USMLE requirements for Pain Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr green

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Steps 1-3 of USMLE are always required for allopathic pain managment fellowships, or if the COMLEX series can be accepted? I am an osteopathic medical student, and will complete all 3 levels of COMLEX, and have also completed USMLE step 1 and Step 2CK. I am wondering if I should take Step 2CE so that I would be eligible for Step 3 next year? I am wondering if completing all steps of USMLE would be mandatory, or if most programs accept COMLEX? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if Steps 1-3 of USMLE are always required for allopathic pain managment fellowships, or if the COMLEX series can be accepted? I am an osteopathic medical student, and will complete all 3 levels of COMLEX, and have also completed USMLE step 1 and Step 2CK. I am wondering if I should take Step 2CE so that I would be eligible for Step 3 next year? I am wondering if completing all steps of USMLE would be mandatory, or if most programs accept COMLEX? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

COMLEX is fine, thats all you need.

COMLEX is fine, thats all you need.

Ditto on the COMLEX. No one asked me once where were my USMLE scores were when I applied for fellowships. You can take it for comfort sake, but you've already done the two more important USMLE Steps anyways. The Step 3 (COMLEX or USMLE) is usually used to make sure you will be able to be licensed wherever you go...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat. Of course Ive put my step 3 off far longer than I should have! That being said- I to have taken Step 1& 2 Comlex & USMLE. I am taking Step 3 Comlex soon, and debating wheher its worth the blood, sweat & tears to sit through two more days of testing- particularly when Ill be using vacation time to take the exam. I almost feel like I've come this far may as well knock the 3rd one out. Any more thoughts?

I am in the same boat. Of course Ive put my step 3 off far longer than I should have! That being said- I to have taken Step 1& 2 Comlex & USMLE. I am taking Step 3 Comlex soon, and debating wheher its worth the blood, sweat & tears to sit through two more days of testing- particularly when Ill be using vacation time to take the exam. I almost feel like I've come this far may as well knock the 3rd one out. Any more thoughts?
Take COMLEX step 3 ASAP. Why waste more time studying topic like OB/GYN when you're training is in something totally different? Also COMLEX 3 is only one day on computer. I honestly had a better time taking step 3 on computer compared to the old days of steps 1 & 2 which were 2 days long.