicants. Thanks!

Here is my CK experience
I am an IMG graduated at 2011.
Only used uworld qbank
Final score 250
NBME 4: 250 (4 w before exam)
UWSA 1: 259 (2 w before exam)
UWSA 2: 250 (2 w before exam)

Reactions: 4 users
Can anyone recommend whether it's worth doing UWx2 + incorrects x1 versus doing UWx1 + incorrects x1 and getting through Masaya anki deck peds/ob/surgery/cardio/psych sections and having those on review by test day?

Trying to figure out whether to get through UW once more in full or keep working through these cards. I did make some of my own cards going through uworld the first time. Test is in 2 months.

Can anyone recommend whether it's worth doing UWx2 + incorrects x1 versus doing UWx1 + incorrects x1 and getting through Masaya anki deck peds/ob/surgery/cardio/psych sections and having those on review by test day?

Trying to figure out whether to get through UW once more in full or keep working through these cards. I did make some of my own cards going through uworld the first time. Test is in 2 months.

I did UWorld twice, made flashcards for incorrects my second time around and for those questions I felt I subconsciously remembered. Then did OME videos for the sections I scored lowest on UW and practice exams. OB and Peds. Subsequently they ended up being my highest section scores on the real deal.

Don't know anything about this Masaya anki deck so I can't comment there.

I did UWorld twice, made flashcards for incorrects my second time around and for those questions I felt I subconsciously remembered. Then did OME videos for the sections I scored lowest on UW and practice exams. OB and Peds. Subsequently they ended up being my highest section scores on the real deal.

Don't know anything about this Masaya anki deck so I can't comment there.
Alright, I might go ahead and reset the qbank and get started on a 2nd full pass. I forget there are self assessments and NBMEs to get through also.

Alright, I might go ahead and reset the qbank and get started on a 2nd full pass. I forget there are self assessments and NBMEs to get through also.

Yeah I live in the world of less is more when it comes to board prep. Pick a few things and know them like the back of your hand as opposed to having tons of different resources, that just gets overwhelming. My step 2 prep was purely UWorld, OnlineMedEd, and practice exams. Nothing else.

Yeah I live in the world of less is more when it comes to board prep. Pick a few things and know them like the back of your hand as opposed to having tons of different resources, that just gets overwhelming. My step 2 prep was purely UWorld, OnlineMedEd, and practice exams. Nothing else.

Totally has nothing to do with this post but your username = thumbs up

Would like to get a 260+ on Step 2 CK!
Step 1 was 244 but most of my NBME shelf percentiles ranged in 40s to 50s with the exception of 80th in Psych.
Currently on ob/gyn (~3 weeks left), then I have 4 weeks dedicated for Step 2 CK which will be in April.
Plan on taking CS in July.
Sounds like the plan is to use UWorld as the main resource, with Step Up To Medicine and OnlineMedEd to help. I want to reset my UWorld questions during my ob/gyn block and try to do as many as I can before heading into dedicated. Anyone have any tips or advice? TY

NBME 6: 203 (1.5 weeks ago)
NBME 8: 218 and UWSA 1: 242 (few days ago, tried to simulate the actual test day)

Exam is in 1.5 weeks. My goal is a 260 and my Step 1 was a 244. My plan is to finish up the ~400 UW remaining questions before taking UWSA 2 this Friday, then in the last week do the UW incorrects along with Step Up To Medicine chapters, USMLE Step 2 Secrets. Maybe quickly go through BRS Peds and Pestana if I have time.

Anyone have any suggestions?

NBME 6: 203 (1.5 weeks ago)
NBME 8: 218 and UWSA 1: 242 (few days ago, tried to simulate the actual test day)

Exam is in 1.5 weeks. My goal is a 260 and my Step 1 was a 244. My plan is to finish up the ~400 UW remaining questions before taking UWSA 2 this Friday, then in the last week do the UW incorrects along with Step Up To Medicine chapters, USMLE Step 2 Secrets. Maybe quickly go through BRS Peds and Pestana if I have time.

Anyone have any suggestions?
heyy what was your score finally? :)

NBME 6 6/18 : 242
NBME 7 6/19 : 230
UWSA 1 6/30 : 265

Exam on July 23rd. Do I trust my UWSA score and go with the flow and trust my prep? or get cynical that it was a lucky day and work harder? In other words, any thoughts on if whether or not UWSA 1 can be trusted?

I guess being paranoid is natural for a first time 260 scorer?

Will be doing NBME 8 and UWSA closer to exam date

Just got my score back today so I thought I would share.
Step 1: 247
Step 2 CK: 264
Step 2 CS: Please god be a pass

I took 4 weeks off after finishing 3rd year to complete CK, CS and OSCE. I spent the first week decompressing/relaxing/drinking beer and started studying in earnest week 2. Studied for ~2.5 weeks using UWorld and anki cards I had made throughout 3rd year. Reset UWorld after 3rd year and got through 51% of it before test day with 83% correct (don't remember what my first pass score was). I was genuinely concerned that my UWorld performance was in part from remembering questions from my first pass (at least subconsciously), however it looks like I might have actually learned some stuff during 3rd year. I didn't use any practice tests because I found UWorld to be a better predictor of my score for Step 1, so I instead did 4 blocks of UWorld in a row before reviewing the answers to simulate the exam. Generally though, I kept consistent with doing 2 blocks per day with review and however many flash cards I had time for.

The test felt way harder than I expected. There were multiple questions where I selected an answer I had never heard of before because the other options didn't seem correct. I tried to get through it as fast as possible because my endurance wanes towards the end of the day so I only took two breaks (after block 3 and block 6). I'm generally a fast test taker and had ~10-20 minutes left at the end of each block. Walking out of the test I felt like I had at least passed, but the score today was a total surprise. I think it's easy to fixate on difficult questions that you may have pooched and forget about the ones you knew and breezed through.

I think I was helped a lot by having medicine as my last rotation because the test is at least half IM. I probably would have given myself closer to 3-4 weeks to study if I was coming off a different rotation but I had just gone through ~700-800 UWorld questions over the past 2 months for medicine. As it was though, I'm glad I only took 2 weeks because I felt I had reached the point of diminishing returns and was sick of studying by the time I took the test.

Good luck to those who haven't taken the plunge yet!
I have the exact same scores as you! 247 on step 1 and 264 on step 2. What did you match into?

I don't usually post on these bulletins; however, this thread really helped me gauge where I would land as far as my final Step 2 CK score.

My only study material was UWorld, uworld, and more uworld! I went through UWorld x 3 times during my Step 2 CK prep while making thousands and thousands of flashcards from essentially every single question explanation.

On UWSA1, I scored a 242
On UWSA2 (which I thought was significantly more difficult), I scored 230

Took the REAL DEAL in October 2018 and scored a 237!!!

...Practically right smack in the middle of both UWorld assessments.

Last edited: