Quantcast

USMLE required for allopathic OBGYN residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minime

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm an MS3 at UHS-COM in Kansas City. I've been researching allopathic OBGYN programs in the Southeast. Many have DO's in training, but I just wondered if anyone knew which places absolutely required the USMLE (which I did not take-did well on Comlex, though). I know that many do not, but most websites are a little vague. Thanks for any help.
T

Global Disrobal

Along for the ride
Moderator Emeritus
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a friend in your same position. She called the programs in August (when things were calm) and asked the programs what they wanted.

I wish I knew what the answer was...but if I hear from her I'll let you know. I do know that she had trouble with FL at first because they were asking her to do a 1 year training before coming into the OB program.

nejdo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most places don't require the USMLE, although many prefer you to have taken it. I ended up taking the USMLE step 2 only b/c I found a lot of programs still would ask about it. However, I got most of my interviews before I even took it. It is definitely location-dependent though...the more DO-friendly places (Midwest/Northeast) are familiar w/ the test so they don't question it. If I had it to do over again, I would've taken both steps though. Hope that helps...

minime

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply jst. I'd love to go to somewhere in Tennessee since I'm from SE KY. I emailed the PD at ETSU last year and he said that they currently take the Comlex, but starting in 2005 they will require the USMLE. It seemed kind of weird to me-maybe he's had a bad experience with one of the DO residents there. Anyway, thanks for the info.
t